Info on Frame Overo?????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srminiatures

Reaction score
Ok how can a horse be a Tovero but came back LWO neg??? Ive always had Tobianos because they are easy and don't have to worry about LWO... But I bought a horse who I was told Is a Tovero but LWO neg.... Pictures below are of him....

970458_150688841800773_255728481_n.jpg

530981_3941410611620_620065720_n.jpg

Cant really answer your question, but your boy is nice, love the coloring!

The overo part of him is probably splash rather than frame. Splash and sabino are overo patterns, frame isn't the only one.

If he is a stallion and you plan to breed with him I would be inclined to test him --unless he has already been done -- rather than just taking someone's word for it.

Thank you very much MiniNFH.... And Minimor if he was Splash or Sabino could it just not show because he just looks Tobiano to me, and also they said they tested him for LWO but that was all they tested him for.....

Sabino can be just a white sock or some white on the nose and splash can be nothing more than a white spot on the face, so yes, it could be there and is just hiding there in the tobiano pattern. I'm not that good with pinto patterns and what each looks like so cannot say if I see any overo there or not.

He doesn't actually look tovero to me. Have any better pics of his face? He looks tobiano to me too.

If he's not really tovero he's tobiano and thus no LWO

If he has white on his face, he has one of the white patterns often all lumped together as overo; tobiano doesn't put white on the face. I can't really tell in these pics, but it looks like his lower face is white, which is often a splash trait.

My stallion has just a star and a wider snip and two hind socks (and just a tiny spot of white on the front coronets), and I was told its likely splash. [Although he doesn't even come close to looking like he could have LWO, I tested him anyway, and he tested negative. Its cheaper to test just the stallion, than 6 mares; so I test the stallion and if negative, no need to test the mares.] One of his colts last year, came up looking much more splash and has blue eyes; the colt's dam is perlino, so I really don't know what markings she might have hiding in all that white (she's not been tested).

534654.jpg

Here is a picture of his face.... but if this is the case then what pattern would yall call my other stallion, I was told he was a bay roan tobiano...

9759462.jpg
2947240.jpg

Is his chin white? Does he have a blue eye?

Your other boy looks like a tobiano with a narrow blaze to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say the palomino has too much face white for just tobiano--I would guess he does also have splash.

here's some of the characteristics of a tovero, specifically on the head.

• Dark pigmentation around the ears, expanding to cover the forehead and/or eyes.
  • Isolated "shield" dark markings completely surrounded by white, particularly on the face or chest.
  • One or both eyes blue
  • Dark pigmentation around the mouth, which may extend up the sides of the face and form spots.
He may carry splash, but doesn't appear to carry frame overo or tovero. Nice, as it opens your breeding options!

not a frame question but I just say a post where paw prints mean homo tobiano... so my question is what pattern is this mare (mind her hooves I had just bought her and hadn't got her clipped yet when I took here pictures)

8804882.jpg

7308718.jpg

9429322.jpg

Latest posts

Back