I think this is one of the saddest things I have EVER seen

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielle_E.

Reaction score
A 90-year-old Akron, Ohio, woman who shot herself as sheriff's deputies tried to evict her from her foreclosed home became a symbol of the nation's home mortgage crisis Friday.

Fannie Mae foreclosed on the Akron, Ohio, home of Addie Polk, 90, after acquiring the mortgage in 2007.

Addie Polk is being treated at Akron General Medical Center after shooting herself at least twice in the upper body Wednesday afternoon, her city councilman said.

U.S. Rep. Dennis Kucinich, D-Ohio, mentioned Polk on the House floor Friday during debate over the latest economic rescue proposal.

"This bill does nothing for the Addie Polks of the world," Kucinich said after telling her story. "This bill fails to address the fact that millions of homeowners are facing foreclosure, are facing the loss of their home. This bill will take care of Wall Street, and the market may go up for a few days, but democracy is going downhill."

Neighbor Robert Dillon used a ladder to enter a second-story window of Polk's home after he and the deputies heard bangs inside, Dillon told CNN affiliate WEWS-TV in Cleveland, Ohio.

"I just thought she may have fell or couldn't get up or something," he told WEWS. "I didn't know [she had shot herself] until I got in there. And even when I got there, she was breathing, but she wasn't saying anything to me. I knew she needed help then."

Dillon said he saw blood when he put his hand on Polk's shoulder.

"There's a lot of people like Miss Polk right now. That's the sad thing about it," said Akron City Council President Marco Sommerville, who had met Polk before and rushed to the scene when contacted by police. "They might not be as old as her, some could be as old as her. This is just a major problem."

In 2004, Polk took out a 30-year, 6.375 percent mortgage for $45,620 with a Countrywide Home Loan office in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. The same day, she also took out an $11,380 line of credit.

Over the next couple of years Polk missed payments on the 101-year-old home and in 2007 Fannie Mae assumed the mortgage and later filed for foreclosure.

Deputies had tried to serve Polk's eviction notice more than 30 times before Wednesday's incident, Sommerville said. She never came to the door, but the notes the deputies left would always disappear, so they knew she was inside and ambulatory, he said.

A recent Akron City Council study identified a number of lenders whose practices it deemed predatory.

"I get a lot of calls about this predatory lending where people are elderly and they're probably living on a fixed income and they get somebody to give them some money," Sommerville said. "Then they get in a situation where if they miss a payment they lose their house. I don't think people quite understand what happens."

The city is creating programs to help people keep their homes, he said.

"But what do you do when there's just so many people out there and the economy is in the shape that it's in?"

Many businesses and individuals have called since Wednesday offering to help Polk, Sommerville said.

"We're going to do an evaluation to see what's best for her," he said. "If she's strong enough and can go home, I think we should work with her to where she goes back home. If not, we need to find another place for her to live where she won't have to worry about this ever again."

He said that by the time people call for help with an impending foreclosure, it's usually too late.

"I'm glad it's not too late for Miss Polk, because she could have taken her life," Sommerville said. "Miss Polk will probably end up on her feet. But I'm not sure if anybody else will."

Last edited by a moderator:
Very sad state of affairs for an old lady who has probably worked hard all her life..
default_no.gif

In 2004, Polk took out a 30-year, 6.375 percent mortgage for $45,620 with a Countrywide Home Loan office in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. The same day, she also took out an $11,380 line of credit.

So do banks normally give 86 year olds mortgages and lines of credit like that? I wonder what kind of information was given for her to be able to get all of that to begin with?

Horseplay I hadn't heard about this but my guess would be that this is another example of the loans that were given to thousands of people who shouldn't have gotten them. Another assumption I'm making is that if she lost her home she probably knew (given her age) that she'd end up in a nursing home or something like that; and possibly preferred death to the humiliation and hopelessness of it all. I sure hope those businesses and individuals offering to help do it.

I'm really hope that our government, in all their supposed wisdom, has found a cure and are not just treating us like mushrooms. Unfortunately I think it will be a long time before we know whether they did or not.

I think the picture of this lady's face should be pasted on the bedroom ceiling of every senator, congressman (woman) & anyone else who had anything to do with getting us in this financial mess - including those that didn't do anything to stop it...... Our lawmakers need a reality check and I feel this recent scare will only have a temporary affect............... This womans face should be the last thing they see before they close their eyes at night. Bless her heart!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cathy H DITTO!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Everyone who received a dime from Fanny and Freddy in campaign contributions including the million to Acorn should have to pay it back NOW! The two CEO's who had a hand in this mess should be held accountable too. They should have to give back some of the huge bonuses/severance pay they received from them.

That would be several million we/our children/grandchildren wouldn't have to come up with.

Back