Irish has been here for 10 days now...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
Today is day 10 since Irish came to us. I am HAPPY to say, she is filling out very nicely. I have been letting her in the house (as opposed to keeping her in the porch 24/7) and she has some manners to learn in regards to not snarling at the other dogs, not chewing on everything, and not getting into the garbage, but we are working on these things, and with patience, she will thrive, I am sure!

Tonight our daughter and her family came out (for the second time since we got Irish) and had Chriostmas Dinner. She told me that they would like to provide a home for Irish. Their Boxer, "Roxy" is lonely for a friend since they lost their Whippet, "Tina" to a tragic drowning this past summer. They will wait until after the New Year to take her home.

Thanks again to all of you for your supportive comments and prayers for Irish...they seem to have paid off, as she is coming right along! She has some sores/scars, and she had froze all her nipples but they have all peeled off now. My only concerns will have to be taken care of when she goes in for her spay on Jan. 6, and that is she has some lumps in her teats.

[SIZE=14pt]BEFORE: (at time of arrival here)[/SIZE]

before1.jpg

before2.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]AFTER: (Photos taken today...Christmas Day, after just 10 days. Amazing what a little food can do!)[/SIZE]

after1.jpg

after2.jpg

after3.jpg

after4.jpg

after5.jpg

after6.jpg

after7.jpg

after8.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]Irish's Christmas Pics:[/SIZE]

irishxmas.jpg

irishxmas2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bless you Mona, you are a real angel to her. She is looking so nice. It's great that your daughter is taking her, she'll have her own family.

She is looking FANTASTIC! I see HOPE in her eyes now.

What a wonderful job you're doing with her.........Ummm.......Are you falling in love?

Good heavens Mona, could you possibly have a Vizsla there?

Look at this pic

She looks wonderful!

VIZULA.jpg

She has such a beautiful rich red color! I'm glad she is going to have her own home now with your daughter. Bless all of you.

Oh Mona, I am way behind in my reading here on LB but may I applaud your rescue of this lovely lady. She looks 10 times better and I am so glad she'll have a new home with a friend. Her aggressive snarls are only show, she is used to fighting to live and eat. She is already got that shine in her eye of trust and hope. The aggression will fade as she figures food is always there when she needs it. Bless you both and your daughter too for wanting her.

She is looking so much better! Happy tears here! Love her Christmas picture! No doubt if you had not taken her in there would have never been a Christmas picture!

Hi Marty. No, she is not a Vizsla. Another friend of mine also suggested that to me when she first arrived, but upon researching the breed, I decided she does not fit the breed criteria. They have a more orangy/light reddish/rusty coat color, whereas Irish's color is as deep a red as you can get, and Vizslas also only have only self-colored pigment, whereas Irish has black. Someone on the forum stated in my original thread they felt she looked to be a Redbone Coonhound (I believe she said her brother raised that breed??), and I did research that also, and Irish definately seems to fit that breed descrpition.

Here's a pic of a Redbone Coonhound.

redbone.jpg

Wow Mona, she definately looks like a different dog! She looked so scared and depressed in the first pics, and she's alert and happy in the after pics.
default_smile.png

I looked at her pictures again and she may have some sight loss. Usually they have a red glow in their eyes. She has a gray cast. I don't think it will harm her but just an observation.

She is looking so much better. Love the Christmas pics. I'm so glad your daughter is giving her a home.

Barbie

Irish sure looks so much better than when you first posted about her. Glad to hear that your daughter will be taking her and that she remains in the family. Thanks for the love and care you have given to her and others that have come you way. You are a special person bless you.

She looks absolutely wonderful! I'm sitting here with a smile knowing how frightened and tired she looked before and how happy she looks now in those pics. I hope all goes well at the vets when she gets spayed and that he gives her a good bill of health. Hope those bumps aren't anything of concern. Please do keep us posted. She's such a beautiful girl!

Thanks all, and yes, I will keep you all informed of her progress.
default_smile.png
Also, as to her breed, I did write an email (complete with photos) to the Redbone Coonhound Association of America to ask their opinion and received this reply, so I am satisfied with the answer that she is indeed a Redbone Coonhound.

Mona, Yes, she is definetely a Redbone Coonhound. Glad to know that someone was able to help her and give her a home. Thank you and if you need anything further feel free to contact me.

Thanks,

Christine Smith

Redbone Coonhound Association of America

It's probably obvious by now, Mona........But your beautiful red IRISH has touched my heart and many others' as well...... Please don't stop with the updates. And I hope we continue getting some after she joins your daughter's household too.

Latest posts

Back