IMPORTANT update on our deceased foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capall beag

Reaction score
York Beach, Maine originally from Ireland!
I wanted to make this update and I hope people read it.

I took the advice and emailed John of Arion Management. I felt if anyone could help me clarify if this was a dwarf foal he could.

I am elated and relieved to say that he does not believe this foal was a dwarf. He is very confident of it.

THe foal was at day 267.

He said the foals mouth looked slightly off, ...head, body and legs look of normal size. the head looks very normal. He also said the foal did not look at all like the common dwrfs seen, or even the less common when they are born.

She looked completely normal except her head, to me, looked domed and her bite was off.

Of course, I have never seen a premature foal and I have realised with research this 'look' is 'normal' during gestation.

For me, and I hope for others this will be a HUGE lesson learned! I jumped to the wrong conclusion. I guess I have seen and read so much on dwarf foals lately that I quickly concluded that our filly was too.

This is to NO way undermine that there are many dwarf foals born. However, IMO without this valuable research, to the untrained eye it is extremely difficult to tell if subtle characteristics are really dwarf characterisitcs.

I am HUGELY relieved for me and my mare:)

I am also deeply saddened because now I wonder why I lost this precious filly. We were having a lot of tree work done and there were trees crashing down nearby. There was also a very bad thunder storm the day prior to her delivery. Lace can be nervous and I pray this did not cause her undue stress and cause her to abort.

Alot of could have, would have scenarios going on in my head
default_no.gif

However, the foal is at peace and Lace is doing great!

Sincere heartfelt Thanks to all who shared their sympathy. My daughter and I really appreciate it
default_smile.png

THANK YOU so much to all, especially Mary Lou for this FORUM. Within a few hours I had access to so much wonderful information and advice, this is invaluable to me
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I am glad you found out. I'm sure it does give you some peace of mind!! Glad you all are doing well...
default_yes.gif

Thank you for sharing this information so we can all learn. I am so glad you found this out and glad to hear the mare is doing well.

It is good to know that there are people like him to help, considering how difficult this subject is, anyway.

The mare probably should be checked and/or flushed for an infection. I believe those are often the cause of late-term abortions, though again just about anything could have happened.

I am one of those that also thought the foal had enough of a "look" to think she was a dwarf, and with you confirming it, well, it was too easy to believe. A scientific test is so necessary for this....

Thank you for the update,

Liz

I am glad you emailed John, and he said that, as when I looked at the pics, I did not see 'dwarf' either. Sorry again though, that you had to go through that.

I am still so very sorry you lost your beautiful foal but am so glad you wrote to John.

She just did not look at all to me like a dwarf either.

I hope more and more will try to help John whenever possible with financial contributions to his research since a test for dwarfism could help us who breed minis so tremendously in our breeding choices.

Susan O.

If the mare was that far a long in her gestation, IMO it is unlikely that falling trees could have caused her to abort. Some times things just happen, don't blame yourself!

Fiona,

Thank you for updating us and helping to educate us all. When I saw the pictures, I questioned if that foal really could be a dwarf (because of her long legs), but I am not very experienced in that department.

Jill

I truly believe that the stress of a storm can indeed cause a mare to go into premature labor. My Cookie last year (that you may remember) was very close to her due date. We had a terrible storm during the night and at 10:00 in the morning she started trying to deliver. Being early the foal was not in position for birth, and I could not get it out. We had to take her to the hospital. We lost the foal but saved the mare.

So perhaps your storm may have played a part.

Rita

I'm really sorry for your loss and I know how it feels to not know how or why. As I read your story, I wonder what kind of trees were being trimmed or surround the trimmed trees. Is it possible that during the tree trimming or the storm that a poisionous leaf blew to where the mare could eat it? Every year we have to go through our tree line and cut down new wild cherry tree sapplings.

Latest posts

Back