I miss him so much

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hesitated to respond to this thread. My husband also is retired military and it is not easy for family. I remember the fears that I confronted especially in the first years of our marriage...and many that we as a family faced for 26 years. When we first were married, he was in the "If the Navy had wanted you to have a wife, they would have issued your one" era. Wives were really looked upon by the military as baggage. It is only through the years that the wives banded together to get the support that military families need. They now have emotional support through wives groups with each command (they love meeting Moms and Dads and Grandparents too....many of the wives know the single guys through their husbands. Military families look out for each other; they are family.); they have ombudsmen (I was one for a year) that go between the command and families and bring up issues, mostily personal and on a one to one basis, that need to be addressed; they have many financial support programs, etc. There is support there. Talk with Kenny and find out before he goes overseas what family group you can stay in contact with and the phone number of the Ombudsman for his command. They will be of enormous help to you.

It is hard for anyone when their children go out into the world and leave home. It is especially hard when they go into the military. But servicemen do look out for each other. The bonds that he is forming with others in his service will stay strong the rest of his life. It is important for you to do as you are doing and support him in what he has committed, at least, this part of his life to. He is a member of a very special group of young heroes.

(((Hugs))) to you and your young man, Kenny.

To your son and his unit as well as all persons serving in the military, my husband and I send our prayers and thanks.

We have a grandson, that we raised, who has been in the Marine Corps reserves for four years he is going active duty October 15. His sister was in the AF and is out now; but married to a Captain in the AF.

We have two other gransons who were in the Army. One was at West Point but left this summer, he decided Army life wasn't for him.

The other was 82nd Airborne/Ranger. He loved his job and now regrets leaving after being in for 6 years. He went into Iraq through Afganistan.

All we can hope for with our children is that they grow up to be healthy and happy. Judging from the picture you posted he looks to be both. You have a raised a young man you can be proud of. As parents once they leave the nest and go out on their own we have virtually no control on their actions, his actions are noble. Be proud and enjoy him when you can.

Kay, I think you're right. My nephew is at Fort Gordan. Ask your son if he knows Michael Carlson. He's my younger sister Holly's son. We all love and miss him and are so proud but very scared. Let's pray their angels protect them and keep them safe.
default_pray.gif

Kay, I only wish I had the words to help you. I can also hear the sadness in your post. I know when my son moved to Texas for a few months the empty feeling I felt so I CAN'T IMAGINE what you must be going through. I think a Journal, or posting here on the forum, and some other great ideas on this thread will help you. I think sometimes as hard as it is to let the fears and sadness out - after it is done you normally feel much better.

Please know even thought I have never been in your shoes you can also call me 24 hours a day any day of the week. If you ever need my phone number please PM or e-mail me. I will try to help in any way I can.

You, Kenny, and your family will be in my prayers. I do not know your beliefs or anyone else's on the forum. I do feel like I need to say this though. I did not know for years, but when my mother goes through some of her toughest times. She has had them, believe me. She sleeps with her bible under her pillow. Maybe that would help you.

Now, to Kenny he is a HANDSOME young man. I am sure you are extremely proud of him as you should be. Try to always remember people like me and others on the forum and elsewhere are EXTREMELY PROUD of him also. Without BRAVE men and women like him ( I am sure you see him as a boy- my son is 23 and I still do) where would this country be? It would be horrible, we would not have our freedom, our safety, etc.

To Kenny and all the ones on the forum that have posted about their family members I am more grateful ( I can speak for my family on this also) for these men and women then words can describe.

I wish I could do more to ease your pain. When Kenny gets home give him a hug from the Foster family and let him know we are SO PROUD OF HIM!

Kay,

As a mother I can imagine the aching of your heart and the worry.......and the helpless feelings.......You've spent years watching over him and protecting him as he grew up, and now he's grown UP! And the possibilities of where he is to continue with his career are probably very scary.

Blessings......

PS: Please tell him there are a lot of people in cyberland that highly respect him for the career he's pursuing.

You all are the best. I did start a Journal today and I only wish now I had started a year ago when he went to boot camp. It really did help just writing about it. And it helps so much hearing all of your stories. I think I will print this out and show it to him when he comes home. I hope he calls soon.
default_wub.png

Sample I will ask kenny about micheal!

For everyone that posted with family or served themselves thank you from my heart for your service!

THANK YOU! You and your family are what makes it possible for me to have the life I have. I do not doubt that this comes with pain, worry and heartache. But, please know that all of our soldiers actions are not forgotten nor those sacrifices made by their families.

My son is on the bomb squad in Iraq. I wrote a post similar to yours when my son first went active duty. I think of my son every hour of every day.

Some things to know if he is shipping out to overseas. There may be an extended period of time before he can contact you at all. DON"T WORRY! He will get ahold of you as soon as he can. It may be by email, that seems to be the way my son finds it easiest to communicate. When he was in his home station of Guam, we often used instant messaging on the computer to talk. Phones are difficult...they are satellite phones out in the field, and there is a delay when you talk. You will be overjoyed when you can hear his voice! He will probably not be able to tell you much about what he is doing, or when they are moving around (troop movements). When he is at his "home base," things will be easier and better. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
default_saludando.gif

Be proud of your young man, he is a special one to volunteer for this duty. I am former USAF, as is my husband. It was the best move I ever made in my life, and directly led to everything good in my life to follow. I hope your son can say the same when he is finished with his duty.
default_smile.png

Think POSITIVE kaykay he would not want you to worry.

Do something joyful in his honor everyday.

Keeping a journal is a great thing to do - I have one and it does help when your heart is hurting. I pray for Kenny and all our service men and women. What a great looking boy you have there Kay! You should be VERY proud of him. November is almost here!
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back