Input please for our 4H group (Netherlands)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mijke

Reaction score
Hi all,

Being a 'professional' and very satisfied lurker for a long time... I totally love this forum and the all the things I can learn here.

I'm a miniature breeder myself in Europe (Netherlands to be precise).

We have a European Miniature Horse Club, and the Dutch division (my 'job'...
default_wink.png
: ) started a 4H group last fall. It has been a big succes from the start. We have about 12 kids now (from 4 - 16 years of age) who are very enthousiastic and eager to learn, jump, do obstacles, driving etc..

Now, we would like them to start with showmanship as well (and have a show especcialy for them in the summer...).

Does anyone has some good tips/advices on how to learn that in a good, aesy, childfriendly and understandable way?

Thanks for your input!

Here some pics from last time (sorry if they are big...
default_unsure.png
: ):

juniorclinicMHCEBoekel15-10-05002.jpg
juniorclinicMHCEBoekel15-10-05023.jpg
juniorclinicMHCEBoekel15-10-05014.jpg
juniorclinicMHCEBoekel15-10-05068.jpg
juniorclinicMHCEBoekel15-10-05084.jpg
juniorclinicMHCEBoekel15-10-05126.jpg
juniorclinicMHCEBoekel15-10-05011.jpg

Mike

What adorable pictures! you should send some to AMHA to use in the magazine.

For showmanship I would break it down by its components to teach a child. There is a lot to remember in showmanship and it can overwhelm a kid especially a young child. Also it takes a very well trained mild mannered horse. One of the hardest parts of showmanship is getting the pivot down right. If I had a really young child I would make sure the horse is already trained to pivot. I know for my son that is the most frustrating part. Also remember that the child can NEVER touch the horse. It all has to be done by the lead. Grooming for both the horse and handler is very important.

Kay

default_smile.png
Thanks for your input! It helps a lot.

We are planning on doing it in bits and pieces from now on until summer, so they can learn, practise and learn more every time...

I was also thinking of making a very big [SIZE=14pt]+[/SIZE] to lay on the ground, let a horse stand on that in the middle and then practise with where to stand at what time.

:aktion033: I think your tip to use an experienced horse is great! That will save some frustration!

We have tons of photo's... I will make sure the AMHA gets them!
default_yes.gif
:

Great pictures!

I love seeing the children involved with horse activities
default_smile.png

(make sure the kids don't wrap the lead rope around their hands...yikes!)

You can make the parts almost like a dance and do it with a few kids at a time as a syncronized group like in swimming. I always had fun running up and down a line of kids to see how quick and smooth they could switch, always ended up laughing to much at the end but they got it!

I once did a Showmanship clinc for a 4H group with 2 other people who are around my age and know showmahship very well. I found that the way i did it was not effective for such a large group of kids. From the photos i see that most of kids are alot younger then the ones i tryed to teach. this is what i would do.

First get them together in a group, and disscus the class with them, that it is judged on your showing skills not how well confimed the horse is. seeing as they might get board after a while instead of going into proper dress and groming, get a horse out and sit them in a semi cricle around you, descibe and show them how to set the horse up square. then let them all have a try. that should be the first lesson. then the next time sit them down and talk to them about proper dress for showmanship class, then get a horse out and ask for a volunteer, ask them to be the judge and explaine the half system to them. then once you explained it to them let them all have a try.

do this till everything is covered and then have a mock showmanship class and tell them what they could do better/differnt, and what they are doing good. tell them to watch every one go, then once they are done their pattern tell them right away, and tell everyone else as well, so they can all learn.

good luck!

-Storm

Latest posts

Back