I'm wondering what others do

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnie

Reaction score
Does anyone use Aleve? Or what would you use? I know a lot of people have bad backs, it's in the spine and now a muscle spasm, thanks to a chiropractor I went to and he wants me to come back so he can fix it but I'm now scared to go back to him. The only thing I can find that works is Vicadin and that's obviously limited. I do exercises, use ice, do stretches and try to sit and stand straight. My job requires me to work very fast and it's hard to do when you feel like there's a knife being twisted in your back so can anyone tell me, what do you do or use, mine is upper back pain. Any idea's would be appreciated. Thanks.

I haven't used Aleve, but I think Aleve contains the drug naproxen? Naproxen is an anti-inflammatory, and so should work well for certain kinds of back pain. I have a prescription for Voltaren, another anti-inflammatory, and that is what I most often take when my back is bothering me. If I've missed taking it for a few days it can take awhile for the first pill to take effect, so I take a Tylenol with it--that works quickly to give some pain relief, and gives the Voltaren time to take effect.

If it's muscular--if I know I've pulled a muscle or have bad muscle spasms in my back I do use Robaxacet--it's an over the counter muscle relaxant that includes acetaminaphen--and that can help a lot. It does make me kind of groggy, though, so I don't usually take the full recommmended dose. I used to use it quite a bit, but now that I have the Voltaren that usually does the trick for me.

Marnie, I would not quit on the chiroprater. pain gets worse before it gets better. I get up every morning with back pain. sometimes I can hardly bend over before everything stretches out. Please don't use narcotics (vicodin). there are alot of anti inflammatories out there. some need perscription. If you have a regular doctor, ask for something stronger than aleve. Also, physical therapy would help. they can do ultrasound and give you exercises to do. there is no quick cure. it takes time. hang in there. many times, chiro and physical therapy work very well together. chiro will get your back in alignment and exercises from physical therapy will strengthen the muscles to keep the back in good alignment.

good luck and hang in there.

Awww Marnie, Aleve and I don't get on, I can't take any codeine derivitives, Advil is all I can manage but alternatives (moist heat, Reiki, accupressure) may help. I was also hurt by a chiro and wouldn't go back, he said I had sensitive bones..huh?
default_wacko.png

YOGA!!! It is amazing how much that helps. Dont have to get into the odd position stuff either, the basic stretching helps tons. There is a show on Direct tv, Namaste Yoga, bet its on other cables if you dont have DTV.

My neck surgeon says NOT to go to a chiropractor at all. Physical therapy maybe. But he says a chiropractor can make things worse. He is a top surgeon that people come from other states to see. If they can get an appointment. Even at that he decides if he will take your case. Aleve has done the job for me a time or two.

I'm sorry to hear you are having a hard time of it. Where are the spasms and what kind of work do you do?

I have really bad spasms below my shoulder blade from my neck and arm muscles so I have to make sure I sit correctly at this computer. If I don't my left arm feels like it is on FIRE and the spasms knot up right between and below the shoulder blade. I can control it by propping up my arm, sitting straight and being aware of how I hold my head.

I have arthritis and get a lot of inflammation and pain associated with it, mostly in my hip and knees but my lower back is shot so a lot of it originates from there. I can tell you what I use and for me it works.

I do not take pain killers, or prescription drugs. One thing I found that helps tremendously with muscle pain is Vitamin D, I learned that from Dr. Oz and it works.

For pain I take Turmeric and fish oil capsules. Fish oil is Wonderful for arthritis pain. The Tumeric helped me immediately, I take two capsules of it a day and won't be without it. Try it, you'll know in a week if it will help you.

One other thing I learned (the hard way) is that the mattress you sleep on can cause a Lot of problems, so that may be something to look at as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I come from a family of bad backs( and when I say that, my mom and all kids have back problems)

From what I hear chiropraters are not the best, they snap everything back which as said above can sometimes make things worse. Physiotheraphy is the best option and the one my mom uses. She has a permently bad back and her routine is to go to the physio every 3 months; the good thing with the physio(besides releving the muscle pain), they can show you stetches and excersices that are good for the exact problem you have in your back) What she does inbetween the physio is she goes to a masage therapist every 2 weeks. I have personal used this service as well and would recommentd it; unlike the chriopracter, a MT masages the muscles around the tense joints so that what every is out of place can then be gently guided to its proper location. This is the reason behind most muscle spasmism in the back, something is out of place, stretching the muscles and causing pain. It took me about 6 months of seeing the MT every 3 weeks to not have my back go out, and mostly it continued to go out because I stressed and didn't let it recover(heavy lifting, not sleeping right, etc) this is where the physio and mt can guide you and how to keep a healthy and happy back.

