I think I may be a little crazy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birdmomjb

Reaction score
Well today I took the plunge. After looking at wind generators(sp?) for several years I have purchased one for the barn. :new_shocked:

I live in a wind power area of 0 most wind mills require a 3 or higher to produce power but over the last several years that has been changing with some mills working in lower classes.

I found a small wind mill with solar back up for arround $500 and it has a 90 day money back if it does not work for your application. It starts making power at wind speeds of only 3 mph. Every thing you need is included inverter pole line and battery pack. if it works it will pay for its self in under 10 months. :aktion033:

I have been looking for a way to provide lights to my barn with out having the power co run a new line which would cost $$$$$ and add another bill to my overflowing pile as the barn woudl be at a business rate with a high monthly fee.

I'm looking forward to finding if this will work for me. If it does then we might look into several to suppliment some of the house power.

I can see it now little wind mills all over the farm and by by power co. :aktion033: :lol: :bgrin

I think it is a very fitting idea to use a natural source of power for your horse barn. I hope that it works well for you as it sure would save in the long run! Best wishes with it!

Let us know how it works out. I have wind most of the time, in fact one of my friends always complains. So, it could be a great idea here! :lol: Out west they have fields of these "odd" looking ones that generate power for companies.

I could sure use one if it generates enough.
default_yes.gif
:

Where did this one come from? They have a website with info?

Please let us know how it works out!

We live in an area that almost constantly has a breeze. I think it would be a great idea!

MA

Do you have a website or anything for them? I would love to find out more information. Where I live it is always windy, lately a very hot wind, but still a wind.

I would really like to know how this works out. My husband and I have talked about it on occasion but haven't yet pursued it further.

Please try to let us know how it goes, setting it up and getting it started. I would love to give something like this a try!

Anne

Thanks for you support I was feeling kind of foolish going against the norm as far as trying to use wind power in this area. I have seen where some people have tried to use the bigger mills and failed.

I am really hoping that this small one will work for me. It only produces 300 watts max but when you are only using it for lights and fans it could work.

The web site for this company is wind mill I hope this link works I've never tried to link before.

It should be here next week and I hope to have it up and running next weekend.

I'll let you know how it works.

Jan

Wow - how interesting - please let us know how well it works for you.

When I read your initial post - I was picturing the big wind turbines and wondering how you were able to do this so cheaply and without variances -- there are so many people PROTESTING about windmills these days.

Then when I saw the post for the link and saw it was TINY -- I am wondering how useful it will be.

I like the concept of using windpower -- and would consider something like this - but am chicken to be "first"

Again - please let us know how satisfied you are with the output.

Congrats for being a leading edge innovator!

JJay

Bluerocket, I live so far back in the woods that there is not zoning at all. So I could put up a big tower if I wanted the nearest neighbor south of me is 4 miles down the road. the big towere are the ones that I have seen that will not work in our wind area.

I am looking forward to trying to run a small airconditioner with it just to see if it would work. If so I would like to purchase a couple more to aircondition the house and save the $$$$$ that our central unit is costing.

Last month our bill was up over $100 due to the air. It would not take long to pay for a couple of mills saving that much per month during the hot weather.

Another thing we will try is to use it to run a small room heater, propane is up to $2.91 a gal here if it would save even 1/2 gal a day once again it would add to our savings.

Any money saved on utilities is money I can spend on the horses and we all know what I would rather spend my money on. :lol:

How big is your barn? I described your situation to Larry (hubby) and he said all it (300 watts) may do is power about three lighbulbs for you........Not sure if that's what you want to hear........
default_sad.png

MA

Let us all know how it works for you.

Never hurts to try something new :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

MA, My barn is 40x60 I light it with 6 150watt output energy saving bulbs which only use 26watts each. (on a long extension cord which I dont feel is safe.) The 300 watts that the generator produces goes into a battery pack for use when you need it. The inverter for this pack is 700 watts and you can add a larger inverter and more batteries as needed.

Another option is to add an additional 6 solar panels for each wind mill. As I dont use the lights all day and only use a small night light (so I can find the switch and not a snake :new_shocked: ) at night otlher when feeding or grooming the wind mill should make enough power each day to keep up with my late night usage.

I started with the smallest unit as a base and will add or send the whole thing back when I get to playing with it and see what it will do in my area.

Jan

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow..... :new_shocked: From what you describe, it just may work for you......Please let us know!

MA

Latest posts

Back