impulsion compulsion -- a walking update

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
I just had to let folks know...

Mingus was not being lazy or ornery with his poky walk, nor is he incapable of a nice, energetic walk.

We've been working on a longe line at the walk, urging him to "walk up" and adding a bit of extra incentive via the longe whip. He definitely has grasped the idea and is stepping out with a beautiful, purposeful walk.

I believe that his "saunter" was the result of two years walking beside a semi-cripple -- me. Now he knows it's okay and desirable -- make that mandatory -- to stride out even at a walk. He didn't quite get it while hooked, but a bit of longing did the trick.

That's great that you guys have it figured out! You guys will be having loads of fun in no time. Are you thinking of going to the show ring with Mingus? Love to see pictures of you guy at his "new" walk.
default_smile.png

Yay!! Kody's rediscovered his forward walk too and it's so nice to see him hustling along with a swinging back after all those months (over a year!) of wincing along with short little disconnected strides because his back hurt.
default_wub.png

Leia

Very few horses offer a good strong, rhythmic walk on their own. It takes encouragement right from square one for most horses to develop a good strong walking gait. It is most difficult to get it if you leave him to his own devices for some time and then start to ask for it - glad you are accomplishing your goal!!! A longeline, round pen or long lining is a good place to start so that he can easily accomplish what you are asking. Once you take him back in the cart you are going to need to continue to encourage him. From a halt you ask for walk and then "walk on", from a trot you ask for walk and immediately ask for "walk on" with a touch from the whip if he doesn't immediately stride out strongly. You need to be careful not to allow him to drift slowly back to the poky walk he offers naturally so it is a matter of keeping after him constantly until he gets the hang of it that when he walks he MUST walk with purpose.

Oh, dear. I just did a Sesame Street flashback - "I've Got a New Way to Walk." (Warning! Don't search it out on Youtube, that song will be playing in your head all day!!)

It's funny, you don't think about a gait as simple as a walk as being all that different, but it sure can be. When I've longed Syd, I've noticed that at both the walk and the trot, she strides longer when going counterclockwise, and significantly shorter going clockwise. I'm finding threads like this so useful for getting new perspectives and approaches for working toward my ultimate goal of driving my girls!

Oh, dear. I just did a Sesame Street flashback - "I've Got a New Way to Walk." (Warning! Don't search it out on Youtube, that song will be playing in your head all day!!)
It's funny, you don't think about a gait as simple as a walk as being all that different, but it sure can be. When I've longed Syd, I've noticed that at both the walk and the trot, she strides longer when going counterclockwise, and significantly shorter going clockwise. I'm finding threads like this so useful for getting new perspectives and approaches for working toward my ultimate goal of driving my girls!
All horses are naturally crooked making them shorter on one side than the other as their body curves towards the one side - most are crooked to the left (they put most of their weight on their left front shoulder and leg) making their right side shorter. Your mare is traveling crooked and not bending around the circle which becomes most noticeable when she is moving clockwise. This is the reason that I don't use lunging on a lunge line as an exercise without the proper equipment. I would put her in sliding side reins or fixed side reins adjusted slightly shorter to the inside of the arch when lunging her. If there is a hugely noticeable difference in her stride from one side to the other after working on stretching, straightening, and bending exercises I would look at having a vet or chiropractor or both take a look at her and see if there is not a physical cause for it.

Latest posts

Back