Ideas for fixing the measuring problem

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windhaven

Reaction score
Hello everyone
default_saludando.gif

I have been reading and following closely what everyone is saying about the measuring problem with our beloved Miniature breed associations.

I believe if it is ever going to be corrected or made better then we as members need to come up with a solution to get it fixed. The few members that have the chance go to the Conventions is not enough. We need to get this worked out and go to our District representatives and convince them that the majority of the members feel this way and want to be heard. It is their responsibility to let the board members know how we as members feel but can't be there to tell them ourselves.

I think we should all write down what we as an individual thinks would be the best way to correct it. When we get all the ideas from this thread then we need to make a poll so we can all vote on which one/s we think will be the best to help fix this problem.

I think everyone should write down their ideas and give a brief reason why it should be changed that way. That way when people read them they have a better insight on the reasoning and can make their own decision which way is best. It could even be printed off and taking to the directors when we are all done.

Some ideas already:

Measure at the top of the withers - because when the horse is standing square that spot does not move up or down like other spots and this is how all other horse breeds are measured.

Raise the height limit to 35-36" in AMHA - this will allow the horses that are OV to still have papers and many of those still produce small.

Make a rule, only 34" and under can go for the title Champion of Champions - because that is the original way the AMHA was set up and this hopefully will keep people trying to breed the best smallest horse possible.

A professional horseman from another breed be hired to hold the horses (the proper way) when getting measured - this will hopefully help eliminate some of the cheating, and people would have to train their horses to be handled by other people if they want their horse to measure in. That way horses would all be measured the same because only one person would be doing the handling and one doing the measuring. Of course this would only happen at the big shows, Champion and World, because of cost. It would be up to the exhibitors to make sure the horse measure in the right class all year to see how they are going to place in that height group.

Now these are just some ideas and I would like to hear more and then we should make a poll so everyone can vote the way they think would be best.

I would also suggest that you contact the board members in email or snail mail and express your thoughts and possible solutions.

I voted no on both proposals for a fairly simple reason. Neither will prevent cheating, that will continue as those who cheat will continue to cheat. Yes, as a big horse person, the last hair of the mane method made no sense to me, but the miniature horses have been measured this way for AMHA for 30 years now, and our data is all based on that.

If there was a rock solid solution that would end any cheating, I would be for it, but why make a change that won't solve the problem?

Did any of you read the most recent Equus article on measuring? Maybe the first change that needs to be made is to redesign the measuring sticks. They found that sticks with two levels, one on the crossbar and one on the body of the stick made the measurements way more accurate than sticks with one level.

JMHO.

There will probably never be the right answer no matter what. Then there is the matter of what point on the wither to measure.
default_wacko.png

And whatever happened to just using good old fashioned yard sticks?

Those are good suggestions!

I can't really think of any, but something should be done to prevent cheating.

At shows here in NY, I ALWAYS see people stretching their horses out and pushing on their backs to make them "shrink." I figure that probably goes on everywhere.

IMO there should be a measuring stick for each class size. Different colors or with the sizes written in 2" letters on the side. A sensor on the bottom that indicates that the stick is firmly against the cement. Levels on the horizontal and perpendicular sticks.

Put a stick on the horse, and if there's room below, go to the next size smaller. Too tall and stick doesn't touch the ground? go to the next size larger. We don't need to know to the 1/4" what size each horse is, just what class it goes in.

The good old fashioned yardsticks can warp, and can easily be misprinted to not be exact.

default_aktion033.gif
I think those are really good suggestions!!

I also agree with the measuring stick problem. I have the style that AMHA uses at all of their shows and at the World. I find that the head (which has the level) can shift and change the measurement of the horses. So I always use a small level on the arm too, to get as accurate a measurment as I can. One of the things we really need too, is an accurate measurer.

I know that some of the directors along with a few others are developing measuring sticks that are of different sizes. You place it over the horses back and the two feet need to fully touch bottom, or the horse just does not measure in. They have them for 28", 30",32" and 34".

Wonderful sugestions here! I thik we have to admit thought that no matter where a horse is measured it will still be the same size.
default_rolleyes.gif
I am all for letting our area reps. know of what we want and have them represent the majority. Not everyone will get what they want but that is life. I just hope that people will think about being honest and breed for what what the Standards state and stop the cheating. Our regisateries are so important and I don't want to see either of them seen in a bad way and want fairness for all with the betterment of our minis always in mind. Mary

Latest posts

Back