I need some help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VernB

Reaction score
Last wendesday I noticed my mini filly was lying down and acting strange. I rushed her to the vet and he gave her a shot to reileve the pain, and put oil down her. She seemed calm and happy and I took her home. She started eating and drinking. The next morning I noticed her laying down again. I called the vet and he had me give her another shot and some enemas. still nothing her poor belly is just huge!!!!!!! We can't give her anything in her stmach or she'll just bloat more. today she is still the same and hasn't ran anything through at all, just a little bit of foamy looking stuff and not much of that either. I lost one of my stallions on the 29 of December from this same thing. I am starting to wonder if it is really colic I've never dealt with colic like this before. The vet said he hasn't seen colic like this either. After my stallion died I put my filly in his corral thinking because it was just colic he died from, that nothing would spread. within 5 days after I put my filly in his pen she came down with the same colic symptoms as him. He didn't last as long as her because the vet put way more down him and he bloated or something. His belly was so big that if he layed down he couln't get up. I'm lost everything weve done just doesn't seem to help. she's held on this long and I don't know how much longer she can hold on with no food and a fat tummy.

I know that horses with worms get bloated tummies. have you notices anything in her poop. maybe you should look up some info on the internet or in horse books you might have and see if anything matches up.

I'm so sorry to hear this for you. I hope that you get answers and results quickly. I don't have a clue what it could be. I hope you did take her out of his pen though and have her quarentened in a different pen. I do hope someone can help you. They are a great bunch of people here.

~Karen

I'd suggest that you have the vet help her IMMEDIATELY. She could rupture if the bloating isn't controlled.

Sorry to hear of this problem but, it sounds extremely serious to me..................

Please keep us updated.

I agree with Bess. Colic isn't a "wait and see" situation, as it is the number one cause of death of horses. :eek: Your mare could have a very bad blockage, or a twisted gut, or any number of things.

She may need surgery, but your vet is going to have to do more than give her pain reliever and oil, she's beyond that now it sounds like. Good luck!

I can't imagine it being worms, I've had her on a worming program since she was 3 months. I have her away from the others. I'm going to have to find another vet because he has done what he can and he doesn't do surgery.

the bloating usually means an impaction and time is of the essence. in order to do surgery you have to go asap. if you wait and the horse's vitals signs start to go bad they cant do surgery. Also if you wait too long parts of the intestine start to die off. Im so sorry and i know what your going thru as i just had surgery on one a month ago. she really needs to go to the nearest equine center asap. Sending prayers!

It sounds like you are dealing with an impaction that could/might end up with a Rupture. the bloating is usually from impaction

I would guess if she has twisted already she would be VERY painful . Sometimes when caught early on not just oil but IV fluids can really make all the difference.

If surgery is not an option then you might want to decide if fluids is even helpful or if it would be best to put her down.

I hate to sound so doom and gloom but she really needs to get medical attention right away.

Vern if your horse is that bloated it could be an impaction caused by a fecolith or entrolith. It could be something else, but that would be my suspicion.

I've had minir blockages (oil & trailer rides have improved those), bloaty gas colics, and eating something bad colic - the impaction from a fecolith the bloating just got progressively worse with no improvement.

We had our first colic surgery from an impaction (fecolith) before Thanksgiving. Our stallion looked like he had swallowed a beach ball. He was very bloated, but was treated for gas and an impaction before we took him into surgery. This meant IV fluids, oil and banamine for pain. He was also given an alternative product for gas to help with that. We were keeping him hydrated enough he was still peeing too - just no poop.

As his vital signs were still good, we chose to have him taken to an equine hospital for 24 hour observation and ulimately surgery.

Our vet basically said if we waited to long 36-48 hours longer (we'd been working on him for 24-36 hours already and he wasn't improving he could twist inside, block badly, rupture or a number of other things - basically if his vitals started going bad (heart rate, capillary refill, temperature) then we'd have a much reduced chance of recovery.

This isn't something to mess around with, I would get your horse to a vet or equine hospital. They can xray or sonogram for a blockage too.

Hi Vern, been a long time.

First you need to seek out another vet right now that can give you a diagnosis.

Sounds like gas colic, but hey, we are not there and we aren't vets.

Could also be worms, don't kid yourself on that one. Bellys can get really big.

Can also be ulcers, and again the belly will get big.

Hope you can get a vet that is on track enough to find out what in fact is going on there and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Sounds just like Tweets symptoms she blew up like a balloon too. It was NOT an impaction colic. 35cc of kaolin or 1/4 cup, NOT kaopectacte, Kaolin available at Tractor Supply Co. You can give this every 2 hours if needed. My mare is 250# 32" tall.

Colic is not contagious he has had 1 horse die from the SAME symptoms, he put this horse in the same pen as the horse that died. I think this bug is picked up by manure.

If Tweet would have been left by herself before I found the Kaolin (when she was on banamine) the minute that stuff wore off she was down and rolling, which I think could have led to her twisting a gut.

Vern if this stuff works you will see a BIG improvement in 20-25 minutes. PLEASE TRY IT. It worked miracles for Tweet and the other 3 in my barn. BANGING AGAIN ON WOOD HARD we have been symptom free for almost 3 weeks now, and Tryst was bucking and kicking this morning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back