Ireland Trip, I'm so excited had to share!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim~Crayonboxminiatures

Reaction score
My mom & my sister and I are officially traveling in Ireland in May!
default_biggrin.png
default_aktion033.gif

Our flights first/last nights have been booked for a month, I've been busy researching and now reserving our accomodations this week. We will be flying into Dublin, spending one night at a hotel, then traveling to Cruit Island to stay in a self-catering thatched cottage (with sea view!) for 3 nights. After that we will tour around Sligo on our way to Castlebar/Westport area for one night at a hotel. Then on to Leenane/Connemara area for 2 nights at a hostel, Doolin for 2 nights (hopefully at a B&B), and then Dingle (hopefully another B & B) for 3 nights, before we head to Shannon for the night to fly home the next morning.

I don't travel like this very often, just too hard to leave the critters behind, so this is a treat! I am enjoying the anticipation, and preperations. We bought a laminated map and have been marking things with dry erase markers, and hope to trace our route/journeys on it as we go so we can frame it maybe with some photos when we get home.

I am so jealous!!!! How fantastic!

Oh you are going to have so much fun and make so many memories....
default_wub.png
default_aktion033.gif

Ireland is truely magical! I lived there for 1.5 years and I LONG to go back! When I was there, I lived out in the country and didn't get to see any of it. (Only Dublin-which I love) So take lots of pics to share please!

I just heard back from the B & B in Dingle, so have booked that one now also.
default_aktion033.gif

Thanks for responding, I will be taking lots of pictures, and I will share when I get back!

That is very exciting!!!
default_aktion033.gif

The part I love the most is that you are going with your mom and sister! That is awesome
default_wub.png

Take LOTS of pictures!!!
default_biggrin.png

AND if you want, I can loan you an ' (apostrophe) for the trip
shamrock3.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry! I keep getting double posts on LB
default_rolleyes.gif

That is very exciting!!!
default_aktion033.gif

The part I love the most is that you are going with your mom and sister! That is awesome
default_wub.png
Me too! We haven't traveled internationally together before, so it's going to be a blast. We are a close family, my sis is my best friend, so we are going to have so much fun!!

AND if you want, I can loan you an ' (apostrophe) for the trip
I can be slow at times, can't figure this one out, LOL, you'll have to explain...

That's wonderful! Sounds like you'll be taking in a variety of places and accommodation types so it will be fun to see what you like best when you get back. Have an amazing time!

Leia

I can be slow at times, can't figure this one out, LOL, you'll have to explain...
Kim, I was just making a (most probably lame) joke about loaning you the apostrophe from my last name so you can feel more Irish for the trip. My last name (O'Roark) is Irish and lots of Irish names have apostrophes
default_biggrin.png

Bring me back something that has to do with the REDMOND Family. We keep getting travel stuff from Ireland and the Redmond heritage. Can't go. Can't afford it. I think it would be fun.

Kim, I was just making a (most probably lame) joke about loaning you the apostrophe from my last name so you can feel more Irish for the trip. My last name (O'Roark) is Irish and lots of Irish names have apostrophes
Haha, somehow O'Landis just doesn't have the same ring to it!!
default_wink.png

WooHoo , youre going to love it ! If you get bored you can spend an afternoon at a horse show (our main show season starts in May)

WooHoo , youre going to love it ! If you get bored you can spend an afternoon at a horse show (our main show season starts in May)
Is there a place to find the dates/locations of the shows?? I would love to see one, my sister and mom are in trouble now!! Good thing I'm the one driving so they are at my mercy for where we go.
default_wink.png

Is there a place to find the dates/locations of the shows?? I would love to see one, my sister and mom are in trouble now!! Good thing I'm the one driving so they are at my mercy for where we go.
default_wink.png

the irish shows assoc does have a list but ts hasnt been updated yet (http://www.irishshowsassociation.ie/showDates.asp

plus its not just minis its for all breeds ,

Ive looked for show dates in May along the west coast and all I can find is the Newmarket on Fergus show in co clare , its usually in the first week of May and has 10 classes for miniatures plus a championship , its not just mini showing theres also showjumping etc ,

Balmoral is a big show (biggest in Ireland) thats on May 11th -13th , its usually televised and it had miniatures last year for the first time http://www.balmoralshow.co.uk/index.html

Ballymena is another two day show with 10-15 classes for minis http://www.ballymenashow.co.uk/ thats at the end of May

If I find anything else for that month Ill let you know

Envy, envy!
default_drool5.gif
Have a wonderful trip, take lots of pictures and enjoy your family time. My older daughter and I did a European trip a few years ago, and it was something I cherish. We were on a schedule and I didn't get to drag her to horse shows though....next time!
default_smile.png

Jan

Im in the centre of Ireland but I will be going to the Newmarket on fergus show, if you decide to go there Id love to meet you
default_biggrin.png

If you haven't already read the Maeve Binchey novels there are some nice ones with references to those places you mention.

Echoes, Nights of Rain and Stars, View from Castle Ridge and more.

My grandfather was born on the boat which sailed from Sligo to come to Canada. His parents were James and Eliza Nixon and they crossed the Atlantic in 1841.

My great grandparents were from Fermanagh County in Ulster, North Irish Presbyterians. (the frozen chosen
default_wink.png
)

I hope to go to Ireland one day. Looking forward to hearing of your journey when you get home.

Latest posts

Back