I LOVE CHILI!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinity_Acres

Reaction score
[SIZE=10pt]It's downright cold here and so I made a big pot of chili. Mmmm Mmmm good. I thought we could share our favorite chili recipes. Especially you Texans!!
default_wink.png
: [/SIZE]

My chili is very simple (I got it from my M.I.L):

Hamburger and onions browned and drained.

Add one big can (2 small) of diced tomatoes

Add one 40 oz. can of Brooks Chili beans

and a 12 oz can of V8. Let simmer. We serve ours over mashed potatoes. Yummy!!

By the way, mine is not hot...hubby don't like spicy. I love spicy!
default_sad.png

So come on....let's see those secret recipes !! This could be lots of fun. :bgrin

I don't have a good homemade recipe, but I did have a small tip. Hubby used to work for Tyson Foods and brought home cases of ground chicken a few years ago. The best chili that I ever made was with the ground chicken. It seems to hold in the flavor a lot better than ground beef.

The only thing I add that you don't have is kidney beans & chili powder, we always put both kidney and chili beans, it is really good that way, but lord help you the next morning!LOL :new_rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
My chili is a hair on the soupy side, but it thickens for the next day. Plus, we usually serve it over macaroni.

Brown about 1 1/2 pound of hamburger

Add at least one sliced onion and green pepper and a jalapeno if you like

cook until veggies are starting to get tender

Add:

3 cans kidney beans, undrained (the 'juice' is wonderful soluble fiber)

3 cans diced tomatoes, undrained

1 package taco seasoning mix

chili powder to taste (I'm guessing I put it maybe 3 tablespoons)

pepper and salt to taste (be careful because the taco seasoning mix is heavy on salt)

about 2 tablespoons brown sugar

Simmer until all the flavors meld and veggies get soft. Of course this gets better the next day and the next day.

Hmmm...I haven't made this in a while. Looks like a chili weekend coming up!

Jayne

I have worked at perfecting my chili.....I get compliments and I work hard at making it so I will share my secrets...

3 lbs of ground round or ground chuck.

1 large onion---grated like your cole slaw grater.....just grate it right up. (cooking the onion releases the natural sugar in the onion so don't add the brown sugar until you tasted it after mixing other ingredients)

half of a green pepper or whatever I happen to have in the frig

Brown all this together.

Add 3 cans of beans of your choice: l kidney; 1 pinto; 1 northern or white beans (tastes the same but adds

color interest)

1 or 2 cans of diced tomatoes WITH green chilis

Chili powder....

calentro....

2 tablespoons mustard. (just plain old yellow mustard)

1/3 to 1/2 cup ketchup

2 T. brown sugar

if I have some celery available I will dice this up very small.--if not use celery salt

and some garlic. A nice big spoonful if using the real stuff -- or garlic powder.

of course, salt and pepper to taste......

Big can of mushroon stems and pieces--rough chopped to make uniform size...we love mushroons in chili and a large can or bottle of Campbell's tomato juice.

I drain the beans....not sure why but I do. I do not drain my meat.

So in my giant pot I add everything and let it simmer for a couple of hours. I have cheese and sour cream and cayene pepper available for serving. I like my chili with flavor but not hot....my husband likes his HOT.

If it is a little too spicy from the green chilis in the tomato sauce on the second day I just serve it over rice.

For some reason the rice seems to mellow the hotness of the chilis. My grandsons like chili and rice.

If it gets too thick I always add more tomatoe juice not water.

Hope this sounds good to you...we love it.

Steph, I never thot about adding ground chicken. That would be healthier.

I didn't even think about adding Taco seasoning. That sounds good too.

Sometimes I add Chili powder too or garlic salt. I think I'm goin' to Jaynes this weekend!!
default_wink.png
:

LG...your recipe sounds really really good!! I can't wait to try some of these! Something about a nice hot bowl of chili can warm ya up on the coldest of days. :cold:

Where are those Texas recipes?? :lol: <gotta luv that smilie!

I use my mom's recipe and is really the only chili I like, it's very basic.

1# browned ground beef (with onions, I don't use onions, as I just don't keep them on hand).

1 can sliced mushrooms (juice and all)

2 cans diced tomatoes

1 can kidney beans (juice and all)

1 package chili seasoning (I usually use McCormick mild)

I usually cook it in the crock pot, as I can just throw it all together and let it simmer; but have made it on the stove top.

