Iowa Club show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manyspots

Reaction score
Many of you have been following the shows this year and how they have turned out, so I thought I would let you in on our Iowa Club show we had this past weekend. The show was a credited AMHR show, minis only, held in Des Moines, Iowa at the Iowa State Fairgrounds. We used a really nice and large outdoor with roof overhead arena. It was right besides a building that we were stalled in so not a lot of walking to get there. The building we were stalled in was so clean. There were many wash racks available. The show's horse numbers were 176 horses but as I understand it was 170-173 horses that actually showed. Most of the classes were large, youth classes and the performance classes were finding many entries. The show had four judges that found themselves busy with little time to rest as the classes moved fairly fast. The friendly atmoshere of everyone was something every show should have. People seemed to want to visit with each other and there was great support for the winners with others cheering them on. Our weather on Saturday was a tad bit on the chilly side for July in Iowa, some horses were a bit more frisky feeling good in the show ring. Sunday brought more sunshine and warmth although far from hot , really the weather couldn't have been much more perfect. The show ran smoothly even with the large number of entries, and a big thank you to the ring staff as they worked so hard to keep the show moving. There were many exhibitors from other states than Iowa and their attendence was much appreciated and enjoyed. Some said it was almost a "mini" Nationals, considering the varitey of classes offered and the size of the classes. The horses were beautifully groomed and presented, many hours of work had been put into them. I would like to personally thank those of you that attended, we all enjoyed you as exhibitors supporting our show and most of all as friends. Lavonne

Wow, that sounded like a nice show and what a great turnout you had! That is really nice! Wish I lived in an area where they had bigger R shows - and we didnt have any this year here.
default_sad.png

Many of you have been following the shows this year and how they have turned out, so I thought I would let you in on our Iowa Club show we had this past weekend. The show was a credited AMHR show, minis only, held in Des Moines, Iowa at the Iowa State Fairgrounds. We used a really nice and large outdoor with roof overhead arena. It was right besides a building that we were stalled in so not a lot of walking to get there. The building we were stalled in was so clean. There were many wash racks available. The show's horse numbers were 176 horses but as I understand it was 170-173 horses that actually showed. Most of the classes were large, youth classes and the performance classes were finding many entries. The show had four judges that found themselves busy with little time to rest as the classes moved fairly fast. The friendly atmoshere of everyone was something every show should have. People seemed to want to visit with each other and there was great support for the winners with others cheering them on. Our weather on Saturday was a tad bit on the chilly side for July in Iowa, some horses were a bit more frisky feeling good in the show ring. Sunday brought more sunshine and warmth although far from hot , really the weather couldn't have been much more perfect. The show ran smoothly even with the large number of entries, and a big thank you to the ring staff as they worked so hard to keep the show moving. There were many exhibitors from other states than Iowa and their attendence was much appreciated and enjoyed. Some said it was almost a "mini" Nationals, considering the varitey of classes offered and the size of the classes. The horses were beautifully groomed and presented, many hours of work had been put into them. I would like to personally thank those of you that attended, we all enjoyed you as exhibitors supporting our show and most of all as friends. Lavonne
I know the covered pen, as it was the one that was originally behind the horse stall barns. I'm guessing this means that stalling was in the hog barn (only barn I remember riding past that was next to the covered pens)? We were just there showing at the AQHA 7-day run the first week of June. Stalled in the horse barn, but had to lead, or ride to the covered pen to practice. We showed in the Coliseum, so LOTS of walking for us that week. What kind of stalls did they put in the building for the AMHR show?

We used the new cattle barn to the East of the arena, right out the side door, so not much walking for us. They used 90 of the State Fairs portable stalls and rented the others from the Petty Co. It was really nice, airy and clean in the barn.

Looks to me like the State Fair should purchase a lot more instead of renting stalls. With the new Arena/Exposition Hall that is being built they are going to take out 1/3rd of the west side of horse barn, all the wooden stalls and put in portable stalls in hopes of having more stalling. I wish they would build another horse barn, huge and then more of the larger shows could be there. A large draft horse show is scheduled in the Expo hall for 2010 but where are they going to put all the horses (and the large semis that haul them and the wagons?)

Lavonne

We were there! I have to say I wondered what kind of a building we would be in and the surroundings when I heard of the change. But I did not have to worry. The barn was very nice, new and clean. Stalls were nice and opened and closed easily. All we had to do was walk across the driveway to the show ring. This club really does a nice job of hosting a show. We have gone several years now and never disappointed.

About the only thing that was tight was getting back up to the barn with the truck and trailer to pack. Many people had pulled their trailers up to the barn and parked. It made it hard to come up and load. Parking was off the grounds, so a little hike but not too bad.

I also enjoyed the photographer. They said it was their first horse show (they usually do dog shows) but did a nice job. I also liked that they had a person walking around the whole show taking "candid" shots. She took the cutest picture of my 3 year old daughter and her horse.

Yes it was a bit chilly bathing horses Friday night, and Saturday a bit cool. But who's complaining? Not me, last year it was 100+ degrees.

I really enjoyed the nice sized classes. Was it one of our best shows, have to say no. But you can't win all of the time and I would rather do ok with a big class then be the only one in it.

Thank you to Lavonne and the rest of people who helped put this show on! Hope to see you there again next year!

We used the new cattle barn to the East of the arena, right out the side door, so not much walking for us. They used 90 of the State Fairs portable stalls and rented the others from the Petty Co. It was really nice, airy and clean in the barn. Looks to me like the State Fair should purchase a lot more instead of renting stalls. With the new Arena/Exposition Hall that is being built they are going to take out 1/3rd of the west side of horse barn, all the wooden stalls and put in portable stalls in hopes of having more stalling. I wish they would build another horse barn, huge and then more of the larger shows could be there. A large draft horse show is scheduled in the Expo hall for 2010 but where are they going to put all the horses (and the large semis that haul them and the wagons?)

Lavonne

Remembered right after I posted that there was a "horse barn" attached to the covered pen that was supposed to be for smaller venues. I didn't go in it though, and didn't hear how many stalls that building had. I'm guessing with the listed number of animals, and you saying it was in the cattle barn, that it was more than they would have had room for in that attached horse barn. Sounds like a very nice show. I enjoyed showing at Des Moines, especially since most of our shows we don't see the light of day except when we go out to our trucks, lol. It's kind of nice to see some scenery from time-to-time showing horses, lol. It will really be something when they get that new arena completed, and should allow the fair grounds to be used for more of the year than they currently are able.

the barn we were in was the new stalling barn it is just across the street to the east from the covered arena it can be set-up with cattle tie rings walls or the walls can be removed for portable stalls to be installed for horses we had 179 stalls that we used & they could have put more stalls in

we had several vendors Herrons tack, Edge Pro, My furry friends photo, & Pleasant Veiw tack-mini halters.com

www.myfurryfriendsphoto.com

herronstables.com

theedgepro.com

minihalters.com

overall most people were happy with the barn & arena setup

the judges, steward, show manager, show manager's helper, gate people, ribbon people all worked a lot of hours & did a good job

thank you

Brian Crise

Back