In desperate need of motivation!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
I have been counting calories, and gradually losing weight over the past 3 weeks. I'm feeling pretty good and it seems to be the easiest method of weight loss I have ever tried. I've always been raised with the belief that I was eatting too much, but I was always confused because on days when I ate more, I actually lost weight. Now I'm convinced I wasn't eatting enough, as I have to force myself to eat more.
default_wacko.png

But I keep getting to that mind set where I want to see big results fast. It's hard to be happy with gradual progress.
default_rolleyes.gif
So I was hoping that those of you who have lost weight (whether it's 5, 10 or 100 pounds) could share your techniques and your achievements. Maybe that will help give me the motivation to keep going. Lol. Also, if you are trying to lose weight, maybe you can share your progress, dilemas or whatever, as well.

Try on a bathing suit in the Walmart dressing room......I swear those mirrors add 50 pounds!

Lol Carin still traumatized by that experience I see
default_laugh.png
at least you know no matter what that mirror says you are a tiny little thing...

I have had a rough go of it since I got sick- it is quite depressing to not be able to do what I used to do and to not even get thru the day without being in pain 99 percent of the time so my weight has struggled even with the medication which at one point made me so ill I lost some weight.

I just look at it like anytime I lose a pound it is better then gaining one
default_wink.png

Good for you and trying to loose weight. I lost 20 pounds and well sorta gained 5 of it back. But I found I lost the most weight, when I just didn't think about it. Kept myself busy. I literally lost the 20 pounds in a few months. Everyone thought I was doing drugs. But in reality I just kept myself so busy and portion controled my meals that I didn't realize the actually weight loss until I kept having to buy smaller pants. lol. I'm trying to get back into doing more exercise. Taking the horses for a walk or the dog. Not only do I turn in into training for the horse, but I get exercise out of it too.

As of this morning I have lost 43 pounds since February 1st. That sounds good until I realize I have at least that many more to go. I will never be thin, but I can be healthier. Here's what I'm doing:

-no refined breads (bread, tortillas, biscuits, pasta, bakery etc) - this totally kills me as I live for this stuff

-I notice I'm not going through butter at all since I'm not eating breads

-limited refined sugar (still making my favorite salad dressing which has it, and one chocolate a day, and a little brown sugar on my oatmeal)

-basically eating lean proteins, vegetables, fruits, nuts, milk with some cheese and yogurt, and whole grains (like barley in soup and oatmeal for breakfast)

-we bought a Wii and I do at least 30 minutes of Wii Fit every day. It helps keep me honest and knowing I'll weigh regularly keeps my thinking straight.

So that's it so far. I also find that if I take a little weekend break, not going nuts or anything, but kind of stop being sooo strict, helps me start losing well again when I start up again on Monday. The key is to actually make sure to start up again!!

I will be thinking of you and hoping you get the encouragement you need to keep going.

Jayne

Weight Watchers--only thing that worked for me. I got to my wedding weight (17 lbs off two years ago)--married 25 years this year.
default_wink.png
It goes up a few now and then--I have to keep on it to not let it get out of hand. I weigh myself every single day. Every time I keep track of points--the weight goes off. Stop counting--weight comes on.

I found that looking at the whole amount I wanted to lose was too depressing and defeated me before I got started. I have now lost 95 lbs. 60 of in in the last year since I started Weight Watchers.

I gave myself a small goal every week. Normally "OK This Week I Am Going To Lose 1 lb". By working for the 1 lb and sticking with the WW plan I was losing 1 to 3 lb a week. Then I stopping writing down what I was eating. Weight loss slowed way down. But I did not gain it back. As of last Wed I am writing it down again. I weigh in tonight but I can see the weight loss.

Give yourself a bigger goal, like the half way mark, or hitting 200 or 150. Write it down store it away and forget about it. When you reach that goal reward yourself. For me that was a kayak, something I had wanted for a while but would not spend the money on.

Always have the next size smaller of your favorite jeans home to try on. I found my smaller sizes at the Salvation Arm for 2 bucks. Brand new with tags for some of them. Some times it is a shock when they slide on.

Eat a variety of foods. Do not get bored. Try new things. Amazing what I will eat now that I would not eat before.

MOVE. Any kind of activity helps but you will see the biggest difference doing something you do not normally do. Like a hike up a mountain. That said from the lady that used to only walk on flat ground no hills allowed.

