Interesting sets of Measurements

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadowind

Reaction score
Yesterday was a herd health day here, deworming, louse powder, quick check over.

In light of the measurement decision of AMHA and the discussion here on the board, we thought it would be interesting to take a little extra time since we had the horses in anyway.

I think we could easily have measured lower on some horses and still fit the description "base of the mane".

I posted the results here:

http://www.meadowindminis.com/3Measurements.htm

That last 2007 colt confuses me.

34" at the last hair of the mane

31.75" at the top of the withers

30.5" at the base of the mane.

Boy, that took a lot of work! Thanks for doing all that
default_yes.gif

VERY interesting.. Thanks for taking the extra time to do it, should prove very helpful!!

This is really interesting

Your measurements show that the new rule really is not very different from the old one of last hair of the mane.

Thanks so much for this comparison!

Susan O.

Umm I must need to have a lesson on where exactly we are measuring because mine were no where near as close as yours. and as some one mentioned that one that was 34 at the last hair , and 31 something at the top of the wither , ???? maybe you just had a typo..

I figured that one was a horse that just had very little mane...... and it stopped really high? :)

Susan O.

I agree that was a lot of work. Thanks for sharing your data.

Wish they had it when they were voting!

When I compared mine, I came out about the same also. One horse was smaller but his mane ends practically at the top of the withers and he has withers.

Yep!! The fingers weren't so nimble by the time I finished. We've got him back down to where he should be!!
default_yes.gif

Belinda, you probably are measuring the base of the mane better than we did. As I mentioned, I'm sure we could have gone lower, but even these measurements suggest a couple of things.

1. Measuring is still very subjective.

2. Taller horses will measure in.

If the measurement were to be taken at the withers and set at 35", I don't think any more horses would be added than by this method. And the measuring would be less subjective.

I think Meadowinds last sentence is the heart of the problem, "I think we could easily have measured lower on some horses and still fit the description "base of the mane"." Meadowind has a great deal of experience, but even they do not appear to know exactly what spot they are supposed to be measuring at.

"Base of the withers" is not a clearly defined term. I know generally where I need to be looking, but not specifically. If we can't explain to people how to find the last hair of the mane, how are we supposed to explain this new place?

Thank you Meadowind for taking the time to do the measurements.

This morning, I'm rolling my eyes thinking how this situation reaks of not NEEDING new rules. But how far would a double dose of compliance go?

Ditto Jill,

It is not important were the measurement is taken but that the rule/standard is followed for all. Believe me, after measuring ponies for 4H, people can teach their horses to fudge the height measurement no matter were it is taken!

If the measurement were to be taken at the withers and set at 35", I don't think any more horses would be added than by this method. And the measuring would be less subjective.
I agree 110% with this! Measure at the top of the withers and add an inch to the registry! Thanks so much for taking the time to do all those measurements!

I noticed there to be 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch difference in most of the last mane hair to base of the mane. I don't know, but the only "groove" I can find at the base of the mane, is the groove of the backbone. It will make a difference if the horse has withers or not, and a lot of minis don't have much. Unless shown, I have come to the conclusion that most of us won't be able to find it.

Back