Intersting ulcer information....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They make pill delivery systems for all other species but not horses which makes me think they wouldn't work in the manner everyone is hoping. You may be able to put the pill further back in the mouth but the teeth go back a long way and they could still chew it once it's back there. It would be pretty easy to fire right into their windpipe if you could get it all the way to the back. Be careful. The anatomy is different between the species.

What Michelle says is right in line with what I wonder about. I know years ago the first time I saw the vet float one of my big horse's teeth, I was STUNNED to see how way far back the teeth go.

Also, have wormed her several times with different wormers to rule that out. Somerimes she looks very bloated, and you can easily feel her back bone.
May want to have her teeth checked.

I recently received this e-mail from a very good friend of mine, who has been raising miniatures for years. I thought it was worth posting here.

"I find the need to pass this information on to make a serious point!!

As a horse owner for over 30 yrs. I have seen or experienced JUST ABOUT every horse health problem imaginable at one time or another and now a days calling a vet or purchasing medication is usually a shocking cost. This is a small example of my findings. I have a miniature mare in my barn who is a "worrier". She frets about everything thus she has ulcers. Once diagnosed my vet recommended a medication called Gastro Guard and/or Ulcer Guard. I purchased this medication and was absolutely blown away at the cost. Even for a miniature horse 1/4 the size of a small horse the cost to me was $36 every 4 days. If she would have been a large horse it would have been around $36 PER DAY. That sure scales down the horses that will get treated, now doesn't it? This just does not fit into MOST peoples budgets yet most horse persons, if it is within their ability, will see that their horse gets it's medication before they do. For 3 months this continued until I happened to be talking to another horse person and complaining that this cost was putting me in the poor house. Now this gal is very knowledgeable in the medical prescription field and she said I could try Prilosec for humans, over the counter. I checked sure enough, it is the same.

Now I am not a vet nor do I claim to be I am merely passing this information on to you and you may use it or not!"
My vet told me to give about 10cc's of Maalox twice a day to a yearling colt that developed ulcers and about 1.5cc's of Banamine. Worked great. Did that for about 5 days and then weaned him off the Banamine and went to once a day until he was fine.. Worked great. I've used Maalox on several horses at the first sigh of ulcers. My vet said Maalox was the best because it wouldn't plug them up. Didn't want him having no poopies. That would cause another problem.

Also, have wormed her several times with different wormers to rule that out. Somerimes she looks very bloated, and you can easily feel her back bone.
May want to have her teeth checked.

My vet told me to give about 10cc's of Maalox twice a day to a yearling colt that developed ulcers and about 1.5cc's of Banamine. Worked great. Did that for about 5 days and then weaned him off the Banamine and went to once a day until he was fine.. Worked great. I've used Maalox on several horses at the first sigh of ulcers. My vet said Maalox was the best because it wouldn't plug them up. Didn't want him having no poopies. That would cause another problem.
Thank you! I don't know why, but I had not thought of that :DOH! Having her teeth checked, wish I had thought of it when I had her at the Vets office. Also, I think the Maalox is a good ideal, my Dad had ulcers really bad, to the point he only had half his stomach left because of ulcer operations, and he lived on Maalox

Latest posts

Back