If your had to choose only one regestery

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So much depends on what you're doing with your minis. I don't think I could choose just one registry because I show Pinto! I definately wouldn't only register Pinto because even though I love their shows I don't think I'd sell many minis if they weren't at least registered AMHA or AMHR. Pinto has a "B" division as does AMHR and that is important to me because I do breed for the taller "A" minis and sometimes they go over. I do wish that AMHA would at least have a "breeding stock" division for those horses that were AMHA registered as foals but went over. That way if you had a mare that went over but you still liked....and could very easily still produce "A" foals, you wouldn't "lose" her ancestry on those foals.

We have horses registered in AMHA and AMHR. I would really like to have all of my horses double registered but I do have one mare who went over so she is only R and one mare who is just R but have been pondering hardshipping into A. BUT.. if I had to choose only one I would choose AMHR just because they have the B division as you never know when you are gonna have those that go over. I have nothing against either registry both have good and bad points as nothing is perfect..

AMHR! I like the fact that there are two divisions in case your horse goes over 34in. Also the shows are less expensive and the people are friendlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
My choice would definitely be AMHA. We have 250 head registered with AMHA and among them probably 20 that have R papers.

AMHR / ASPC as i feel the type of horse winning in this division is my preference, also i show shetlands as well and they offer more shows in our area but i also prefer how things are handled in amhr aspc. Also, i feel there are more opportunities with both the A & B division..it allows you to take out more horses. If the horse does not have AMHR papers, unless i feel really strongly about the horse to hardship..i normally pass it by..however most of our mares are A/R mares.

I would deffinately have to go with AMHA. I just like showing AMHA much better and with the over seas buyers likeing the AMHA horses.... I just like my A horses & association the best.

You know, After having been in this deal for so many years. I do not think I could choose just one. We have grown so accustomed to taking advantage of what both registries have to offer that I would feel a really big loss if we had only one.
default_new_shocked.gif

We show both type of shows and have been successful on both circuits. The people cross over some, but for the most part are a completely different group. Both a lot of fun to be around and just hang out with for the most part.
default_wub.png

Additionally for a breeder which we are, that enjoys seeing our animals out on the circuits with other farms. I think it gives us a wider range of potential customers with whom to place our horses with to have them double and sometimes triple registered.
default_yes.gif

So I guess the answer would have to be BOTH. LOL
default_wacko.png

AMHA is no brainer for me. I like the fact they set the standards high but it's for the true miniature horse. Also, I know I'm getting a bit off topic but if I had to choose I would not get the AMHR/ASPC journal just for the fact they as in AMHR devote their time and energy towards the shetlands.

I choose AMHR... I have 9 miniature horses; one grade gelding (B-size - I'm pretty sure he came from registered stock, but previous owner didn't keep up with paperwork), 7 AMHR only horses (B-size) and 1 AMHA/AMHR stallion (31" tall). Two of the AMHR only horses have AMHA paperwork, but they've outgrown it; one AMHR only horse has AMHA application, she's outgrown it. I like the tall ones, so AMHR works for me.

Due to tight budget, I did drop my AMHA membership this year, I may pick it up again, but for now I just have AMHR.

AMHA is no brainer for me. I like the fact they set the standards high but it's for the true miniature horse.

I have seen this statement more then once on this thread what exactly is a true miniature horse

Well seeing as I have some AMHA horses who have gone over it is a no brainer for me it would be AMHR
default_smile.png

That said I think it is almost like comparing apples and oranges. They are very different and have very different strengths in my opinion.

They both have issues as does any large organization - for me it simply comes down to who is willing to acknowledge my horses and who is more active here in my area and that is AMHR. If they ever allowed a B division I would for sure join AMHA again but almost not worth it for the 2 horses I have that are under 34 in fact those 2 are under 30 lol (guess I believe in extremes)
default_wink.png

As far as WCMHR the majority of people do not even consider that a registry so that is not even an option as far as I am concerned
default_yes.gif
I'd have to say "Ditto"!

