In case of Emergency....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilSapphire

Reaction score
Can everyone list the things that you should have on hand in case of Emergency? Especially the things for colic and things that can be serious like that, eye injuries, and even all the way down to simple cuts? Any thing you can think of that needs to be on hand basically. What goes in a good first aid kit plus the extras. Thank You

Jessica

Have programed into your phone your veterinarians daytime and after hours number. When your flustered it's hard to punch in the number. If your phone lacks that feature have the numbers written someplace by the phone.

You should become expert at taking your horses temperature, pulse and respiration. The vet will ask you what those vitals are, and to him/her, they provide critical details to what might be the problem.

That being said- if it involves an eye, a massive laceration, a suspect or active colic, a birthing issue, swollen windpipe, to name a few, the vet is summoned ASAP.

If it is a swollen, scraped or just a gimpy leg which halfway bears weight, the call waits until the following morning. After 30 plus years of owning horses I am comfortable making that decision. For swollen legs I will ice them or hydrotherapy them. Scrapes are attended to with water or saline solution first for cleaning. Then I might apply nitrofurazone on it topically and wrap if needed. For wrapping you would need brown guaze, vet wrap, elastakon tape and sterile telfa squares. Various femine hygine napkins make for excellent bandage supplies as do diapers so those are in my box. I will not bute if I intend to have it examined the following morning because bute will mask the underlying problem which I will be needing the vet to find. Have a good flashlight w/ a working battery nearby.

An eye condition can go to heck in a handbasket quickly. Those are best treated by your vet who might stain the eye to see if an ulcer is in it. It may be clogged tearducts which would have to be flushed. Never dink around w/ an eye problem.

My vet box is pretty much just basic bandage supplies because that is all I will treat without a vet's direction. If I think the lameness is an abscess trying to blow I'll put a soaking bandage on the hoof for a few days before calling the vet or farrier to locate it.

Hope this helps.

I have alot in my first aid kit from several different antibiodics, syringes of all sizes, dyprone, banimine, bute as well as rompum, IV fluid bags,topicals, bandages it is pretty well stocked BUT that said.. 9 times out of 10 I call my vet and tell him what is going on, he makes the call to come or not and what I should treat with but this comes from a very good working relationship with him- he supplies me with the meds and knows that I talk to him before using

One time he left when we had a sickness going thru here.. He had to go out of town and left his wife with instructions to let me take whatever meds I needed to get, we went thru what I would need to do for the illness we were dealing with and how and what meds i needed to do sub Q even IV fluids in case the catheder came out.

We have spent lots of time togther (lucky for his wallet unluck for mine
default_wacko.png
: ) so he knows what I feel comfortable with and what I dont and vice versa.

Again though I dont abuse the trust he has in giving me all these meds (not giving me but allowing me to have in stock) It wouldnt be fair to my horses first and him second.

Terramycin Ointment for eye injurys and cuts around the eyes. Also clear eyes solution.

Banamine Paste as far as colic goes.

BL Paste for mild colic, mild pain or aches.

Fura Dress, Antibiodic Ointment and Wound-kote for scrapes and cuts.

Leg wraps of all kinds, sterial cloth, and that type of stuff, Iodine Antiseptic Shampoo, Absorbine or Bigeloil for legs as well.

I also have Naxel antibiodic a spare shots & needles on hand, but Id call a vet before Id use it.

Latest posts

Back