I was robbed at work!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa

Reaction score
Last night, I was at work. I work at a video store and am there on my own most nights. I was talking to a customer when a man came in and started looking for videos. After about 10 minutes, the customer left and I went out into the store to finish my cleaning, but then he was ready to be helped. I asked him for his phone number, he gave me one, but (obviously) it was not in the system so I asked him if he had his driver's license with him. That is when he told me "I am a total drug addict and I have a gun. What you need to do is open the cash register and give me the money." He told me everything was alright afterward, that I just had to wave at him and smile and give him 5 minutes, then I could make my report. He was incredibly calm about it all, as if he was just renting a video. Even the police and my manager commented on it. I was so scared, I was shaking. I'm alright now, I was pretty much alright after he left. The only thing I didn't do was lock the door and press the panic button, I didn't even think of either...

I work again tonight, she said if I don't want to, I don't have to, but there's not much of a chance of it happening again, at least not tonight and it's better to just get back into it, or else I probably won't be able to. I've been there a year and a half, and this is the first time anyone has been robbed while I was working there. I will be having Dan (the guy I'm sorta seeing) coming to the store about 10 tonight to keep me company and make sure I'm alright, though I think I will be.

Lisa! How scarey!

I'm amazed that the store doesn't have two people working at night - just for safety reasons!

Glad you are okay.

MA

I can feel dor you! I was robbed at work once when I was in college and worked alone---verry scarey! you holding up ok? jennifer
saludando.gif

Wow, that's scary. Are you in a remote area? Maybe your boss would consider putting 2 people on at night so you wouldn't be alone.

When I was in college I worked lots of odd hour jobs and I'm lucky I didn't get robbed. The pharmacy where I worked did get robbed on my day off. They tied up the pharmacist and workers and took all the drugs. Back then I was foolish enough to think, "darn, all the excitement happens on my day off" Older and wiser now, I wouldn't let either of my children work anywhere at night by themselves.

Lisa, don't you EVER try to be brave- give them the money and smile at them, it's ONLY money and the store will carry insurance.
cheekkiss.gif

that is scary I have been thru it myself.. and dont be surprised if it seems to effect you more in a couple of weeks then it does at the moment. I to would now insist on another person being in the store.

Oh man! I can't believe your going back. That would have seriously messed my head up- but then, that's not hard to do.

My SIL was robbed once or twice... I never thought anyone would want to rob a Payless Shoe store, but apparently desperation does weird things. My hubby worked at convienence store for awhile and was either robbed, or worked at a store that was robbed on his day off...

I sure hope things are all okay, and congrats on keeping a cool head!

You poor thing
no.gif
you were so smart to give him the money, though. There was a woman (senior) who was viciously attacked the other night because her purse was being stolen and she tried to fight back.
no.gif

It might take a few days for it to sink in...please take care, and again, I'm glad you're okay...

Thanks everyone. We can't afford two people on for the nights (like last night) that it's really slow, we have 2 people on on Friday and Saturday though. Plus, we have been robbed before with two people on.

I'm still pretty much okay, but who knows. I hope I stay okay :p

My mom is upset with me for going back, but I need the money, I have to work at night, I like my job and no matter where I go, there's a possibility of being robbed, so I can't dwell on that.

Holy canoles! That is a very scary thing. It is so lucky that he was calm and meant you no harm. You could have really been hurt. Do they have cameras? I hope you have a very quiet and uneventful night if you choose to go in to work.

Latest posts

Back