Introducing Beet Pulp

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i mix mine in with their feed and they love it. I just add a scoop of beet pulp and a two scoops of grain and they clean it up. I love it and they do to. Keep on they will get the hang of it ad clean it up in no time.
default_biggrin.png

Two of my horses do not seem to be familiar with beet pulp, and I would like the horses to have it especially during the colder season.

So far I've tried (it is soaked 6+ hours by the way):

- giving it to them straight

- putting it one one side of the feed dish, pellets on the other

- sprinkling a spoonful of brown sugar in it

- chopping carrots and mixing them in

All they do is eat around it, like I'm trying to make a little kid eat brussels sprouts. Do you just keep putting it in front of them and sooner or later they learn to like it, or am I wasting time/feed?

My other mare from another farm loves beet pulp and tears into it enthusiastically, leaving her pelleted feed for last!

Two of my horses do not seem to be familiar with beet pulp, and I would like the horses to have it especially during the colder season.

So far I've tried (it is soaked 6+ hours by the way):

- giving it to them straight

- putting it one one side of the feed dish, pellets on the other

- sprinkling a spoonful of brown sugar in it

- chopping carrots and mixing them in

All they do is eat around it, like I'm trying to make a little kid eat brussels sprouts. Do you just keep putting it in front of them and sooner or later they learn to like it, or am I wasting time/feed?

My other mare from another farm loves beet pulp and tears into it enthusiastically, leaving her pelleted feed for last!

Excellent info provided by others, thanks you! I'm always looking to learn new things, and I learn a lot here.

A couple other points I don't think were covered above...

Under "what is beet pulp good for" - it's a great way to help keep minis hydrated in the colder weather, when the "suddenly decide" that it's too cold to drink water... (Just so you know, I've been lugging warm water from the kitchen sink for the past week, that's another way we convince them to keep drinking in the winter...)

Under "how to get them to eat it" - you can buy the shreds, which are non-pelleted but are sometimes large and yucky-looking (IMO) - my horses wouldn't eat that kind very well. They do like the pelleted kind, which has much smaller pieces, and I soak it by pouring LOTS of boiling water over it, wait an hour, then feed. You can also look for the kind with a bit of molasses added, that is a big hit around here.

Hope this is helpful!

I get the shredded Beet Pulp. I feed 1 1/2 cup Soaked in 2 cups hot water. I soak it for about 15-20 min. It soaks up all the water in that length of time. It is still warm when I feed it. I add 1 cup of ManaPro SR on top of the beet pulp so it ends up on the bottom in the feed tub. They love it. I ran out last night and had to feed just hay this morning. They looked at me like I was crazy. I told them "Sorry kids, it's cold cerial this morning" Anyway, after I feed the beet pulp and they are eating good, I go get the hay. Maybe if you feed the beet pulp first and don't give the other stuff until they eat the beet pulp they might get the message.

Do Y'all feed the beet pulp in addition to their regular grain or just the beet pulp in winter? I feed 1/2 cup of Lite Balance and hay .. would I just add the beet pulp?

Do Y'all feed the beet pulp in addition to their regular grain or just the beet pulp in winter? I feed 1/2 cup of Lite Balance and hay .. would I just add the beet pulp?

I feed a ration balancer, so do feed it in addition to their "grain".

In my area there are several different brands of Beet Pulp.

Right now I use the small shreds, and it has molasses in it. I soak it for approx. 1-2 hours in HOT water ,( I have set my cell phone to chime at 4pm, so I will remember to soak it ..LOL) then rinse, rinse and rinse it until the water is clear. All of my horses are chubby, so I want the molasses out of it, and I use it to give them something to eat when they come into their stalls at night, so they think they are getting something other than hay. (yes, they are spoiled
default_rolleyes.gif
) I do put a cup or so of either Complete Advantage or Horse Chow 100, in the wet beet pulp, depending on the horse and their degree of chubbiness. Also I give the medication to my IR horses in the wet pulp. Mine only get the Beet Pulp at night. The amount they get depends on their size, mine are from 29" to 33", so anywhere from 2-3 cups. (in addition to their other feed..Complete Advantage or Horse Chow 100) This is also for mature horses. My weanling colt gets something totally different.

I am more concerned with keeping weight OFF, while letting them feel that they are getting a lot to eat.

Hope this helps.

Sue

This wasn't my thread but I appreciate all the response. Now, at last, I'm finally realizing what beet pulp is good for.
default_yes.gif
I've been giving 2 cups soaked with a few soaked alfalfa cubes to the Kansas Kids because I 'thought' it was a good weight builder. It took a while but they ate it really good today.

Now another question.........could someone please tell me what a "ration balancer" is as compared to feed such as Purina Strategy.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you rinse the Beet Pulp until the water is clear, Aren't you washing out neutriants too? Kind of like when you boil vegies.

If you rinse the Beet Pulp until the water is clear, Aren't you washing out neutriants too? Kind of like when you boil vegies.

Good point!! I don't really know how many nutrients there are in BP, it was suggested to me for my IR and 'air fern' horses, so they can fill their bellies and feel satisfied, and to be sure to rinse out all the molasses, to keep the sugar/starch content down.