Most important think of how you are feeling. Notice the little things. Like you do not huff and puff as much doing your normal daily routine. Notice when the little aches and pains are reduced.

Good luck, it is hard. As long as I do not deprive myself of what I want I will make it do my goal. mmmmm chocolate ice cream last night. Yes it was within my points for the day, just not the heaping bowl I used to eat.

Slow and steady wins the race
default_wink.png
Dont worry about weight, see how your clothes fit. Us women seem to be able to weigh more in the morning , than we did when we went to sleep LOL Our weight fluctuates so much monthly, it isnt funny. So dont worry about the scales, at all.

Do not skip meals. Eat smaller meals more often, or at least a "good" snack between "regular" meals. If you have a family to cook for, the snaks will work better for you most likely. Don't sample as much when cooking.

Portion control! Eat slowly, chew well. It helps satisfy. Drink a glass of water or cup of tea about 20 minutes before your meal, to help fill your tummy.

Jayne had great list of "what" to eat, or not
default_biggrin.png
And the WW gals are right, don't totally deprive.

If you cut out dessert and miss them, set up one day a wk to have a small dessert! I love chocolate!! There is always a bag of Nestles Semi Sweet chips in the frig. Just 5 or 6 of those, melted one at a time in my mouth, is satisfying....
default_rolleyes.gif
well, not at first
default_laugh.png
but, eventually.

MOVE -- I walk the length of my farm and back at least 2X a day (1/3 mile each way) ...to feed..... rather than ride the mower, or drive truck back. I try to walk the horses during the summer, along the road to keep them used to the handling and give me a little extra mileage, walk, trot, etc.

I'm not overweight but, at 63 I find it takes far less to add more. So a few pounds can creep up fast. Right now, I'm looking at 7# of ugly fat that just "appeared"
default_new_shocked.gif
from winter slouching. It's gotta GO. These things are when we need to adjust our eating and in motion habits! Heading to the garden now -- know how many calories 2 hrs of hoe work gets you??
default_wacko.png
default_new_shocked.gif
Me neither! but I can tell you where it works the muscles -- sore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
default_biggrin.png

DON'T buy the stuff you aren't supposed to eat
default_rolleyes.gif
Hardest part.

I've been having motivation problems myself. I've been up and down my whole life and now I'm up again.
default_no.gif
The problem is.....I know what I need to do, been there and done that! I resent that I have to always moniter what I eat...truly, if you stop keeping track, the weight will come back on. I'm like the alcoholic that has to realize you can't have one drink......so it's time to give myself a major kick in the butt and get going again.

Slow weight loss without starving yourself is always more successful in the long run. I have a favorite mantra that I got from one of my weight watcher meetings......."nothing tastes as good as thin feels". I don't want to get thin though....I just want healthier.
default_smile.png

I started my diet on May 7, 2007. I just made up my mind, I got on the scale and it said 310 pounds, and that was a scale with a 300# limit, so I was probably heavier.

I just started watching what I ate, I wrote everything down in a diary. Every bite. I ate regular food, just measured small amounts, I starting walking 1 1/2 miles around the neighborhood about 3-5 days a week. I never gave up. Everyone says you can give in once in a while but not me, I have to stick to it 100%.

Now it is just past my 2 year anniversary since I started and I have just reached my 200 pound weight loss goal. I got on the scale this morning and it said 110 pounds. I weigh myself several times a day, just because I like to see how it varies, and I like to reassure myself that I truly am thin and feel great about it. I went from a size 30/32 5X to a

4/6 size small and even some Xsmall.

Good luck you can do it, start now why wait for another 10 pounds to accumlate.

Like Sedeh said, I will always have to keep track on what I eat, but I know I will always be skinny and feel great about myself. I don't keep a diary anymore, I can keep track of my food one meal at a time in my head. After a while you will look at every food item as a number. LOL You just have to decide if it is worth it or not.

If I was really wanting something but didn't want the calories, I would just brush my teeth and take a swig of mouthwash, and it really does take some craving away.

Good Luck.....Keep us Posted.

default_new_shocked.gif
Oh my gosh! I just had a really long post to add but when I pushed to add it, it took me to the page where I had to sign in. Then my post disappeared.
default_no.gif

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories and a big
default_aktion033.gif
goes out to those who have had success with their weight loss.

I'm soooo depressed...it was a really good post. Lol.

Latest posts

Back