If you owned this horse woudl you geld him?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to ask how old he is, since he looked young.

If he looks that good as a yearling, I would wait and see how he matures.

But then again he would be an awsome gelding, and would really stand out in performance
default_yes.gif
:

I would have to vote along with most here- NO, not yet....!!!!

And I agree, you keep the knife (I'll even send you a nice new one) and I'll keep him to see how he goes! :bgrin

If he were mine and I were planning a breeding program, I would not geld him just yet. I'd still wait for him to get a little more mature before I made the decision. He's a nice little guy tho, and if you do decide to geld him he will be awesome as a gelding!

Yup, I would...
default_yes.gif
: He is a beaut, for sure, but I have gelded colts as good, and better...and been happy with the decision.

nope i wouldnt geld him,i think he is lovley i would wait and see what he is like as he matures, but im not really in a position to comment as i havent gelded my guy either, goodluck what ever your decision
default_smile.png

I would geld him, there's just as and nicer out there who are better qualified to be studs. Gelding's are useful always IMO, stallions are only until you get past that stage in your breeding program.

I say NO, I would wait a couple more years to make a final decision
default_yes.gif
:

Ashley, if you want a nice gelding, geld him. If you want to use him as a stallion, keep him whle. He's a very nice colt!
default_yes.gif
:

Ashley... IMHO if you have to ask for outside opinions... the answer is GELD HIM.

If he is not giving you - who knows him well - that electricity and charisma that a great stallion has... that "feast your eyes on me" attitude... the "strutting my stuff" look...combined with excellent conformation, then he will be a spectacular gelding. I agree with you about looking past that loud pattern - without that he is a nicely put together but not sensational guy - from that picture, anyway.

I think you will have more fun with him as a gelding.... and then the should I or shouldn't I will not be rolling around in your head.

default_yes.gif
:

Ashley... IMHO if you have to ask for outside opinions... the answer is GELD HIM.

If he is not giving you - who knows him well - that electricity and charisma that a great stallion has... that "feast your eyes on me" attitude... the "strutting my stuff" look...combined with excellent conformation, then he will be a spectacular gelding.

default_yes.gif
:
Maybe this boy IS doing that to her, and she is asking others opinions as she does not want to be "barn blind", so wants to see if others are seeing him in a similar light to what she is???

Maybe this boy IS doing that to her, and she is asking others opinions as she does not want to be "barn blind", so wants to see if others are seeing him in a similar light to what she is???
Well, without seeing him in person, we would not be getting that "sparkle" anyway. Our only impressions are what the camera shows - but Ashley knows his personality and his "presence".

And I said, based on what I saw in the pic - he would make a great gelding - with that colour making him stand out!
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
In a perfect world, where I (or Ashley) had the time and space and unlimited resources to hang onto him, here is what I would do:

Keep him intact, and try him tentatively on at least three years as a two year old (he may not be able to settle them, either) or three year old. When the babies came, I might be better able to make my decision, also he would be more mature and I could see what I was going to have.

That said, I know she has space/housing issues with an intact stallion. As do I! If I were to buy another stallion, I would be in for major fencing work as well as likely to bolster another stall. The last stallion I had here put a real hurt on the doors of my stalls and it's all their nature. My gelding doesn't do this nor do I have to fear he just might get in with a yearling filly and breed her, or in with the gelding and kill him, etc.

If I look at Boo as if he were say solid black or brown, I see that he isn't quite "it" even as a yearling. YES, he is NICE and he is more correct than I'd say most of the stallions I see out there breeding. He has a lot of great features, he has his shortcomings. I just don't say "wow" if I see him as solid. I say "nice" and that doesn't do it for me as far as keeping one intact/breeding to him, etc.

NOW add the color and I say very few of the appaloosa or color intense horses look this nice conformationally. I DO think he may have something to contribute, and herein is where I'm sure Ashley has her dilemma. She loves this horse deeply, so I'm sure he does wow her. AND he moves beautifully from what I've been told. What she wants to do is see what the others who don't love him as a friend feel, also, I'm guessing?

Anyway, we are adding to the confusion I'm sure, but I would geld him given MY current situation and likely, to simplify things for her, I would geld him as well. It will be somewhat sad, but again it won't kill him and he will be a wonderful and exciting show horse.

Liz

--quick ps, whoever added to geld Tom Cruise: Please do, the man has gotten out of control and I can't look at him at all (he has always been a homely thing to me anyway) without thinking of the craziness he's living. GLAD he was fired, he's outta control.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
--quick ps, whoever added to geld Tom Cruise: Please do, the man has gotten out of control and I can't look at him at all (he has always been a homely thing to me anyway) without thinking of the craziness he's living. GLAD he was fired, he's outta control.
default_smile.png

:lol: :lol: :lol:
default_yes.gif
:

I am not a breeder so my opinion may not mean a whole lot....but I say geld....

He is a very nice horse with stunning color, markings, but since we are not taking color into account, I say geld.

default_smile.png

:lol: :lol: :lol:
default_yes.gif
:

:new_shocked: :eek:fftopic:

Latest posts

Back