Ideas on his colour?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kylie

Reaction score
What colour would you call this little dude... 4 wks old!

Colt.

e78ef94c.jpg

4d320fcc.jpg

His dam, black tobiano, by a black tobiano & out of a black.

5fd41172.jpg

721a669c.jpg

His sire.

1d119322.jpg

jaiatgarvey.jpg

IMG_6213.jpg

He's out of a black & by this coloured stallion.

FAFScoutShowBiz1.jpg

So on that, lol... the foal was born jet black, but now lightning up around his eyes/muzzle.

Sire not yet Cream Tested.

Thanks all.

Well, I would say black or smoky black. The only way to know for sure about the cream gene would be to test for it but it is definitely possible with that buckskin grandsire.

I would also say bay (black bay). I know that with 2 black parents he can only be black, but I would question whether the sire really is black. In this picture the sire looks bay, not black:

IMG_6213.jpg

I would also say bay (black bay). I know that with 2 black parents he can only be black, but I would question whether the sire really is black. In this picture the sire looks bay, not black:

IMG_6213.jpg

He does look bayish/brownish in that pic, lol.

Mind you, it was during late winter & he was clipped a short while before.
default_aktion033.gif

His last foal to the same mare (2005), is a black tobiano... 2005 foals by other mares are also black. He's got a grey mare daughter that was black as well.....

He's normally (& is atm), very black.

128d9eae.jpg

new_016_16.jpg

new_new_100_0747.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking his clipped color could be deceiving. It's quite possible he is a smokey black, since his sire FAF Scouts Show Biz is a buckskin..so your foal may very well be smokey black.

What were the results from the sample you sent a couple of weeks ago? That would tell you if his sire is a dilute, then you would know if he could beone as well.

I was thinking his clipped color could be deceiving. It's quite possible he is a smokey black, since his sire FAF Scouts Show Biz is a buckskin..so your foal may very well be smokey black.

Thankyou.

Anyone here got a link to a website of FAF Stud, i cant find any?

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Id also say bay.

But quite possibly smokey black!
default_yes.gif

Thanks everyone.

Maybe i should get him tested... just in case?

As to me, he's not really "bay" considering the bay foals i've bred, or seen as newborns.

Shall be interesting, but thankyou everyone.

Will keep you up to date...... cheers.
default_saludando.gif

He looks black, but not a blue black. He looks like he will be the same color as his dad. A regular black will turn reddish from the sun, and will almost look like a black bay. A true blue black never fads to a reddish color.

Since neither parent is gray, the foal can not be gray.

Last I knew, Fallen Ash didn't have a web site. I know I know - how Bizarre!! It's, like, 21st century!

From the photos I would say foal and sire are both black (not smokey)

Love foal what a stunner will he be left a breeding colt?

Riverdance, thankyou. No definitely not blue black....

begger ruffian, would love to have a squizz if they had a website. Thanks.

Taya, hmmmm as of yet im not 100% sure, if i keep him, or sell, if i sell do i cut or sell whole.....

We will see what he's like on weaning before we decide (keep/sell, cut/keep whole).

Its hard when i have the sire, but we will see on weaning, unless he becomes a naughty colt before then!
default_yes.gif

Thanks everyone.

Just curious the people that have described him as bay, from the colour breeding, he can not be bay/doesnt look bay?

Either black, chestnut or smokey (if the cream gene is there
default_wink.png
default_biggrin.png
)........

He could be bay only if his sire is actually bay and not black--which could be possible since the sire's sire is buckskin.

I've seen black bays that looked black at certain times of the year or in certain lighting.

If you test him then you'll know for sure!
default_biggrin.png

The colt and his sire, in opinion, are just "fading" blacks, which is a black horse that in the summer/in the sun gets a red tint to the coat..
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back