I think somebody dumped two dogs on our farm yesterday

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorthorsemom

Reaction score
Two dogs showed up yesterday on our farm. I think they were dumped. Hoping they are just lost, but they sure look like they were dumped. They sat in my mother in laws yard all day and never even wandered anywhere, just sat there looking lost. They stayed all day. I finally got home from work and went up and caught them both and put them in my horse training area and rigged up a hut for them for shelter and gave them food and water which they inhaled.... I am afraid to bring them in to the house until I have a vet look at them because I have 5 dogs of my own. Both are intact males. ugh. One a young choc. lab with a case of demodectic mange and the other is a huge basset hound. Friendly. Very long toenails makes it hard for the bassett to walk. Filthy and stinky and sore foot pads on both of them. Nice dogs. Very sad. Trying to figure out what to do, money is tight, but I never turn down a critter in need either. I will find a way to get them taken care of somehow. Very sad. We had 5 cats dropped here this summer and they are all very wild. I did trap neuter release on about 30 feral cats last year. Sigh. Like draining the ocean to keep up with the stream of dumped animals people think need liberating into the country on a farm. sigh.

wish me luck
default_no.gif
and pray that we find the owners and they are not really dumped dogs. My kids are naming them...
default_new_shocked.gif
noooooooooo

Last edited by a moderator:
wish me luck
default_no.gif
and pray that we find the owners and they are not really dumped dogs. My kids are naming them...
default_new_shocked.gif
noooooooooo

I really do wish you luck, but this... oh my you may have a problem and please forgive me but
default_laugh.png
. I know its not a funny situation but your kids naming them just made me laugh out loud. Kids have plenty of love to share, (they don't have to pay the bills) and I would have done the same as a child as I suspect you would have
default_wink.png
. I hope you find their family or families, it is always possible they jumped out of a pickup or something and their owners want them (I won't even go into what I think about dogs loose in the back of pick ups)

We've been pretty fortunate here, 7 years now and not even 1 stray cat. fingers crossed and knocking on wood that I haven't jinxed myself now. We are just off the paved road and rural enough without being too great a trip for people coming from town. Last year there was an old sheep in the ditch near our hay field but it was quickly adopted by someone nearby. Thank heavens, what was I supposed to do with a sheep?

I feel for you.

I'll tell you a little story that ended up opening the flood gate of rescues here.

We had lived here for about 6 or 7 years and never had a stray. So thankful... because I have done my fair share of finding strays and rescues.

My horse vet was here and she actually said to me..... "do you ever get strays here"? I said nope. We've been very fortunate.....

As we are standing there talking here comes a cat.... trots on over and jumps in her truck. I KID YOU NOT! This is a true story.

She says...... "You do now"!

Pesta as he's now known... became our first stray here at our house. He was a full time outside cat until about a month ago he was in a fight and was pretty sick for a while. He has now moved into the house part time.

A few years after Pesta came(on a really cold February night).... my husband said... Look at the back door. Standing with two paws on our back door was a small orange kitten. Of course, I couldn't turn her away. She starts walking across the deck or so I thought it was her... nope it was her twin. There were two of them. The twin ran off before we can catch him/her, but Snickers as we call her is still here. Our neighbor had a persian cat show up the same night. So I'm thinking someone dropped off at least three of them.
default_sad.png

About two months ago two gorgeous cats showed up. One was a Himalayan and one was a long haired black cat. I'm pretty sure they belonged to new neighbors about three houses from us.

Another black cat showed up a month ago, but we think that may be the same black cat that was here a little while back. Haven't seen that one since either.

At the beginning of the summer My husband called me over to the door yet again..... look at the door... It was the cutest tiny opossum just looking in the door just like Snickers did. No, that one is not coming in the house. I said I have to draw the line somewhere. LOL

Now.... all of this started the very day I said we NEVER get strays here.

