I took my neighbors dog!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dairygirl

Reaction score
O.K. here is the story and you tell me what you would do.

One of my neighbors is a drug head and stays in trouble with the law. Lucky for us he hasn't stolen from his neighbors. I guess he doesn't want to do it here because then everyone would know who it is. The cops have been looking for him and his family for now 2 weeks. He has been in and out and left a cat and a basset hound puppy behind.

I didn't know he had done this since I never drive around that way because I live on a Loop and just go the other way. My other neighbor came to me with this puppy. Asked me if I would take her and to see a puppy with nothing but hide and bones she knew what my answer would be. She said the cat was in the same shape but she is keeping her and brought me the dog because she can't hide the puppy from them.

This puppy was so hungry that when I fed her she choked on the dog food. I had to dig it out of her mouth while the whole time she was trying to eat it. I was so heart broken. I took her in the house and give her some of our dinner that would go down easy and she ate like she hadn't eatten since she was born. I have grown attached to her and now this makes 21 dogs. LOL. Husband not happy, but he is dealing with it.

How can I protect this puppy from this guy coming around one day and saying, hey that is my dog. I want her back? I have taken pictures of her and God knows I will fight to keep him from getting her back. Over my dead body, but this guy is a piece of work. I do have a reputation for standing up to people and doing what is right so maybe if he thinks or knows I'll go to the cops with it if he pushes me he will stay away.

What do ya'll think?

If he ever returns I doubt he will be looking for the dog and assume that it died my response would be.

Your dog????? I'm sorry but a friend of mine gave me this dog.

You would not be lying after all you are asking a question of him and that your neighbor gave you the dog is the truth.

It would be up to him then to prove that the dog is his and by the time you have him up to snuff I doubet he would reconize(sp) the poor animal.

Jan

This may not be a popular answer, but I bet if he did come around, I bet you could buy her for $100. Of course, he'd use the money for more drugs but it's not like he's probably going to be kicking the habbit anyhow
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I would take the dog to your vet with the story. Your vet can document the dogs condition and that way it is a matter of record. Then I would let aspc know. Tell them you wish to keep the dog if that is what you are hoping. It's not that you "stole" the dog... you rescued it. And I also would use the word "rescue."

Fran

Should have also added if your neighbor then comes back hand him a copy of the vet bill.

Actually I wouldnt tell your vet what you are doing or anyone else for that matter. I would take the dog to the vet to be checked out and start its vaccines even if that is something you normally do on your own just to start to build a "written history" on this dog that way IF he ever chose to come back and say it was his you would have pics of the dog when you got it from a friend, vet records and such to show that the dog is now and was yours

I would think if he wanted it back he would have to prove it was his as others said, and you have pictures to show what it looked like when it was rescued by you, TRUST me if he is in trouble with the law, he isn't going to go to court over a dog to prove it was his!!!!!!!!!

Kudos to you for taking this little one in!!!!!!!!!!!!! :aktion033:

Thanks for the advice, all of it. I did run her to the vet and he was also very upset over the deal. He will back me up if it came to it, I'm sure of it.

We wormed her and my God I have never seen so many worms and different kinds come out all at once. Made me so sick but boy is she happy and full of life now. She can eat and doesn't get in a big hurry any more. She is so sweet and I'm going to keep her. I had one lady who wanted her but I caught her leaving a dog out in the sun with no shade about a month ago and I laughed at her and told her to forget it. She said, well this dog was big and in the way but the little one can stay in the house. I told her big or small no animal deserves that kind of treatment from anyone. MP's on post did get her over the dog in the sun thing, thank God! I wish all law enforcement was like the military when it comes to animals. Well at least here at Fort Polk, La..

This guy is something else. He got caught taking cows from a big local rancher and killing them and putting them in his freezer, after the hurricane it took us 9 days to get lights. He stole electricity some how and a couple weeks later he got caught. He spends more time trying to get out of working then anyone I have ever seen.

Dairygirl we have done the very same thing all we can say is LET THE GUY SHOW .. with the records from your vet and statement from your friends this man has no chance in the world of getting your puppy

we have rescued dogs for 6 yrs now we have had up to 36 dogs here at once...we rehome most of them and get to see most from time to time ....we have one here that when she was a puppy her owner KICKED a litter mate across a 20 foot shop to have it die from the injuries...the pup was 5 weeks old ...we took the remaining pups and took the momma dog as well...momma dog KATIE is now colorado 4 H national champion in agility the little girl we gave her too... her owner is so proud of her..so keep up the good work and have NO FEAR you have the grounds to stand now ....

I would not give this lowlife a PENNY for the dog.

IF he ever dares show his face I would hand him the Vets bills and a bill for the dogs keep for the length of time it has been with you and ask him how he wants to handle it.
default_smile.png

And Bless You for doing this- I thought I was bad enough with four dogs!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I don't have an advice for you, but I wanted to say I think you're awesome and I hope the little girl finally starts getting the life she deserves and I hope that jerkwad gets what HE deserves somehow someway.

Seems too many of these people constantly get away with being so terrible, and so many good people have bad things happen to them.
default_sad.png

It would seem to me he deserves a LOT of terrible things to occur at once, just for the sin of mistreating animals alone.

Liz M.

I agree with KEEPING RECORDS. In the meantime......play the innocent and give the pup a great home........ even if you do end up locating another home for her, at least she knows she's loved from now on!

And if by ANY chance you get approached in the future (which I doubt will happen), you can hand over copies of all the vet expenses.
default_wink.png
: I would also ask your vet to make a record in the pup's file on what condition he first saw her.

MA

Latest posts

Back