I need some advice!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbara Havins

Reaction score
I have two minis a gelding and a mare that I bought on AMHA applications a while ago. I got all the paper work done and sent it to AMHA. All the horses need was to have the sire of the gelding and the dam of the mare to be DNA tested. The lady I got the horses from still have the horses that needed DNA tested. I payed to get DNA kits for the lady. ALL she needs to do is pull the hair samples and send them in for DNA. But I have been waiting a long while to get it. The AMHA has actually sent out two kits to her for them them and she still has not got it done. I have contacted her by email and I even sent her a letter through the mail and still nothing.

DOES ANYONE GOT ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT I SHOULD DO OR COULD DO TO TRY TO GET HER TO SEND IN THE DNA KITS.

The AMHA actually has the stallions papers that she is to pull the DNA on because they are holding it for parent qualification on it. That is the horse that she owns the father of my gelding. You think she would want her papers. I also have the AMHR paper on that stallion that she owns because I updated his AMHR papers for her and the AMHR sent them back to me instead of her.

I told her that I have his AMHR papers and I told her as soon as I get the DNA done and get my horses papers I would send the AMHR papers too her.

But that didnt do any thing.

All I guess I could do is drive the 5 hours to her place in person and have the DNA's pulled. I wondered if the AMHA would send a copy of the kit to me. I would hate to drive down there and then she say she cannot find the kits. That way I could pull them and then give her the AMHR papers and then I would be done with her and have my papers.

GRRRR.

I would call her first. Calling always seems to be the best way to get the ball rolling. If that still doesn't work, I would ask her if you could stop by and do it yourself. You're paying for everything and doing all of the work-I can't imagine why she'd object unless there is something else going on. Maybe if you tell her you need the papers ASAP so you will drive to her place and get it done she'll do it herself. I would just call the AMHA office to see if they'll send you the DNA "kit". It's really just a piece of paper, unless they've changed it recently.

That would probably be your best bet--ask if you can get kits sent to you and then you drive down & pull the hair yourself and send the kits in. I don't suppose you know anyone in her immediate area that would be willing to go over & pull the hair for you, so that you don't have to drive the 5 hours to do it?

It's really a shame that the lady cannot be bothered to do such a simple little thing to allow you to get your papers. This sort of thing is the reason I won't buy on application.

Obviously registration papers don't mean much to her since she isn't concerned about getting her AMHR papers from you.

Let AMHA know you paid for the kit in the first place and if they will send it to you, they can do it by email. If you bought these horses with the promise of AMHA papers, I would send her a certified letter letting her know you will take legal action if she doesn't resolve this. You don't need a lawyer to do this but that would give you the first step in case she doesn't comply. I would also send her AMHR papers to her ASAP, you can't hold her papers hostage and if you should have to go the legal route, she could claim you wouldn't give her the papers so she wouldn't pull the hair. Just be very polite in your letter and explain what is expected to make the deal complete and what will happen is she doesn't keep her end of the deal. You paid for registered horses, you shouldn't have to make a job of getting the papers.

Thanks everyone for the advise. I think I will send a certified letter then I know she gets it and I will send the papers with it.. That way I know she gets it and it doesnt get lost in the mail. I am going to make a copy of the papers so if I need any of the info off of them for any reason. I think I will call the AMHA to see if they will send me a copy of the kits, so if I get down to her area I can go by and maybe catch her and get it done. I know her mom is there a lot a she is on the papers too so at least if I fiind her she can do it for me too.

Try giving her a call first. You don't know what's going on and it's easy for people to ignore mail and email. For all you know she's dealing with a tragedy or something. Give her the benefit of a polite phone call first before sending threatening letters or showing up at her place intending to pull hair from her horses. Some people just need that human contact of a telephone call to get the ball rolling. I once tracked down someone by phone after weeks of ignored emails regarding a refund situation and had my $500 back in two minutes via Paypal once I got the guy on the phone. I was almost sickeningly sweet to him on the phone and that did the trick, like the saying "you catch more flies with honey..."

I would call her first- and then go ahead and send a letter if you dont get satisfaction. Something sure isn't right here! I agree that if you have to go so far as to send her a letter, it would tell her you will take legal action- and I would tell her that you purchased the horses as 'registerable'. If they are not you want a full refund, in addition to the gas and time to take them back, and the feed bill since you have had them!

People like this are just ridiculous........... I hope for her sake that there isn't a serious problem or anything, but she could at least respond and let you know if there was!!

Latest posts

Back