Every manner of sick, injured or hungry critters end up at my place. Years ago we had a bad snow and ice storm. The electric owas out, we were all sitting by the wood stove playing cards by the light of a candle when I kept hearing a noise out in the driveway. Finally got the courage to go out, it was a duck, half froze to death with an injured wing. I brought it into the house and nursed it back to health then let it go. Well it came back in the spring with a few of it's mallard friends, and for many years we had wild mallard ducks here.

People are all the time dropping off unwanted pets, I've already taken in an extra four dogs, I've gotten to the point where I have to say no more. So now I call animal control to come pick them up. It's a shame people don't understand that these poor creatures will starve in the wild or get hit by a car. Such irresponsable humans. I do have two rescue barn cats as well. One was actually thrown from a moving car with his sister that I had to take to the vet and have put down from road rash and maggots. One year we hosted a trail ride from our farm as we live near the state forest, several riders came back with puppies on their saddles that were dumped off on the side of the road, heard stories of one more, so off we go in search, never found that one, poor thing.

sorry for the second post, but need to say something else, I live in the boonies, but one of my daughters lives at the end of the world, she lives in an area that is on the Potomac River and totally surrounded by forest. It is a prime dropping off area for unwanted pets, especially cats and kittens. She is also an animal loving person and has called several orgainzations for help finding homes for unwanted kittens. The shelters and animal humane sociaties tell her to bring them in and since they are a dime a dozen they will put them down. So much for that, now she rehabs the cast aways and finds them loveing homes.

I am wishing you luck and it sounds to me like those boys are lucky to have now met you. Poor things to be in their conditions!

Well, they are still here...
default_new_shocked.gif
I am feeding them, giving them water and have made two temporary shelters out in my horse driving training area. fenced in and safe for now... sigh. They stink to high heaven, need to find time to give them a bath. Their feet have terrible blisters, probably some road travel in their past. The lab is so skinny and he inhales the food. The bassett is fat, but still some neglect there, his nails are so long they almost curl into the foot pads. They are both so lame, poor babies.. When the bassett trusts me a bit I am going to try to trim his nails back. I think I am going to have to take them to the vet for some treatment and to get them checked out, they need something done for those feet. Right now, food water, and building some trust and the cool wet grass in the training area is making them feel better. I want them to trust me a bit before I haul them in my car. sigh. I really want to kick whoever turned these dogs out. I hope they are runaways and somebody will come and take them home, but my heart tells me they were dumped and are on the run. take care... will keep you posted. These guys have such a lost look in their eyes.
default_no.gif
Somebody broke their trust.

I hope they are runaways and somebody will come and take them home, but my heart tells me they were dumped and are on the run. take care... will keep you posted. These guys have such a lost look in their eyes. Somebody broke their trust.

This is so sad.

Yup, very sad. They are all wiggles and happy to see me today now wanting to trust somebody again I must have passed some sort of doggie test.... Dogs are something... they are so willing to make a friend and have so much to give.

I am feeding these guys several small meals a day and giving them water and shelter and getting them used to me so I will be able to handle them when I take them to the vet tomorrow or Monday to get them scanned for a micro chip. The skin on the lab already looks better on the good diet. Probably no chance they have a microchip when I go to the vet, but I will do the checking in case somebody is out there missing these guys. The lab looks to be young. Doesn't know any commands, not even sit.

My vet gave me some expensive spray to put on their feet to give them some relief from the pain on the blistered foot pads. When the pain is gone I will try to trim the nails on the basset. sigh poor baby. I will be looking locally to see if I can find somebody to help me foster them, I just can't stand to take them to the shelter, will try to find them a home if I can't find the owner. sigh. My husband thinks the basset is really cool.
default_new_shocked.gif
default_laugh.png

I think somebody is playing a trick on me somewhere. Do dogs put up signs on trees and say.. Hey, this lady will take you in and feed you... stop here. be happy. Boy am I wishing for a happy ending to this story...
default_wub.png

default_smile.png
I think dogs and a lot of other animals really can sense when a person is good and cares about them...
default_wub.png

Well, I took "Fred and Barney" to my vet today and no microchip in either one of them.
default_no.gif
Oh well, I was hoping. Tomorrow I will call the local shelter and see if I can get a cheap neuter on the pair of them. Nobody wants to foster an intact male dog. They are worth finding home for, very sweet but need training, sigh. Just what I needed. They eat like 10 dogs
default_new_shocked.gif

They can't live in my training area forever, I need to find somewhere for these guys to go soon.

wish me luck. Will start making calls tomorrow.

