Developing impulsion at the walk

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
Mingus is such a fun and talented driving horse, and by working with sliding side reins we are lengthening the topline, relaxing and developing both a nice pleasure trot and lengthened trot (I wouldn't yet call it a true extended trot, but he's on his way).

All is good until we walk. This boy was born to trot, and he has complete disdain for the walk, as if it is something he only does to stay with the slow humans. You can almost see him sneer! At our recent show, he was easily lapping the other horses even at a pleasure trot (of course, his legs were twice as long as theirs...), but at a walk he was slower than the rest.

He doesn't walk -- he saunters...

We work regularly on walk/trot, walk/halt, and trot/halt transitions, which helps on other issues, but apparently not at developing a nice walk. Perhaps I'm just being impatient? We've had a modicum of success when I drive him forward while holding him back from the trot, and incorporating an excited "walk-on" command, but I'm curious what else I might do to build a beautiful, energetic, collected walk.

(It's not simply my perception from the cart -- in our one and only dressage test to date, the judge commented that he needs impulsion at the walk.)

Last edited by a moderator:
You just need to keep reminding him to stride out when at a walk. Immediately as you come back from a trot say walk on and if he doesn't give you a strong walk give him a reminder with your whip (gently so as not to send him into a trot) If you are consistant with this and never allow him to lollygag at the walk unless you give him loose rein and allow him to relax and slow he will eventually get the hang of it. You can work on this in the round pen or on the longe line or long lining as well. The hard part will come when you want to use loose rein in a class and keep your impulsion but hopefully by that time you will have him on the bit and he will just follow it down and you can encourage him with walk on. Walk on loose rein is usually only for a short bit on the diagonal anyway.

Yup, totally agree with Lori.
default_yes.gif

Myrna

Yup, I wholeheartedly agree with what's been said.

Actually, when looking for a good driving horse, I first look for a great walk. A trot can certainly catch my eye, but a horse out in pasture that moves those shoulders out, and puts that hind end under itself so that those hind feet leave tracks in front of the front footprints will catch my eye everytime...I find it much easier to train a trot into a horse, than a walk.

Yup, I wholeheartedly agree with what's been said.
Actually, when looking for a good driving horse, I first look for a great walk. A trot can certainly catch my eye, but a horse out in pasture that moves those shoulders out, and puts that hind end under itself so that those hind feet leave tracks in front of the front footprints will catch my eye everytime...I find it much easier to train a trot into a horse, than a walk.
That is soooo true! When I go to look at a horse for driving I take them for a walk! That appy horse, Polk, that I have is hard for me to keep up with at a walk - he COVERS ground and I have short little legs! Sure I want to watch them trot and see good action there but it is a pain in the rear having to constantly be on them to give me a good strong walk and if it is there naturally it is so much easier
default_biggrin.png

I'll second that. My stallion is like you say Mingus is. He trots nicely but when asked to walk he plods for want of a better description. Where as when my mare walks, she looks like she has some place to go.

she looks like she has some place to go.
Exactly! LOL!

I have a three year old gelding and I just noticed the other day bringing them in, that I was walking very fast...almost trotting myself, just to keep up with his walk. Actually, come to think of it, his larger five year old sister WAS trotting to keep up. (My bad, leading two at a time.)

He is like that no matter where you take him...he is huge strided, and although he is only around 32.50-33", and I want a larger horse for my next driver...I might just change my mind on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sue, if you don't want him, I'll take him! *LOL*

He doesn't walk -- he saunters...
Susanne, you're letting Mingus call the shots again.
default_wink.png
Your own attitude tells him that the walk is a "take a break" gait, an in-betweener, something that you do when you aren't trotting. It's not! You have to approach it just like you do every other gait and insist that he work properly. He should be too busy to sneer if you're doing things right.
default_biggrin.png

Do as Lori said and insist he walk out ALL THE TIME. This is a working gait and he needs to know that. It won't take long before he drops the attitude and starts paying attention! Each and every time he slows, tell him to "Walk ON" and insist he at least makes an effort. At first you may only get a stride or two before having to ask again, but as he gets the idea that should improve.

Those transitions you mention are helpful for building the walk but only if you keep that energy through the downward transition and push him on into the bridle as he comes down. Don't soften your reins and let him drop off like he's off-duty. I wish I could let you drive Kody because he's not naturally big-strided at a walk but we've spent years pushing him to walk out and he knows how to keep the trot energy into a walk. If you don't keep the energy in your hands he will flatten out and start trailing the hind end almost immediately, making it very obvious that you've done it wrong. Most of what we're doing these days in his rehab is walking out energetically down the street until his back is swinging, doing 3-tracks in both directions and pushing him to use his hindquarters constantly. When he's loosened up we do walk-trot transitions with increasing frequency trying to get his hindquarters reconnected and it's fun feeling him "come online" with that pushing, powerful walk after the first few.

If you and Mingus make it to any of the Washington AMHR shows this year we'll do some work in the parking lot and show you what it should feel like. Mingus knows better than to try sauntering with me!
default_laugh.png

Leia

Something I've been trying lately, is when we are out walking I make the horse stay at a walk, even though he would prefer to trot to keep up with me. I try to shorten my stride a little, while still keeping a good pace. I've noticed Dapper Dan is starting to reach out more in his strides--I carry the whip to keep him energized. Dusty, who has a very nice walk, might have become inclined to trot instead of walk so it is good to encourage him to stretch his walk also, and not break into the easier trot.

I usually walk them together. It is a challenge, taking a mismatched pair for a walk, but that would make my walk 4 miles if I took them seperately and I am too lazy. We do practice stops and starts and turns. One usually carries the litter bag.

Also, I walk the first half of the walk on one side, then change sides for the second half. They learn to lead on both sides. I've noticed Dusty likes to lean into me while walking on the left. I've used the whip butt to poke his shoulder to keep him out of my space. He seems straight, but the only reason I can think of for him to lean is because he is crooked?? He has improved greatly in the last month.

I agree with Leia also. If you can get him into a long walk on a loose rein and swinging through the back, then you could start giving him a series of half halts (well spaced at first and then closer together as he gets better at it) to bring his backend under him more and get him into frame while maintaining energy. It can be time consuming, but I have had this work for me with a former park saddle mare that didn't want to walk at all. It took several months for her to be reliable walking up into her bridle, especially when she was jazzed up, but it did give us the walk we wanted.

Latest posts

Back