If you owned this horse woudl you geld him?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if we are all about GELD, GELD, GELD, why not geld him? I don't think he'll ever be Na'l Champ, so why keep him a stallion? You guys are confusion
default_rolleyes.gif
: I say geld & have fun showing!

I find it very interesting that there is a whole two pages dedicated to people basically saying "HECK NO" to castrating this horse. Why is this horse so much better than all those other horses that are running around ruining the breed and overpopulating the country? I see three active LONG threads praising castration and wondering where geldings aren't as popular, than I see this one saying "give him a chance, you can't undo it". Why the duplicity?

I see three active LONG threads praising castration and wondering where geldings aren't as popular, than I see this one saying "give him a chance, you can't undo it". Why the duplicity?
Why?

I think some people are having trouble looking past the colour. They are bedazzled by the spots...
default_wink.png
:

If he was solid black or solid chestnut, there would be more people suggesting that he would make a great gelding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nathan, I have to say I'm very surprised by the answers on this thread too.

I really don't get it.

Edited to add; yes, I do think Tag is right--it's the color issue. Even though Ashley said to disregard color, many here are being taken in by the color.

There are many reasons to geld a stallion including your plans for him, any genetic flaws that he may pass on, housing arrangements, etc. I would not necessarily geld based on the pictures, but there are many other factors to consider.

I am normally one of the first ones here to jump on the "GELD IT" bandwagon.

HOWEVER

Every now and then (especially when I go to shows) I look at all the stallions out there that are a farm's main breeding stallion and remember that this breed has more poor quality stallions than good quality ones. That said, I would consider your horse an "upper average quality" stallion because he is basically correct, has some desireable conformation points beyond the basics, and has color. While color isn't everything, it can be a huge selling point for a horse/breeding program/marketing foals. This is a colt that COULD be a decent stallion. Maybe not the most amazing Grand Champion, but he has no glaring faults that say he SHOULD be gelded and has some nice features that say he could be better-than-average.

We haven't been given much to go off of, though, so it's a tough call. We don't know his performance ability, show record or bloodline, which are important for a stallion to have. A stallion should be as well-rounded as possible.

It is NEVER wrong to geld a stallion, it is ALWAYS a "good choice" for the horse. But we know the realities of gelding, which means a monetary devaluing of the animal and the inability to produce foals from it. So that makes it a little harder to make that decision in this breed.

I always laugh at everyone who says "GELD IT" and then I visit their website and see thier own breeding stallions producing foals. Sometimes people are just as barn blind as the people they are advising.

It's a tough call, Ashley, but I think you will make the right decision.

Maybe you can show us your other breeding stallions or breeding prospects to put him into perspective. Sometimes it's not "is this horse the most amazing stallion out there in the world" for some people, it's what they can afford and have available to them. That is also a reality of a breeding program.

Andrea

I would geld him. I agree with Frankie gelding Tom Cruise sounds like a great idea to me. Its not just conformation. Its attitude too!

He would make a ok stallion but a dynamite gelding.

Nice boy! If I had the room and needed a stallion I'd wait on gelding
default_smile.png

Tammie

So if we are all about GELD, GELD, GELD, why not geld him? I don't think he'll ever be Na'l Champ, so why keep him a stallion? You guys are confusion
default_rolleyes.gif
: I say geld & have fun showing!

I find it very interesting that there is a whole two pages dedicated to people basically saying "HECK NO" to castrating this horse. Why is this horse so much better than all those other horses that are running around ruining the breed and overpopulating the country? I see three active LONG threads praising castration and wondering where geldings aren't as popular, than I see this one saying "give him a chance, you can't undo it". Why the duplicity?

Why Nathan hold on to your drawers :lol: WE AGREE!!!!!!

Lisa, :lol: I thought you were going to say athletic supporter instead of drawers :lol:

Ashley, if you want to breed for appy's or appy crosses.....maybe you should wait till spring and relook at him. He will change alot over the winter into next spring and a clip to see him.

Also if he hasn't dropped by then or has one up or down(don't remember if you said he was or wasn't) you may have your answer on gelding or staying intact.

Why Nathan hold on to your drawers :lol: WE AGREE!!!!!!

Nathan I dont know who you are, but I sure like the way you think. I see no reason to keep a horse a stallion if you have to ask others first. If you don't know in your own mind that the horse is worthy of keeping his parts, then the question should be how soon can I geld him.

And to prove I practice what I preach, my next candidate for the knife, when the weather get cooler, he is on the chopping block. I let my daughter show him this year as a stallion, but in his next career he will be a jr halter gelding. He has color, confirmation, breeding and disposition, everything to make a wonderful stallion. He will make one heck of show gelding.

dallasleft.jpg

Hehe apparently you missed the other gelding post minimom
default_wink.png
: I think I gave several people here coronaries by suggesting that its unethical (in my mind) to castrate any colt who hasn't proven that he doesn't deserve his testicles, THROUGH HIS OWN doing.
default_smile.png
I own two stallions, one of which is publically offered and the other which I'm perfectly happy never to breed. (I also work as a semen tech, working with several hundred stallions) But my point of view was, uhm... not supported by the general public.
default_smile.png
(to say it nicely) So after that discussion where the consensus was people are ruining the breed by refusing to castrate, this thread is a surprise, hence my question as to the double standards.
default_smile.png

Ashley,

He is lovely!! And remember he is still a yearling - once he is gelded you can NOT undo it.

I say give him a bit more time before you make the decision.

You can always get Boo gelded but you will never be able to turn him back into a stallion.

Just my opinion!!

Really depends on what your interests are. Breeding, producing foals or more towards showing, halter, jumping and driving. You also know the strong and weak points of your mares so that is something to consider. Does his strong points compliment the mares weak points? And vice versa. Also as a two year old he will look different. He should be quite a handsome young two year old. As far as gelding him, now I would have to really look at him better than what I saw of him at the Minnesota show. He would make an awesome, competitive gelding though, I must say! I did geld a beautiful silver dapple colt a couple of years ago, mostly because he was going to be over 34" and since we do not ourselves have a lot of the over 34" minis, I think I was a little too quick in gelding him, just because we don't have a use for many over 34", I figured no one would want him. Well, two years later he is a beauty and gelded, but I am going to have hopefully a handsome over 34" gelding to drive and show! Lavonne

I would definately wait. I don't think that you can judge him at this age. Yearlings can go through an awkward stage and at this age look the worst they will ever look.(I think he looks very nice now, by the way) I say wait till he is a two or 3 year old before you make that irreversible decision.

No way would I geld him. I would wait to see what he turns like as he gets older.

He is a gorgeous stallion. Yes, he will make a nice gelding, but I would wait to see

if he would make a gorgeous breeding stallion first. Once you cut him, you can't

change it. You can always geld later. I would wait and see.

Vicky

Latest posts

Back