I'm really irritated

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
My husband and I want to buy a home, and have been looking for "the one" for some time. We drove by a house in early March, and I told Mark "Eew, I don't like it!" So we looked elsewhere. On May 31st, we were out driving around and I told Mark "let's drive by that place again". The second time we went by, it was like magic. I saw it in a whole new light and I told Mark that I wanted it. Mark called a realtor the next day (June 1st) and we went and viewed the house later that day. We went into the office on the 2nd and put in an offer for $15,000 less than what they were asking!

We figured that since it is in a rural area, it would go "Rural" and we wouldn't have to pay a down payment. HA! On the 5th, our lender called us and told us that because it is a mobile home and it was lived in (for a whole 2 months), FHA wouldn't go rural and that we'd need a 3.5% down. I paniced and we revoked the offer. At that time, I wasn't sure if I'd even have a job the following school year (layoffs), and with going into summer, we didn't have enough money saved up for a down payment (I don't get paid in July or August). But it was heart-breaking, and it kept nagging at me. So we decided to resubmit our offer on June 12th and ask the sellers to pay 6% of the closing costs. On June 18th, our agent called to tell us that the sellers would accept $25,000 less than the asking price but they would only pay 3% of the closing costs. So we counter-offered, asking that they pay 4.5% of the closing. And on the 25th, they agreed to our offer and terms. :)

The first time we called and talked with our lender (June 3rd), we told him that we kept our savings at home, rather than in a bank. He told us to get our money in the bank ASAP. So we did. So on July 6th, he called and told us that we were going to have a problem because there was no paper trail for the $3,000 that we suddenly put in the bank. He told us not to worry too much, that he would think of something. We had little faith, since he's the one who told us to do it in the first place, and he never mentioned a paper trail (we could have had my mom "gift" us that money if we had known).

On the 20th of July, we opened escrow. But on August 1st, the appraisal came back as $23,000 less than the agreed price. So once again, we had to go back into negotiations with the sellers, to make sure that they'd continue with the sale, rather than backing out of it and waiting for market values to rise. It took them 2 weeks to get back in touch with us, and then they requested a copy of the appraisal, so they could make their decision. It took them over a month to agree to continue with the sale and to return the necessary paperwork, so that we could continue with escrow and the underwriting. In that time, enough time had passed where our lender could use a bank statement showing our last 45 days of activity, rather than the 3 months of normal bank statements that we get in the mail. Then to find out, instead of the 2.5 acres that we were supposed to get, it's only 2.08 because the county took some of the property for roadway.

Escrow should have closed on September 20th, but on September 30th, we found out our lender's underwriter didn't want to finance the house because it is a mobile home in a rural area. Apparently, they thought it was a risky investment. Our agent put us in contact with a bank representative she works with, and on October 5th, we went in and restarted the loan process all over again with him. We had to pay an extra $275, to have the appraisal looked at again by this office. Today, we got a call from our agent saying that the bank doing our loan wanted a well and septic certification done on the property, and that if this doesn't close by the end of this month, then the house goes from a "short sale" to a "foreclosure". And no one wants that to happen. As of now, we'll have to pay $400 for the well cert, and $300 for the septic cert. This $700 along with that extra $275 for the appraisal to be reappraised, is almost an extra $1,000 on top of what we already owe for the down/closing. Not to mention that our 60 day escrow has almost become a 120 day escrow.
default_sad.png

Please, I need some words of encouragement! Please remind me that when this is all said and done, and put behind us, this house will be worth it! I feel extremely discouraged right now because it doesn't seem like escrow will ever close! Wouldn't that be the icing on the cake? To pay $400 for the appraisal, along with that $275 and $700...just to not end up getting the place anyway.
default_rolleyes.gif

*Update on page 2

Last edited by a moderator:
First, the well & septic certifications should be the responsibility of the sellers....just as termite inspects.

Second, the bank should be able to have the forclosure action stalled by contacting the firm now holding the note. They may need to confirm financing & funds available from you.