AMHA is no brainer for me. I like the fact they set the standards high but it's for the true miniature horse.

I have seen this statement more then once on this thread what exactly is a true miniature horse
For my purposes, a true mini is one with AMHR and/or AMHA papers standing 38" or smaller. If the horse had only AMHA papers, I'd just hardship him / her into AMHR regardless of where < / = 38" the horse is
default_yes.gif
:yes
default_yes.gif

Since the registries define a true miniature horse differently, I'm happy I'm smart enough to know what I enjoy the most and that is honestly a range of sizes when it comes to "a true miniature horse."

While all our breeding horses are dually registered with AMHA and AMHR, our favorite individuals here include a couple B size geldings. They're A LOT of fun, not to mention gorgeous and proportional in a way very few "tiny" minis ever are. I'd never sacrifice quality for a couple inches. Why go for cute when you can go for NICE.

Personally, I feel the goal of the "tiniest and most correct" is a little out of date. For my taste, I'd rather a little extra height, which often brings much better conformation, as well as the very tangible added usefullness... I'd much rather drive 34" than 28", etc... I think it's the performance ability in driving that is most likely to draw "big horse people" and family people to the world of miniatures and the more people interested in owning a mini, the better for minis as a whole.

I would not buy a horse that was not AMHA. I just hardshiped my stallion into AMHR. I want to show his offspring and him, locally there are more R shows. Also I like both registries and the interesting offerings of both. I love researching the studbooks on line so I also pay for that added service. If you are registering A/R horses it pays to be a member of both and they both include awesome magazines with the annual fee. I don't think I would let my memberships expire even if I weren't actively registering horses just because of the benefits of being a member.

Good Morning,

Each Registry has their place. I know there are a lot of folks that visit here that don't really know the history behind each Registry.

The American Shetland Pony Registry (ASPC) was the first Registry to keep the registrations on horses being imported into the US back in 1888. They were the first Registry to create the American Miniature Horse Registry (AMHR) thus giving a 34" & Under Division. There were several folks who didn't like it when the ASPC/AMHR created the "B" or over division and they broke off of the ASPC/AMHR to create the American Miniature Horse Association (AMHA). In looking back at both associations Standard of Perfection they read pretty much the same. Guess that is why AMHA adopted some of the same rules of the AMHR and created other rules that would benefit their association for their needs only?

One comment that kept coming up was a better "Standard". How many of you know what the defination of "Perception" is? In one simple word..."Impression". What one's impression is of an association isn't the same for another. My perception (Impression) of AMHA is an association for the Rich and Famous....my perception (impression) of the ASPC/AMHR is for the common or working class folks. Does it mean that the horses in each association is any better than the next? No, it just means that if you have the money you can play in the sandbox with AMHA ( Rich and Famous), if you don't then you can come to the ASPC/AMHR sandbox(Working Class), play and do with them.Again MY perception or Impression of each associaiton. To each his own. What are YOU more comfortable with and what is being offered in your area. Not every area has AMHA shows as well as AMHR shows. Yes, each association has their ups and downs, for NO association is perfect!

Another statement made twice...A True Miniature.....what is a True Miniature?...well here is my accessment of a Miniature Horse...something we all can relate to from the dog world:

Tea Cup: 28" & Under

Toy: Over 28" to 32"

Miniature: Over 32" to 34"

Standard: Over 34" to 38"

What is a Miniature Horse? Anything under 14.2...old timers saying/calling them....a pony....but they are all in the same catagory....Tea Cup, Toy, Miniature Horses, which they are.... same as.... Ponies which they are. The main thing is that each and every one of us has our likes and dislikes, just like we have our likes and dislikes with each Association. We still need them BOTH.

