If Rita hits TX coast?????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelridge

Reaction score
I have heard on the news that if Hurricane Rita hits in the projected path,, 25% of the US oil/gas will once again be in short supply and gas will go well over $3 a gallon.

And with the potential elevated prices,,. and having to lock everything up and worry about theft. Buying trailer locks and padlocks. We are on the border as to wether we are going to Nationals or not. Will loose my entry fees but that will be a drop in the bucket compared to what we are about to spend in gas and accomodations, food, etc.

Also have heard the number of entries is way down.

What is everyones thoughts on this,, are you still going?

Hey Al....where is Cypress? On another board I read, people in Cypress are leaving...what are your plans?

Sue

Still planning on going will see though, I got a count on horses well over 900 head and over 2500 entries.

Still planning to go here and have been clipping horses and getting ready. However, on tonight's local news they said there could be hurricane force winds as far north as Dallas and the potential for serious flooding and tornados here in Oklahoma. I'm going to continue with my plans and just keep a close watch on the weather.

We are still planning on going but will just have to wait and see what happen in Texas.

We have always had to be concerned about theft at horse shows. There have been things stolen before. The rash of thefts at the R nationals might have nothing to do with the exhibitors and everything to do with those that live close to the grounds.

I think all the talk about theft and the people staying at Will Rogers due to loosing their homes is down right uncharitable. There but for the grace of god go the rest of us! The people that were honest before are honest now however bad their situation is now. Those that were criminals are still criminals. The amount of money in your pocket doesn't determine if you will steal or not. Just like, it doesn't determine if you will help others or not.

With the port of N.O. out for a bit it will be very bad if Houstons port gets knocked out as well. Train service ( freight) is already getting wonky here from the NO trains being shoved through Houston and then north. Talk about a meltdown of services. Dont even want to think about it.

We are getting ready to go, but like Becky, watching the weather. Seems there is a possibility for the thing to 'stall out' over OK = flash floods and tornados. We'll get through it if it does, but sure worried about everyone south of us.

Charlotte

We are still planning to go as well, assuming we get through this weekend intact.

I think all the talk about theft and the people staying at Will Rogers due to loosing their homes is down right uncharitable. There but for the grace of god go the rest of us!
Amen to that last sentence! Unfortunately though, based on what has transpired in other places it is a concern. I don't mean to be uncharitable - have tried to help out wherever I can - but being realistic I will be locking things up a bit tighter. No panic, just common sense. Crises bring out the best in some folks, and sometimes the worst in those already so inclined.

Jan

mistyrose said:
I think all the talk about theft and the people staying at Will Rogers due to loosing their homes is down right uncharitable. There but for the grace of god go the rest of us! The people that were honest before are honest now however bad their situation is now. Those that were criminals are still criminals. The amount of money in your pocket doesn't determine if you will steal or not. Just like, it doesn't determine if you will help others or not.

471185[/snapback]

Totally agree! The Will Rogers facility is a huge one....plus there have been thefts at shows for several years and they almost 99% of the time tend to be non-horsey people, NOT other exhibitors.

MA

A good friend of mine that lives near Dallas told me today that their weather forecast is warning that the hurricane could cause 75 mph winds there, and six inches of rain in one day.
ohmy.gif

The show facility is all indoors, there at the Will Rogers arena, you just don't want to be traveling during that storm. Oh and it will spawn some tornadoes, so do be prepared for that as well. Sure hoping that the storm stalls out and dies down so that the coast doesn't suffer such devastating losses. Stay safe everyone!

Hey Sue,

Thanks for asking. Cypress is on the NW corner of Houston. We are high and there is absolutely no chance of flooding. I'm expecting high winds, possibly 75-100mph and lots of rain. We have several extra horses coming in tomorrow and we plan to ride it out.

The low areas to the south of Houston have been asked to evacuate but up here we have been told that unless we are in a mobile home just to stock up and hunker down. My biggest concern is the loss of electricity and thus the water well so we have stocked many barrels of water for us and the horses.

If anyone is afraid for losing their trailer to theft, I do have some space at my place and you can store it there. I'm 25 miles NW of Fort Worth.... no one should bother it. Of course, that could be a hassle if you live out of it....
laugh.gif

Lucy

Its already 3$'s a gallon here in Alabama ,local news tonight predicted gas will averag
new_shocked.gif
5$'s a gallon
new_shocked.gif
here in Alabama if the coast gets hit again!!

Well $5 a gallon will definatly do me in! Its going to cost us over $600 now in fuel.

I may have to throw in the towel.

I wonder,, if the WWMC sustains any damage,,, will it have to postpone the show?

I wish it was another month away,, so that some of this hurricane activty will have subsided. And maybe gas prices leveled off again.

This will be the second time we have tried to go to the World show and then have to put our plans on hold becuase of a hurricane!! Gosh I wish mother nature would take a chill pill!!!

AS FAR AS GAS PRICES, THIS MORNING IN OKLA CITY, I PAID 231 FOR GAS BUT I'M SURE IT WILL GO UP AS SOON AS THE HURRICANE HITS.

We are figuring that the prices will be high on the way down maybe easier on the way back. We are so far into the cost process of getting to the show that we will bite the bullet.

Postponing the show until later in the season really wouldn't work for people in the north. Its hard enough getting hair growth back as it is. November could lead to bad road conditions.

I think the idea of postponing a show of the size of A World or R Nationals is about impossible. The facilities are booked years in advance so there probably wouldn't even be dates available, not to mention all the preparations made by staff and exhibitors. If a disaster caused anything it would probably be cancellation with loss of lots of $$$ already spent by all.

I'll just keep praying that Rita fizzles!

Charlotte

well, here in houston gas is VERY VERY VERY rare. deisel is Rare but we know one spot to get gas
wink.gif
wink.gif
we r staying and riding it out but the farm i go tos minis r transported and gone til its gone

Latest posts

Back