Third, if the escrow doesn't close & property goes to forclosure, you may still be able to purchase thru auction OR bank that forcloses.

default_wacko.png
Frustrating, I know.

My friend's sister had her dream acreage picked out, made an offer & had it accepted--then they did the well and septic system appraisal and found out that one or both (can't remember the exact details) were going to need a lot of work...water system was the problem I think...was going to take something like an additional $20,000.00 to make the water acceptable for drinking. I never asked which party paid for the appraisal of the two systems, But, the family had to back out of the purchase, they just couldn't justify paying that much extra on top of the purchase price. I hope nothing like that happens in your case!

It can be frustrating,but it's so worth it. I think it just makes you appreciate your home that much more when it's all over. Hang in there,hope things speed up for you
default_yes.gif

GRRRRRRRR This whole deal would have made me run for many reasons but especially because of the amount of acreage suddenly decreased would have a definate effect on the price.

Also, although a realtor can draw up any condtions to purpose to the seller, Becky is right as it is usually the sellers responsibility for this:

First, the well & septic certifications should be the responsibility of the sellers....just as termite inspects.

I have always wanted a double wide and there are tons of them here in the south on acreage for sale for a song but here's the catch around here: Lending institutions do not like to lend on them for many reasons but one reason is that you cannot get Homeowners insurance on them and then you are stuck between a rock and a hardplace. That's the way it is here. So just something for you to investigate before you go any further on this deal, find out where you can get Homeowners insurance and remember, the realtor is not working for you, they are working for the seller. I think you are being played.

Been there, done that, bought the T shirt.

You would not believe how many offers we put down on different places and for some reason or another, things would just fall though. All kinds of silly and not so smart reasons.

I know how much you want this place but knowing what I know now, personally, I would walk away. Honest to boots... when the right place comes along, things will run smoothly with no issues. Just keep looking.

Like Marty said....and it is a good tip. Never use the Realestate agent that repesents the seller. You will get played because they want to do what is best for their client,not the buyer.

Find a Realestate agent that has nothing to do with the place you want to buy and has a large number of years in the business, get refereneces. They will know the ins and outs and do their best for you.

Thank you, I feel a tad bit better now. We went in and talked with our agent yesterday, and asked a LOT of questions. She's really upset over this whole ordeal also, because she's been in limbo since June too. Not to mention that someone (appraiser or ?) went inside and turned on the AC. Apparently they didn't turn it off before they left and she just got stuck with a $600 electric bill. The place is going through a short sale right now, so a bank is actually the ones selling it for the people who couldn't make the payments or whatever. The bank has an agent representing them (Nancy), and we have our own agent (Theresa). Both Nancy and Theresa have decided to split that $600 payment.

Theresa said that we should be closing by the end of this month, because the bank financing us are ready to go. They just needed some paperwork for verification or something like that. They are doing the well search today, and the septic tomorrow. As of now, we don't have to pay anything because the septic cert was in our contract for the seller to pay. If we have to pay for the well, Theresa said it will be a minimal amount.

It's extremely frustrating because this is our 4th attempt at purchasing a home. About 5 years ago, we found a home in a ritsy area and were going to get it for a good price. We started escrow and hated the lender after we started working with him. After escrow was supposed to have closed, he had us come in and sign some paperwork that he had to submit. Come to find out, two weeks went by and he hadn't submitted it because he had been busy. We decided to let it go because we didn't feel comfortable with anything he was telling us. He also wouldn't lock in our interest rate, and it kept sky rocketing everytime we talked to him. While it was upsetting, I think we made a good decision because everytime we went to the house, there were dead birds everywhere (all in the yard and even inside the wood burning stove inside). We had pets and was afraid that someone was putting poison out, we didn't want to chance our pets eating the birds. Then we found another place that needed some work, but it sat on 6 acres. The only problem was that it sat about 100 feet from the river bottom, which hardly ever flows. Not even two weeks after starting the loan process, we had a lot of rain, and the river was full to the top. Had it been much more, it would have started traveling to the house. We took that as a warning and decided it wasn't worth it. Then we attempted to get a little house on 2 acres, but it had some mildew in the bathroom and the lender wouldn't finance it.

