Idea for 'Interim' Internet Voting…

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R3

Reaction score
This is just a ‘brainstorming’ idea that came to me this morning. It is not at all thought through, but maybe it will be a spark to ignite someone else’s thought process…

What if AMHA (or AMHR) were to set up a non-binding type of internet voting process that was put in place where members could vote on issues BEFORE the date of the Annual Meeting? Then, all the members, and especially the Directors, could know how the general membership felt on the different questions, before they got to the meeting and cast their vote in person.

It would be especially good if there was a way to set up the internet voting to where you had to identify your Region when you voted, then your Director would know how the people in THEIR District felt. Then, if the Director voted opposite from the majority of the people they represent, the members will know about it. This would eliminate the claim that Directors make saying that no one tells them how they feel. They would have clear direction. It would also show members that maybe the rest of their District doesn’t feel the same way they do. It would be informative for everyone involved.

It would also give the Association a chance to give Internet voting a ‘trial run’, without any ‘risk’. It could be patterned as much as possible on how the ‘real’ system would be set up, if we do eventually get an internet vote. This ‘interim’ system would reveal any inadequacies, and it could be ‘tweaked’ prior to the day when we can get ‘real’ internet voting.

It would also give the Association an idea of how well an internet voting option would be used. Many believe that internet voting would greatly increase the number of people that vote on the AMHA issues. This ‘interim’ measure would help to gauge if that is correct.

An ‘interim’ system of internet voting should not have to wait to go through the ‘Rules’ process, as it is not a ‘real’ vote, so doesn’t change any of the Rules, Regulations, or By-Laws. It would just a ‘trial’, so I believe that the Board of Directors could implement it without the requirement of a Membership vote at the Annual Meeting, or having to wait the normal time-frames required for a ‘rule change’.

What are your thoughts and ideas?

I think it's a good place to start and is definately workable. They could have these set up on their websites very easily with the addition of forum such as this one, where polls could be easily set up. Maybe when users registered they would have to provide their real name to use as a login name, or a member number that the registries could check off against their files. No, not fool proof, but since it's not actual "legal" voting, it doesn;t have to me. As you said, it is more to give an idea to the directors how the majority feels in their area they are representing.

I like your idea R3. Also if we can have a comments section for each question, we can actually say how we feel about an certain issue. If you don't want to comment thats fine, just go ahead and vote. It would be up to your directors to decide if they want to use this valuable information or not. People will know about it.

It sound like a wonderful idea as long as the issues were addressed along with the vote.. As was pointed out before we do not want members voting on an issue without knowing exactly what they are voting for. It would not show the true value of the vote otherwise.. Maybe a good place to start would be a trial run at voting for directors, where candidates would state where they see the

association going and their experience within the association..

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is one of the best ideas presented for voting so far. JMO

With all the knowledge and experience on this site it's great to see a "Think Tank" in action.

JMS Miniature's and McBunz responses triggered another idea...

If it could be set up similar to what we have here on Lil Beginnings, each 'Proposal' could be its own 'topic' with a poll.

The poll could be set up with a 'YES' - For the Proposal, followed by a place to show your Region. Or a place to vote 'NO' - Against the Proposal, followed by a place to put your Region. This would tie the 'Yes' and 'No' votes to each Region for the Directors to see.

Then, like here on the Forum, people could 'reply' to the Topic and give their reasons for voting the way they did, if they wanted to. This would allow discussion on each Proposal. They could state if they just didn't like they idea, or if the voted it down because of the wording, or whatever reasons they wished to share. It would then be very similar to what actually happens at the Annual Meeting.

More thoughts...

Maybe there would be a way to have the dicussion format set up, one topic for each Proposal, and have it available BEFORE the poll was activated for each Proposal. That way, there would be a discussion time, before the people did the actual voting. That would actually be closer to what happens at the Meeting. At the Meeting, there is discussion, then a vote.

So, If the Forum for discussion was open as soon as the Proposals were put in the their final form, then the discussions could begin immediately. That is when people could point out issues with the wording or just their thoughts on the idea. (Of course, the wording can't be changed at that point, but if its 'bad' it can be pointed out, as it might affect how people vote, even if they like the 'idea' behind a proposal.)

Then, closer to the date of the Annual Meeting (maybe a week or so ahead?) the 'poll' portion could be added giving people the opportunity to actually vote. Then, even people who had never been to look at the Proposals prior to the time to vote, could read through the comments before they vote, and would have an idea of what other people think before they cast their vote.

The voting would have to end far enough ahead of the Annual Meeting that the results would be available at the Meeting.

More ideas??????

This sounding better and better all the time.. your ideas are wonderful... thanks R3

Mona's post got me to thinking too...

Maybe it could be that a person had to 'register' to participate on the Discussion/Voting Forum using their Membership number. But, they could not actually log on until the Association sent them a unique password. The password would only be sent to the email address (or mailed to the snail mail address) on file in the Office for that Membership number. That would stop people from logging in using someone elses number. They might have someone elses number, but they wouldn't have the unique password.

I think it is a great idea as long as there is room to leave a few sentences of feedback / suggestions. For those that say we cannot know all the facts or make an informed decision without being THERE in person, they can inform us by leaving their opinion also............ I have said more than once on this forum that AMHA should have a forum on their website for feedback on important matters.

I am bumping this again.

I think R3 is on to something here.

Am I the only one that thinks so?

I agree it is a wonderful idea.. Is something in the works with this????????????

I don't know - where is R3 - I haven't seen her post in a few days. I hope everything is ok.

I think it's a great idea! As you mentioned at least they'd get an idea of if/how/can voting work and could hammer out much of the problems/issues that keep cropping up as to why Internet voitng cannot work.

For the security conscious - I would hope though that only registry members could vote/comment/read this information with your membership number/name as login. Fill in hit enter, they email you a password, you login. It's quite commonly used so no excuses there!

I would like to see any comment have a signature block with the person's real name, ranch name and region.

It would give the EC/Directors some input too as to the arguments for/against any topic - from the 'its stupid so don't do it' to well thought out arguments for or against a topic. Regardless of how the members vote they would at least get a percentage of the memberships opinions on the issues at hand.

w00t on that progessive thinking!!!!

Michelle - I am glad you liked the idea also. I think it is great - I just don't have the brains, writing skills, etc. to get this started. I would sure be willing to help if there was anything I could do. I am still concerned since we have not heard from R3.

Latest posts

Back