I'm sure this ? has been asked a 1000 times...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twilightranch

Reaction score
SORRY! :D I'm sure this had been asked alot but I'm wondering what the difference between hunter and jumper is in the 2 different jumping classes in amha. Also if anyone can explian what style or type of horse works better in each one. Oh and my colt is a little over 3yrs old wondering if this is to young to start him over jumps... THANKS : )

I don't think it matters whether you are talking about AMHA, AMHR, Pinto, or big horses, because IN GENERAL, hunter is about form over the jumps and smoothness, while jumper is based simply on faults (knockdowns, refusals, etc). For minis, hunter is once around the course, and perhaps trotting for soundness. You want to keep the same gait - either trot or canter - between jumps and try to be very smooth. Smaller minis can do very well in this class. In jumper, you need to read the rules because after the first round, ties are broken in various ways, either by continuing until ties are broken or changing to a timed event, or maybe some variation. Also, the maximum height of jumps varies by registry.

Three is an OK age to start jumping - I wouldn't start before then. Start with ground poles, and I start them over a log or fallen tree so they know they have to jump. All of our minis love to jump (except broodmares). They need a certain amount of power from the rear end to do the really high jumps, but most minis can do the hunter-sized jumps (up to 24" usually). Heart and desire have a lot to do with it too.

SORRY! :D I'm sure this had been asked alot but I'm wondering what the difference between hunter and jumper is in the 2 different jumping classes in amha. Also if anyone can explian what style or type of horse works better in each one. Oh and my colt is a little over 3yrs old wondering if this is to young to start him over jumps... THANKS : )
Hunter is on style, grace, manners, gait, smoothness, etc. The jumps are between 18-24" tall. Jumper is all on height and faults. Jumper starts at 24-28" and can increase each round by 2-6" until 44" has been reached. Rounds continue until any ties for first place are settled. This may take one round, or 6 (depending on how high they are raised each time).

In AMHR jumper is only 2 rounds. The first round I believe the jumps are usually 28". Everyone that has a clean round then goes again, the jumps are raised i THINK TO 30" and then it is timed and the horse with the fastest time and the least (OR NO) faults wins.

I start my horses the fall of their 2 year old year, but I do not go over 24" until they are 3. The AMHA and AMHR rulebooks say a horse can not show in either class until they are 3 years old. ONe of my jumping horses I started at 2 as I said with small stuff and manners etc. then "finished" at 3, is now 15 and has been showing in hunter and jumper since he was 3 and is still extremely competitive.

I start my horses the fall of their 2 year old year, but I do not go over 24" until they are 3. The AMHA and AMHR rulebooks say a horse can not show in either class until they are 3 years old. ONe of my jumping horses I started at 2 as I said with small stuff and manners etc. then "finished" at 3, is now 15 and has been showing in hunter and jumper since he was 3 and is still extremely competitive.
Just to clarify this for anyone else that may be reading, the reasoning behind the age restricitions is the concern for the proper development of the structure of the horse. Jumping (or driving, etc.) too young may cause permanent damage to fragile tissues and bones. CDE horses have to be 4 yrs. old to compete.
yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you!!! That helps ALOT think I will try for the hunter class first and maybe if he really like jumping will do both time will tell mainly just want to give him a job (that he likes) haha
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back