They do get other feeds to give them their nutritional requirements, ( Complete Advantage, Horse Chow 100 or Strategy, depending on the horse/age/condition) and most of them also get alfalfa hay, grass hay and some pasture.

Sue

I feed the shredded via Purina Complete Advantage year round as part of what I mix up for all the horses. The balance is part Running Horse Trail Mix, an extruded feed with all kinds of great stuff in it.
default_yes.gif
And then a bit of rolled brown and gold organically grown flax. Sometimes a bit of Omelene 100 to several, and then of course, each ones supplemental needs (if any). Everyone LOVES there mixes and do very well. It's been especially good for lactating mares.

I feed the shredded via Purina Complete Advantage year round as part of what I mix up for all the horses. The balance is part Running Horse Trail Mix, an extruded feed with all kinds of great stuff in it.
default_yes.gif
And then a bit of rolled brown and gold organically grown flax. Sometimes a bit of Omelene 100 to several, and then of course, each ones supplemental needs (if any). Everyone LOVES there mixes and do very well. It's been especially good for lactating mares.
I just found Trail Mix and so far I really like it. However, it sounds like my feed dealer may drop it, as it hasn't been too popular. I hope that changes, and he is able to keep it in stock.

Oh Chanda I sure hope they don't drop it. My guys have been on it about a year now and they sure are doing extremely well. Hoofs and coats are even better too. Good extruded feeds are a blessing as the nutrients absorb so much more efficiently and quickly, and IMO, more safely too. Being in the cowboy state, many horsepeople do not see the reason for spending the money so our distributor does not sell much to more than a few of us. I would guess it is similar for you in MT? Most of the horses here are strictly range bred and raised, hardly ever seeing a human till roundup time. However, one savvy cowboy that raises and trains AQHA on a larger scale buys it by the truckload! I'm sure that's why I can still get it
default_yes.gif

Oh Chanda I sure hope they don't drop it. My guys have been on it about a year now and they sure are doing extremely well. Hoofs and coats are even better too. Good extruded feeds are a blessing as the nutrients absorb so much more efficiently and quickly, and IMO, more safely too. Being in the cowboy state, many horsepeople do not see the reason for spending the money so our distributor does not sell much to more than a few of us. I would guess it is similar for you in MT? Most of the horses here are strictly range bred and raised, hardly ever seeing a human till roundup time. However, one savvy cowboy that raises and trains AQHA on a larger scale buys it by the truckload! I'm sure that's why I can still get it
default_yes.gif
I have a senior half-Arab gelding that I put on the Trail Mix and he really seems to like it. He's usually not too picky, but doesn't always like pelleted-type feeds, but he's really going after the TRail Mix.

Happy to report back that all 3 of my girls are now enjoying their beet pulp.

Within the last 2 or 3 days, Annie even started cleaning her feed dish, and I didn't think she was ever going to like beet pulp. She's kind of on a diet now, so I feel good about being able to give her a little something in her dish when she's having so much less feed than she used to.

I appreciate all the information posted on "what is beet pulp for?"...I learned a lot from you all!

All of mine get soaked shredded beet pulp. I just got three new ones in and gave it to them with no problem. Their grain(Strategy), soaked beet pulp and soaked wheat bran is all fed together.

Just a note on the beet pulp. I just got two bags that had what looked like pieces of wood in them. I'm very careful now when I'm getting it ready. Never would have thought I would have seen that in there.

Now another question.........could someone please tell me what a "ration balancer" is as compared to feed such as Purina Strategy.
Purina Strategy is a pelleted grain mix. A ration balancer is a protein/vitamin/mineral supplement designed to be fed with hay. I stopped grain feeding here several years ago as research has found that horses do best on high fiber diets not grain as they are forage animals. The right balance of protein, vitamins and minerals along with quality hay is all horses need! I do add beet pulp to all of my horses diets (I usually feed it dry) as a forage supplement and to add weight as needed.

Hi all
default_saludando.gif

Just looking through posts and came across this one, so I thought I'd add my own experience
default_smile.png
. I fed my boys beet pulp for the first time this evening. It was soaked and I did up a couple of apples in the blender and added the two together. Reno, 8 yr old gelding, I'm sure he's had it before, gobbled his up! Cash, 3 yr old stallion, well I don't think he has ever had it and wasn't sure what to think of it! "Smells good, but feels weird!!" He walked away from it over to see what Reno was eating with sooo much enthusiasm!! So I brought his dish over by him and Reno, well as soon as Reno was done his own he tried to get into Cashs', this is when Cash decided, well if Reno wants this, it must be edible (plus I slopped {sp?} a bit into the corner of his mouth, his ears perk up "ooohhh") and he slurped it up
default_aktion033.gif

Dee
default_biggrin.png

ALL MINE LOVE IT!!! When I first get a new horse in I start mixing a little in with their regular feed. But I have had some horses that prefer their soaked beet pulp over anything else...especially in the winter when I soak it in really warm water. they gobble it up when its cold.

Latest posts

Back