From my personal experience; excercise is key. The human body was made to move, not sit for hours on end. When I injured my back 1.5 years ago, I took up walking, slow at first but now I go for about 4-5 miles each day. It doesn't have to be walking either, my mom swimms 3 times a week for half hour or more, the biggest thing is that its not back jarrering.

2nd thing is to have a strong core; there is not alot of muscle in the back, so having a strong core muscle will support it and prevent futher injury, but also take this slow; over doing excersice can actually hurt the back more than help (which for me meant another trip to the masage therapist
default_sad.png
This is where the physio is a big help, they can give you the best kind of excersices that aren't going to hurt you futher, or like me you can play by your own discretion.

And just one more thing, and I'll make is short
default_smile.png
is don't foget to stretch

Hope all of this helped and you can soon be pain free!!

Maybe you will like this maybe not. i have a magnetic field therapy bed, pillow and rod for pain and general wellness. I use it everyday, and it keeps me free of pain. I run a hotel and restraunt, and I am standing on my feet for 15 to 17 hours a day, with varicose veins, bunions (that were removed) and a bad back. I dont take anything except Johannasburg herbs in a galss of water and my magnetic field therapy. ( can be used on horses too, for all sorts of things including arthritis ) Look into this alternative method , and if you want more info just ask me.

Larry has a bad back.....chronic....... Here's what I do for him......

1. Reiki

2. Pop his back

3. Message with Emu Oil

I don't know much about Reiki and don't know what a natural healer is, I do live in the middle of no where too so don't have a lot of things here. I have been researching the magnetic therapy idea, I wrote to Krissy, if you see this, did you get my note? Thanks for all of the good idea's. I have decided not to go back to my chiropractor.

Acupuncture worked wonders for me. But I can't find a good acupuncturist down here... had two wonderful ladys up north.

All I can take is advil, most other pain meds I am allergic too.

I sleep on a special memory foam topper for my bed, rather like temperpetic (spell?)

Use heat and cold as needed.

Not all magnets are created equal but I really like the ones from these folks. Works great. I don't use if for my neck but just about every other place on my body I need it. Couldn't afford the bigger size at the time.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/productclass...uctClassid=2571

And lastly... learn how to properly do stretches.

Reiki, didn't do a think for me. No difference whats so ever.

Hopefully ones of these ideas work for you.
default_wink.png

I feel for you, back pain is no fun. Hugs

Last edited by a moderator:
There is nothing better then a good chiropractic adjustment. I've had two in my life and gosh - the difference!!!

I work as an STNA right now, which means a lot of lifting and bending. At times I do get some lower back pain and ibuprofen does the trick, I get the Equate brand at walmart...I think 100 200mg tabs for right around $3. I normally take 600mg (three tabs) and that does the trick....Ibuprofen is the only thing that works for me. Always have some at home and in my purse.

Tho it may be hard to understand and get a grip on...Reiki can be used to help and heal by distance. I have done so with humans and the animals as have many of our fellow Reiki folks here.

I have chronic back pain from an old horse back riding injury. I suffered for years until I bought a new mattress. We bought a Sleep Number bed and LOVE IT! Its comparable in price to a regular mattress, has a 25 year warranty, and completely flexible in what ever your back needs. Some nights I need a firm mattress, some nights I need a softer mattress. Its been one of the best investments I have ever made.

There is nothing better then a good chiropractic adjustment. I've had two in my life and gosh - the difference!!!
I work as an STNA right now, which means a lot of lifting and bending. At times I do get some lower back pain and ibuprofen does the trick, I get the Equate brand at walmart...I think 100 200mg tabs for right around $3. I normally take 600mg (three tabs) and that does the trick....Ibuprofen is the only thing that works for me. Always have some at home and in my purse.
Chiropractor and Motrin usually work for me. I have a bad hip, and the chiropractor has done wonders for getting it back where it belongs. I sometimes have issues with my neck, but don't let the current chiropractor adjust it by hand (the old chiropractor could), he has a tool he uses and it works for me.

I have had people do Reike for me..but it didn't work. Isn't that I don't believe in those kinds of methods... not everything works on everyone.

I am finding back pain more and more, today heard this commericial and was wondering has anyone bought this yet?

cost is $200.00 but might be worth it as I am not getting any younger.

Back 2 Life

http://www.getback2life.com/

Latest posts

Back