International Travel help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbyhorse23

Reaction score
So a friend and I are considering meeting in Great Britain next summer for a couple of weeks of playing tourist. Neither one of us has ever been outside the U.S. except for a few quick trips to Canada and we're finding ourselves unsure where to start. I can't even look at airfares because I have no idea what airports I'd be using!
default_rolleyes.gif

Can those of you who've traveled to (or better yet, live in) the Isles give us some tips? We're both going to be on a tight budget and we're hoping for cheap but safe places to stay, safe cheap car rental companies, tips on which airports to use and where it would be better to start. We want to visit any LB members we can find over there so we've got a few destinations in mind but I'm not even sure where we want to go other than that. I just want to travel in Ireland and Scotland!
default_new_multi.gif
Neither one of us is big on cities, shopping, or major landmarks; we're leaning more towards a horsie vacation.

All advice appreciated! At the time of the vacation I'll be 28 and she'll be 23 so there shouldn't be any age-restriction issues.

Also, I know we need passports. Do we need any vaccinations or anything? Special equipment to plug in our laptops and other electronics? Different cell phones? Help! We're totally clueless and wanting to remedy that long before we get there.
default_unsure.png

Leia

You can get the plug conversion kits in many electronic shops, and your cell phone should certainly work...just ask about the cost of calls...that hurt my brother in the old pocket-book when he was calling his wife from Germany.
default_new_shocked.gif

I am no help with much else, as I did all my travelling with the Military, and had so many shots etc...that I am not sure what you would really need...your Dr should know though. Do not forget to inform your insurance company you are leaving the Country...make sure you are totally covered!

If you get a chance to see the Loch Ness, and the Castle Urquheart...I will be so totally jealous. I have never been; yet that is where my "sire line"
default_rolleyes.gif
originated.
default_laugh.png

Oh you have to go pony trekking on the moors....SO much fun...and see the wild Dartmoor ponies ( well not that wild they'll steal your lunch if you're not careful) and the Exmoors and New Forests and and and etc etc

(Live in Oregon, born and raised in England...Scottish Nationality....Dual Citizen of USA and UK)

There's so much to see and do that you"ll need every second of two weeks. I'd drop Rabbitsfizz a PM I bet she can let you know about car rental agencies etc. The pound is pretty good exchange wise at the moment which is good.

You'll have a blast

AAAAAAA!!! We have to do that! Where are the Dartmoors? Those are great suggestions!

(We're already in touch with RabbitsFizz, she's one of the people we want to visit.
default_wink.png
)

Leia

When in Scotland check out Elite Falconry. These guys are so awesome. You can spend the day with raptor birds. They have a beautiful farm. And ask for Stewart. He's the best. He'd rather be at the farm 7 days a week then have a day off. He really loves those birds and you can see how much they love him.

http://www.elitefalconry.com/

This is me and Kevin the Harris Hawk at Elite Falconry in March of 2006.

Kevin.jpg

AAAAAAA!!! We have to do that! Where are the Dartmoors? Those are great suggestions!
(We're already in touch with RabbitsFizz, she's one of the people we want to visit.
default_wink.png
)

Leia
South West England...you can do Stonehenge on the way
default_biggrin.png

Hi
default_saludando.gif
, we are only 1/2 hr away from Stonehenge and 3/4 hr from the New Forest and would love to meet you if you are coming over. We have a friend, Nicky from Millwood Miniatures in Texas. She visits the UK every year and I am sure she would be able to help with a lot of your questions, especially the technical ones ( she is great with mobiles etc. ) pm me and I will see how much help we can give you

Last edited by a moderator:
Please O Please give Jane a big hug for me!
default_wub.png

I lived in Ireland for 1 & 1/2 years. But it was in a 300 yr old stone house out in the country. Right at the corner or Co. Westmeath.

I'd LOVE to go back! Have fun!!!

We went twenty years ago! So a lot will have changed. But here's what we did.........

First we rented the smallest/least expensive car from a company that had an outlet at the London airport. (Buy the insurance!)

We also booked lodging at a hotel/motel near the airport to crash at upon our arrival. (You will be glad you do this.) We were shuttled to our lodging from the airport and SLEPT......Then, the next day we were shuttled back to the airport where we picked up our car. (Have fun with the Rotaries!) LOL!

We had everything mapped -in general, plus we had a book of Farm Bed and Breakfasts. The requirement was to call at least 24 hours in advance to make sure there was a vacancy. This gave us a lot of freedom with where we wanted to go. And if there was an area we fell in love with we just stayed longer!

We saved on meals by eating a huge breakfast at the B&B, and then we ate an early supper at a Pub. Occasionally we were able to take in Tea Time, such as in Bath.

I envy you.........I want to go back so MUCH!

Oh Leia, I'm so jealous, you'll have so much fun!

When I went to England/ Wales this summer I flew out of Charlotte, NC into Gatwick. I flew out of Newark in NJ to go to France, and Cincinatti, OH to go to Germany. I haven't had a problem at any of them (except for the bomb scare at Charles DeGaule, which you won't have to deal with! Hate that airport).

You will need converters, the last time I went we found a neat set of 3 or 4 that covers most countries I think.