Adair

Thanks Jill, I needed that. It bums me out to leave them outside for now so I was beating myself up all day about it. It keeps raining and thunderstorms every day. I have a decent shelter and some tarps set up for them and I check on them frequently, but I am not the nature to leave a dog outside so it is driving me crazy with worry. I can't bring them in yet, too risky with my 5 dogs and they are intact males to boot. Going to call the shelter tomorrow to see if there is any bargain neuter program. Until they are checked out by a vet and checked for worms and vaccinated and neutered, outside they must stay. sigh.
default_no.gif
I can't can't stand some people. Dump the dogs on the local farm. The people should be neutered.
default_wacko.png
Shelters are full and these dogs are too nice not to have a home.

The dog's feet are starting to heal with the spray I got from my vet, but very slow process. I did trim the nails on the basset today, they were the longest nails I have ever seen on a dog. They were curling and tearing up the feet. I don't think the lab has demodex either, his coat is growing right back in now that he is on good food and less stress. Might have worn off all his hair going through weeds or something, he is looking better after only 4 days.

Stay tuned. Barney and Fred are looking for a break in life. Poor puppies, maybe I can get somebody to post their photos for me on here so you can see how cute they are.
default_wub.png
Adair.

You could get in contact with a breed rescue and they may offer some help or take them. You can look at the AKC site for a specific breed organization and then contact them. I don't know if all the breed clubs have rescues but might be worth the time to check.

Field of dreams I am in SE PA. Let me know if you know anybody local to me. I have friends that do rescue, just couldn't find a soul this weekend and started feeling lost by Sunday night, seemed everybody was away for the weekend.

I can probably foster the basset here once I get him vaccinated and checked out by my vet this week. I need someone to take the lab right now, he is young and needs more training than I have time for. The basset is a few years old.

I was planning to call a bunch of local breed rescue and other places today, I sat down last night to weigh options once my head stopped spinning and I got done feeling sorry for myself. Dog rescue, builds character..
default_aktion033.gif

Weekend options for calling people were limited. I train dogs and have a bunch of obedience friends. I was hoping somebody would want to take on the lab for a project puppy. He is typical adolesent intact male pup with his male parts driving his brain, but he is also smart and good looking and highly trainable. Nice size too, he is not a huge boy, compact. I can't believe how much better they both look after only a few days... The first photos I took of the lab he looked awful with the hair loss all over and his face having so much hair off around his eyes gave him a weird appearance. Second set of photos last night and they look really decent and I can use the photos to send to people. I also think getting some relief on the foot pads and somebody caring for them properly has allowed them to relax and have happy faces again, I think some awwwww how cute photos will help me get a quick foster
default_wink.png

I will post back and let you all know what I find out today when I get calling around. gotta run to work..

One of my many phone calls today may have paid off. I think I found a foster connection close to my house for the labrador retriever. wish me luck, sitting here waiting for her to call me back... will post when I know more...
default_wub.png

whooo hooo, I found an awesome foster home for the choc. lab. The foster is near by and super nice. He is all settled in and now I can focus on the other boy. The lab was so much calmer separated from the buddy he arrived with. I wonder if they really knew each other or if they met somewhere along the way. She said the lab will be neutered and vet checked and trained and then will be available for adoption.

The sweet foster lady might be able to help me with the other dog too.
default_aktion033.gif
Yeah. I am happy to get one of the boys settled in tonight somewhere that can give him more help. I have a vet appointment for the other boy next week.

Thanks to all who posted such nice words of encouragement and suggestions. I'll post when I know more, but for now, lab teenager is safe and happy in his new foster home
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back