We decided to stop looking for a while. Lol. None of those places were actually what we wanted, or in an area where we wanted to live for long. We just wanted to have our own place. We waited, and then we found this place and it feels right. We love the area, the trailer is a 2008 model and was only lived in for 2 months before being put on the market, it has a garage that is bigger than our 2 bedroom apartment, I can have the horses on my own property and it isn't that far from my mom or my job. Even with everything that has happened, I don't want to let it go...unlike the other three places, which were actually pretty easy to walk away from. I just hope that it does work itself out!

We will all be keeping our fingers crossed.

We stalked our dream house for two years!!! Made an offer on it at first for $20,000 less and was turned down. Then two later years the sign came down and we cried....thought it has sold. We had looked at others and made offers on others that were ,,,okay. Not like "our" house, who was waiting for us. Then right after Christmas two years later, the sale sign went back up, at the price we offered the first time!!! We put our house on the market and sold within two weeks and bought it. Came right together. After lots of heartbreak and tears. It has been 8 years and we love it still.

Thanks Kim for sharing your positive experience. I remember emailing with you a couple of months ago (about a painting) and I had mentioned that we were supposed to be moving shortly and that I'd be in touch. Well...we still haven't moved, but I promise that you'll be hearing from me shortly after we do (if we do
default_rolleyes.gif
).

I've spent the past 5 months planning out where everything is going to go, and how we're going to do the yard. There's been many sleepless nights because I was so excited. One good thing, we learned after our second attempt to not pack before we're given the keys. We made that mistake and packed everything up, only to be here another 5 years and we haven't been able to find certain things since. When we do ever move, it will be just like Christmas as we unwrap all the things we've forgotten we have.
default_laugh.png

Well it's been almost a month and we still haven't closed escrow. The 12th will officially make 6 months since we put in the offer for this place. We're in the last stages of escrow, and we couldn't figure out what was holding us up. Last week we called and Theresa (our lender) said that the bank that we're buying from got a new assessment officer and she was going over the contract before giving the final approval because we had to resubmit an updated contract because it's been so long. Well today we found out that the bank is no longer honoring the original agreement, and they are refusing to pay the 4.5% closing costs. Since it was only supposed to be a 60 day escrow, the original contract is void and they can change everything in it. They have also refused to pay for the certifications that they originally were paying and that have already been done. I'm so bummed. If we still want the house, we have to come in with an additional $4600 to cover those costs. If we do pay the costs ourselves, then we can probably have escrow closed by the 15th. But that extra money was supposed to go towards fencing, so that we could move our animals over there after we give our 30 day notice here. It's been one thing after another with this place, but we still really want it...we have 6 months of waiting invested in it. Both agents are trying everything to get the bank to cover some of the costs, since it isn't our fault that it's taken so long.

The house was on the market for almost a year with no interested parties. The house was supposed to go into foreclosure this month but the bank stalled that since we were ready to close escrow. No one can understand why they would go back on the deal because they will get more money from us buying it, then if they let it go into foreclosure. Our agent seems to think that they kept stalling us from getting it, so that time would lapse and they would no longer have to honor their word. They figured we'd have too much invested and would pay what they were supposed to cover, rather than backing out. And the sad thing is, they're probably right. I know one thing for sure...that bank is constantly sending my husband and I offers for a credit card. I will never give them any kind of business again after this deal is finished!
default_new_let_it_all_out.gif

Second, the bank should be able to have the forclosure action stalled by contacting the firm now holding the note. They may need to confirm financing & funds available from you.

Third, if the escrow doesn't close & property goes to forclosure, you may still be able to purchase thru auction OR bank that forcloses.

default_wacko.png
Frustrating, I know.
Over here.. Well testing and any inspections have always been at the buyers cost. Only sellers cost is making sure the septic is clean before the sale.

Am sorry they are just playing games with you, KD . Sadly, the US people bailed out the banks but they are making it nearly impossible to get home loans.

I do wish you the best of luck on your next try!

Latest posts

Back