My phone would not work internationally, so when I went to France I ended up getting a Vodafone through Verizon which can make international calls and you can get some great deals on it. I think it was $30.00 to rent it the last time, and you get an 800 number so it doesn't cost anything for people to call you. They mail you the phone a few days before you leave, then it is activated on a specific day, and you have so long once you get back to return it to them. It also comes with a converter on the charger. I got one again when I went to England.

Definitely go to Wales if you can, I LOVED it there, and did not want to leave. Plus, there are lost of gorgeous Welsh ponies!

I don't know any of the fun things to do, or hotels, since I have only stayed with games families, and spend most of the time competing and only get a day or two to hit the major landmarks. I would love to go over and just play tourist, I never get to spend as much time as I'd like.

Jessica is right! Please dont forget Wales, a beautiful country with stunning scenery! When are you thinking of coming? You would be very welcome to stay a night or two with us - provided you dont mind a completely mad household LOL!!

Just let us know - our door is always open!

Anna

You could fly into Manchester airport and rent a car there.My husband is English so we go over a lot. We like to fly in there because the traffic is not so bad or confusing as around Gatwick or Birmingham. Most of the rental car companies there are very good - never had a problem. We often get a diesel car as they are very economical and the petrol is very high over there. From Manchester you can easily drive all over in northern England, the Lake Country, North Wales and Scotland. You can get a really nice, but inexpensive, road atlas at any of the Services areas along the motorways. That is really cheaper than buying one at a book store in the US and taking it with you.

You can take the ferry over to Ireland. It is very expensive to take the car over on the ferry. Plus, many of the UK rental companies will not insure your car in Ireland. Check your rental policy. We found it was cheaper to travel as a foot passenger on the ferry and then rent another car in Ireland.

We love to go to the Lake Country, Yorkshire Dales, and all around Scotland. I love the area around Penrith and Appleby. I love the drive through the Pennines.

Change money at a Post Office. They don't charge the rates that banks do. Eat at authentic little Pubs. They have the very best home made soups I've ever had and the pub meals are usually delicious and much cheaper than regular restaurants. B&B's are economical as are Sleep Inns, Travelodge or Premier Inns. Some B&B's are just marvelous and you just run up on them in out of the way places.

Our cell phones don't work over there so we buy and International calling card from Sam's club or somewhere to call home.

Have a wonderful time!

Thought of something else. The first time I went, I got a Visa prepaid travel card which worked like a debit card so that I didn't have to worry about getting cash converted. Last time I just used a credit card for most things. It was much easier than worrying about cash, and I could still go to an atm if I was going be somewhere that I would need cash.

HI, just going to add by two pence worth ! I'm in N. Ireland (30 mins from Belfast) a lot of great scenery and heritage, if you are thinking of a horsey holiday there is a lot of good breeding studs (big horses) irish draught breeders/race horses etc..and altho they are not open to the public I'm sure they would be happy to let you look around. The main 'horse breeding' attraction is the national stud here is some info http://www.dublinevents.com/dublin-places-...tional-stud.php the falabellas mentioned here are from the Ennis stud (Enniskillen in the north) but he no longer breeds mini's. There is no big mini breeding farms as you would have in the states, but it wouldn't be hard to hook you up with some breeders depending on where you are going to visit. It would be just as cheap to buy a flight from the u.k into belfast / Dublin / Galway on a cheap airline as you would be doing it well in advance and could be flexible.

http://www.discoverireland.com/gb/ireland-.../counties/down/ here is the link to my area Co.Down and we are 30 minutes from the Mourne Mountains as well. All the other counties of Ireland are on here to. Cheap b&b run by individuals is normal the cheapest apart from hostels but I don't know much about them.

If you get this far we have a spare room, no problems. My kids have been hosted by families in the states for several years now, it could be pay back time !

I know Rabbits Fizz and have stayed with her she is located just north of London so central for everywhere, and transport links etc...

Anything else let m know.

OK, my experience is from before either of you were born, so things MAY have changed a bit. I toured Ireland with 3 friends in 1984 on BICYCLES, staying at B & B's. Very inexpensive and a GREAT way to travel and meet locals. We landed at Shannon airport, re-assembled our bikes and were off. Dingle Pennisula, Cliffs of Mohr, and the Burren were highlights, along with the west coast in general. One of the best trips I ever took. At that time, we saw lots of horses, gypsy camps and travelling vans, donkey carts, etc. and even a horse show.

I also toured England by bicycle briefly in 1981 with another friend, compliments of President Reagon and the air traffic controllors stike which stranded us there for 3 days. There we stayed in youth hostels and we were older than you are now. They are a great way to travel cheaply and meet Europeans - unless things have changed a LOT. Rode to Windsor Castle (riding into and out of Heathrow on a bike!).

Whether you drive, ride a bike or walk, you have to be VERY careful to LOOK BOTH WAYS when you cross a street, go around a corner, or encounter a roundabout. You don't realize that you DON'T look both ways at home because you THINK you know which way the cars should be coming from.... Tourists get hit by cars all the time.

Have a great time!!

I just want to say......I'm jealous and I so want to go back again! When I was there a million years ago, we lucked onto a Royal Horse Show somewhere outside of London, was very impressive. Most recent trip was just 3 yrs ago and we didn't have much time there - it fell at the end of a trip and was just a couple of nights. My daughter wanted to see Harrods so we spent an entire day there LOL - definitely worth seeing if you have time in London though (and don't miss the tea & scones). My only regret on the last trip was not having more time in England. Next time....

Jan

Latest posts

Back