i think my stallion is deaf

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ab_smf

Reaction score
the past two weeks i have to go get him to come up to eat. i did everything to get his attention. i call & yell out his name, whistle out to him, shake the feed bucket, and clap behind him. grandy thinks hes just not use to me yet and just wants to eat. but he follows me around, begs for loving(which he gets alot like all my furr kids),so i'm sure he is use to me. i plan on calling the vet soon if he keeps this up. he will only look up when i walk up infront of him or if i touch him. i'm worried,i like to see your guys opinion.

What color is he?
sorry for the wait. he was born as a bay overo now he darken to a black overo(also have blue eyes).

heres his photo:

806jay1ek7.jpg

here when i got him home.

hpim1840cn9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone please correct me if I am wrong as I am not an expert in this field and know just enough to be dangerous. LOL

In Overo and especially Splash Whites there is a higher possibility of deafness. Although hi color is not what I would call a typical "Splash White" he definitely has some characteristics.

Has this come on lately or is it something that has been a lingering suspicion of yours?

he looks very splash white to me. but i have been told that splash white deafness is an australian line of overo horses and that it was never proven in miniatures etc.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong as I am not an expert in this field and know just enough to be dangerous. LOL

In Overo and especially Splash Whites there is a higher possibility of deafness. Although hi color is not what I would call a typical "Splash White" he definitely has some characteristics.

Has this come on lately or is it something that has been a lingering suspicion of yours?
yes its been going on like this the past two weeks. it maybe me being a worring mom, and i'm so use to having my other minis come when i call them. but again i don't know the true signs of a deaf horse. i did what i thought that might be signs like yelling behing him and claping. he only moves his ears back than look at me when i touch him.

Kay Kay, there were 2 deaf Overo minis at AMHR Nationals that I know of.

If this horse is deaf because of the Overo gene than he would have been deaf from birth. It would not have come on later. It is possible that you never noticed it before.

Dont be over worried however, deaf horses get along very well for themselves.

Sorry, kaykay, that sounded kind of rude and I did not mean it that way at all.

that helps. now my 2nd question. my pa and i where planing on using him to stud out between next spring and late summer. would he past it on to his offspring or is it a 50/50 chance?

If he is moveing his ears back when you are behind him makeing nose he hears you. If he didnt he would have no reaction at all.

Splash White and deafness are linked.

No other "overo" type is affected, only Splash.

The Millard line in Oz were/are all deaf but none were Minis all QH type paints/pintos.

I have known of at least one Splash Mini that is deaf- known personally as opposed to heard of.

http://www.equinecolor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1217

Take a look.

Here is a picture of my gelding he is deaf. Looks like your stallion.

We named him "Show me a Sign" aka "Rocky"

Preacher1.jpg

You say he doesnt pick his head up or come because he just wants to eat? Ummmm. well, I probably wouldnt either. I would put him in a dry lot or somewhere else and observe his behavior. Tie him in the barn for a while- does he respond to other horses whinnying for him?

I have white cats (there are actually four different varieties of white!) and some carry the deaf gene. I was always told that a rule of thumb was if the cat was white with two blue eyes, they will always be deaf. NOT SO!! I have three that are not!

I would put him in a different situation and see how he responds. With the white kittens, we do the 'vacuum cleaner test'- IF there are any white ones left in the room, I can guarantee you they are deaf. But I wouldnt suppose that would work on your stallion, LOL

Edited to note: If he is moving his ears, that is NOT indicating he is not deaf. My deaf cat moves her ears too, and my daughter has one (who is one heck of a mouser) and he moves his ears too. It is just instinct and a natural reaction to do so.... but they are both stone deaf. Sometimes they even turn around quickly like they heard something, but they did not- it is a reaction to a vibration, smell, air current or something. My deaf cat comes to greet me when I get home. She meets me at the door but I have no idea HOW she knows when I get home, as it is never on a schedule- perhaps she smells the truck pull in?? Haven't figured that out yet.

Depending on how you cross him may depend on whether the deafness is passed on or not??

I do not want to be controversial, this is just my opinion, BUT I would NEVER breed a deaf stallion.

50% chance of carrying it on to the foal- go and look at the Colour Forum link I put up and talk to the person with the Pintos- Danger Ranch- she gelded a really, REALLY nice colt because he was deaf.

If the percentage is that high Rabbit, then I agree with you absolutely in NOT breeding a horse that is deaf. I thought perhaps it was because of the genetic makeup of that particular horse and the pinto 'pattern' that it is carrying, etc..... that would make the offspring deaf too if they repeated that.

And wow, yes, he certainly does look like that other gelding posted here!!!

whoa! well i talked to his past owner and said that hes not deaf! she said he acts like this when she got him. and i guess my grandy was right in a sense that i'm not use to him yet. plus my head wasn't with me the past week. and my grandpa was in a car crash yesterday and i had a pinic attack. so my day is getting better.

The past owner of the mare I had experience with said she was not deaf, too!!

You can get his hearing tested- get in touch with the Dalmatian Society- they do it here and I am sure they would be glad to help you.

I do not want to contribute to another panic attack but, if you think he is deaf, the chances are he is deaf.

Ok, I wasnt going to jump in to this, but I know he is not deaf, I owned him for 2 years before I sold him to ab_smf. I would defineately not sell a deaf horse to someone that didnt know it. She said he has only been acting like this in the last 2 weeks, he was fine when he left my home about a month ago. He is very "tempermental" and he would sometimes do this to us, if he was interested in something else such as pasture, he would rather eat the plush stuff than grain....He is one that when it was time for shots and vaccines, after you gave them to him, he would hold a grudge for a few days, thats what I mean about tempermental. He also has had 1 colt with one of my mares and he was not deaf either.... In the winter when it is still dark in the morning, when I would go out to feed, he would hear the creaking of our storm door and was the 1st to be whinnying for food. I just know he's not deaf, I dont know if he could have went deaf in the last month, but he wasnt when he left here. I felt really bad when I first read this post, and I didnt want to join in, but I thought I better.

This is what drives me crazy. Everyone thinks that almost every splash horse is deaf and its simply not true. If you read about splash overos you will see that everything says "could be" "may be linked" etc. No one has truly been able to isolate it. Now i do think there are some splash horses that are deaf. But I dont think its nearly as rampant as people would lead you to believe. And I have been told that it is very hard to accurately test a horses hearing.

My horses feel so secure in their setting that I can walk up on any of them while they are sleeping and they just lay there. For some this means a horse is deaf. For me it means they are pretty darn secure lol. In fact my neighbor was out shooting behind us yesterday with a very loud gun. Every horse in my pasture continued eating and didnt even flinch. But they are not deaf.

No Kay I do not think anyone was suggesting that every Splash horse is deaf- in fact very few Splash Minis are deaf but there is a definite link between Splash and deafness.

If we are to keep the numbers of Splash Minis low then the obvious way to go about it is to not breed from any that are proven to be.

As I have said many times we can only answer on the information given to us, since Minipenny has stated the horse is not deaf I am happy to accept that.

well i suspect if she had posted a picture of a solid horse not near as many would have thought he was deaf :bgrin

in fact very few Splash Minis are deaf (quote from rabbit)

but see very few will remember that tiny typed line. what they will remember is that they read that miniatures that carry splash can be deaf

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back