I think I may need prayers now...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with those that are saying get a Dr. now. Don't most insurance providers cover emergency visits? If the Dr's in your area are like my area, you might wait months to get a general appointment. This is something that needs to be looked at now. What about an urgent care clinic? Let us know how you are doing and take care of yourself.

Just wondering if you made an appointment today - don't wait!

Barbie

I agree with Sonya, sounds like ulcerative colitis (ulcers in the colon)

Having a friend just this past year go through these exact same symptoms, going to the doctors several times and then finally having the colonoscopy done, and seeing the pain/fear she went through, you definitely need to go to the doctor NOW..

She had all the symptoms you described and finally got to the point where she could hardly keep any food down.. She lost a lot of weight too and she's got the body type that she can't afford to lose much.. Doctors have her on meds but occasionally they don't help and she's back to throwing up
default_sad.png

I have a Dr's appointment tomorrow at 2:00, so we will see what happens.

I will create an updates post. No worries.

I have been feeling a lot better though, so thats a plus.

Glad you have been feeling better..Hopefully the drs appt will tell you something...

I was pretty sick for a while so I have an idea of what you are going though -- scary to not know what it is but at the same time scary to know what it might be (or at least that is how I felt)... But I know if I had pressed my drs harder when it started out I wouldnt have been sick near as long as I was -- they just kept passing it off as nothing because they werent doing the right tests (not really there fault I guess since we didnt know what we were looking for...) But if we had did one test 3 years earlier I would have been sick ALOT less... But now I look back and I think I am just glad to be healthier
default_smile.png

Okay, I'm a nurse practitioner in a GI department and you need to be seen!

Your symptoms can include a variety of disorders already discussed by others, but include: inflammatory bowel disease-Crohns or ulcerative colitis, lactose intolerance (not just milk and milk products involved), celiac sprue-intolerance to wheat, and many other small bowel disorders, as well as irritable bowel syndrome and pancreatic insufficiency to name just a few!

A variety of tests would help decipher your problem, breath test rules out lactose intolerance, blood tests rule out celiac disease and look for antibodies for IBD and a colonoscopy with biopsies can help confirm inflammation. A small bowel xray is useful in determining a variety of small bowel pathologies--all that can cause diarrhea.

Once a cause if found-people do very well with medication and dietary changes depending on the diagnosis.

Don't let yourself be embarrassed about the symptoms you are having, go in and talk to a GI person so you can get on with your life in a better circumstance!

Okay, I'll go back to work now and stop lecturing--lol--hope your appointment goes well.

default_biggrin.png

Well I was going to start a new post, but I will start that one when I know more.

Went to the doctor today, and he doesn't know. Turns out I also have abdominal pain in places I never knew. Including up by my ribs...

So they tried to draw blood, did it 3 times, and couldn't get any. So I went to the lab at the hospital where I got stuck with needles 3 more times, and to say the least I am not a very happy camper.

I also have to supply them with several stool samples that I am not looking forward too
default_wacko.png

If my bloodwork comes back normal, I next go to a GI for further tests.

Fun stuff...

Doug never had to do the samples...from what I hear, they are a major pain! Make sure you do everything they say.

With Doug's ulcerative colitis he also had abdominal pain...really bad. Not just cramps, but pain.

Will be thinking about you, take care of yourself!

I have UC, was diagnosed two years ago. When it was active, it was not fun, I also had pain in my side and by my ribs. The first year I was on lots of meds, Asacol is the main one. They worked great. It is controlable with good diet and really knowing your body. I do not take anything now, watch what I eat (there are some fruits and veggies I cannot eat) and make sure I take good vitamins and have enough fiber.

I am glad you went to the doctors, keep us updated on how you are doing.

Well your colon is about as long as you are tall and so upper abdominal pain under ribs certainly can occur. You also have 20 feet of small bowel that can get inflamed and irritated and that pain can be anywhere in the abdomen as well, but usually people describe it around their belly button.

So sorry to hear they had issues with blood draw. That would have been helpful to get going.

And stool studies are never fun, but do the best you can at following the directions so once is enough!

You may have a colonoscopy recommended--all sound embarrassing and time consuming, but the diagnosis and treatment in the end will help..hang in there.

And follow a very low roughage diet in the meantime-refrain from nuts, seeds, hulls, coarse roughage like fresh fruits and vegetables--cooked and canned are fine. It is considered the standard diet for ulcerative colitis or crohns, with a flare up. And as others have said, once it settles down with medicine and time-the diet can be adjusted.

It would be helpful to GI to keep some type of diary with days when it is worse-what you ate the 12 hours before, etc. Any information may help key in on the correct problem.

default_wink.png

LOL oh gosh the dreaded samples
default_biggrin.png
When they couldn't figure out what was wrong with me for that year I had to do two or three stool samples for them
default_no.gif
It was NOT pleasant lol
default_smileypuke.gif
You never really want to turn around and look after you have done your deed. It's always better just to flush and leave lol
default_yes.gif
Good luck and hopefully all the tests will shed some light on what is up with you....hopefully sooner than later
default_biggrin.png
Just be happy that they haven't said you need a barium enima
default_wacko.png
That was the worst test I got. Not too painful but VERY uncomfortable. I sure hope it's nothing serious

I am so glad you went!! Please keep us updated with your results of what they find, or dont find. There is some good advice here on some fairly quick tests that can rule out or confirm some things...

Hope it is simple and the problem is found quickly so you can get on the mend!!

Latest posts

Back