It's time that we all work toward a common goal and that is to support the registry of YOUR choice...support that Registry to be sure it stays viable and strong for years to come. One Registry isn't better than the other...it goes back to my question...what is Perception?....what is your impression?....as in the old saying...Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder...one's beautry isn't the same as anothers. An AMHA horse isn't any better than an AMHR and visa vera. It' the same horse with two seperate sets of Registration papers. What one judge see's is different than another. What one pays for a horse is different than another. Same horse same price, but what one perceives and thinks makes the difference in how you look at a miniature horse or the association that you belong to.

Interesting thread and comments.

Karen

Good Morning,
Each Registry has their place. I know there are a lot of folks that visit here that don't really know the history behind each Registry.

The American Shetland Pony Registry (ASPC) was the first Registry to keep the registrations on horses being imported into the US back in 1888. They were the first Registry to create the American Miniature Horse Registry (AMHR) thus giving a 34" & Under Division. There were several folks who didn't like it when the ASPC/AMHR created the "B" or over division and they broke off of the ASPC/AMHR to create the American Miniature Horse Association (AMHA). In looking back at both associations Standard of Perfection they read pretty much the same. Guess that is why AMHA adopted some of the same rules of the AMHR and created other rules that would benefit their association for their needs only?

One comment that kept coming up was a better "Standard". How many of you know what the defination of "Perception" is? In one simple word..."Impression". What one's impression is of an association isn't the same for another. My perception (Impression) of AMHA is an association for the Rich and Famous....my perception (impression) of the ASPC/AMHR is for the common or working class folks. Does it mean that the horses in each association is any better than the next? No, it just means that if you have the money you can play in the sandbox with AMHA ( Rich and Famous), if you don't then you can come to the ASPC/AMHR sandbox(Working Class), play and do with them.Again MY perception or Impression of each associaiton. To each his own. What are YOU more comfortable with and what is being offered in your area. Not every area has AMHA shows as well as AMHR shows. Yes, each association has their ups and downs, for NO association is perfect!

Another statement made twice...A True Miniature.....what is a True Miniature?...well here is my accessment of a Miniature Horse...something we all can relate to from the dog world:

Tea Cup: 28" & Under

Toy: Over 28" to 32"

Miniature: Over 32" to 34"

Standard: Over 34" to 38"

What is a Miniature Horse? Anything under 14.2...old timers saying/calling them....a pony....but they are all in the same catagory....Tea Cup, Toy, Miniature Horses, which they are.... same as.... Ponies which they are. The main thing is that each and every one of us has our likes and dislikes, just like we have our likes and dislikes with each Association. We still need them BOTH.

It's time that we all work toward a common goal and that is to support the registry of YOUR choice...support that Registry to be sure it stays viable and strong for years to come. One Registry isn't better than the other...it goes back to my question...what is Perception?....what is your impression?....as in the old saying...Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder...one's beautry isn't the same as anothers. An AMHA horse isn't any better than an AMHR and visa vera. It' the same horse with two seperate sets of Registration papers. What one judge see's is different than another. What one pays for a horse is different than another. Same horse same price, but what one perceives and thinks makes the difference in how you look at a miniature horse or the association that you belong to.

Interesting thread and comments.

Karen

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I REALLY detest the thought/idea that AMHR horses aren't "worthy" to be called "true miniature horses". Or that the AMHR doesn't hold up to the standard of AMHA. Rubbish. It's that "elitism" rearing it's ugly head again... *sigh* ah, well.

We do show in both registries, go to both Nationals and Worlds. 90% of our horses are double registered. But for me, it's AMHR.

Lucy

I will not recopy since that has been done, but I wanted to say, thank you Karen for summing it all up perfectly!

We are members of both registries, have horses in both, but if I can not get AMHR or ASPC papers on a horse, I do not need it. (Sorry Buddy, he is a grade shetland out in our pasture, I do love him) We show only AMHR, and that is our "fun" thing to do. Expensive, a lot of work, but fun!

Latest posts

Back