Your chili receipe is very much like mine except I use the Kuner chili beans. I Love the addition of the V-8 juice and sometimes I like to add some green pepper to the meat while cooking it. A small can of mild green chiles is also good. Hubby likes chili and cornbread together. Never have tried the macaroni or mashed spuds...interesting to see how different parts of the country fix meals differently. Mary

[SIZE=10pt]It's downright cold here and so I made a big pot of chili. Mmmm Mmmm good. I thought we could share our favorite chili recipes. Especially you Texans!!
default_wink.png
: [/SIZE]

My chili is very simple (I got it from my M.I.L):

Hamburger and onions browned and drained.

Add one big can (2 small) of diced tomatoes

Add one 40 oz. can of Brooks Chili beans

and a 12 oz can of V8. Let simmer. We serve ours over mashed potatoes. Yummy!!

By the way, mine is not hot...hubby don't like spicy. I love spicy!
default_sad.png

So come on....let's see those secret recipes !! This could be lots of fun. :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt]HERE'S MY FAVORITE RECIPE[/SIZE]

[SIZE=18pt]WENDY'S !!![/SIZE]

I like to use bush's baked beans because I don't like "hard" or "big" beans.

We brown the ground beef, add an envelope of chilli seasoning, a few cans of chilli style tomatoes, the bush's beans, and a jar of taco sauce.

It is really good!

cooking1.gif

Oh that's funny I just made my special homemade chili with beans last night served over white rice and corn muffins with butter! YUM!
default_eat.gif
:

Here's what I do. I use a can of pink beans (they have more flavor and not as watery as kidney beans), 2 small cans of tomato sauce, 1 lb. of ground beef (lean), frozen corn to your liking, 1 big chopped onion, cilantro, salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, & ground cumin.

Brown the ground meat along with the onions. Then plop everything else in there and let it cook for a spell! :aktion033:

Ha! We had chili last night also.

1 lb ground cooked beef that was cooked with

1 medium onion and

1 small green pepper diced

4 heaping tablespoons of chili powder

1 tsp cayenne pepper

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp paprika

1 can of light kidney beans

1 can of dark kidney beans

2 cans of stewed tomatoes.

About a half of a can of tomatoe juice

salt and pepper

Mix it all up and Viola! I have to add lots of Ritz crackers to my bowl. Mmmmmmmmmm Mmmmmmm!

Now tonight I will take the left over chili and add spaghetti noodles to it for an easy supper. YUMMY!

Fran

All this talk of chili has me hungry for it, so I guess I know what's for supper tonight. He have a whole beef worth of hamburger in the freezer, seasoning and canned goods in the cupboard; so I'm all set.
default_smile.png

I don't know if I have a recipe exactly... I use ground beef, oinion, green peppers and sometimes celery. Add a couple of big cans of diced tomatoes, a couple of cans of sliced mushrooms and some tomato paste (1 small can) and water to taste. Add salt, chilli powder and ground chillis. I use chick peas instead of beans, I like the flavor and it doesn't make me as gassy. It looks great too, bright red sauce, vibrent peppers and yellow chick peas... I call it "sunny chilli". My recipe usually mkaes a HUGE pot ( I use my largest turkey roaster)

[SIZE=12pt]I've learned so much reading this thread. I never knew that people served chili over macaroni or mashed potatoes or rice. That sounds really good and would only make the meal hardier!
default_yes.gif
:
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]When I was younger and went to Six Flags over Georgia, they served chili a unique way and I loved it. They would use the single serving bags of Fritos. Open the bag, pour in a scoop of chili, add some raw onions chopped, shredded cheese and top it off with a spoonful of sour cream. I still eat it like this today but I use a bowl and add some jalapenos too! Yummmm...[/SIZE]

Ok...my silly question time.... What are pink beans?

I love beans, red beans, white beans, green beans....chick peas, pickled beans...Oh my I love beans but

do not have a clue what PINK beans are.

Another favorite at our house......saute green beans in a touch of bacon grease.....add some crumbled bacon and onion and mushroons. OH MY -- to die for. You have to use fresh green beans...long slender ones early in the season before the beans form -- try it next season when they are in your garden. If you

are a bean lover like me you will love them.

Yes, I know....gas....I keep beano on hand along with gas-x expecially on days I have to work.

Ok...my silly question time.... What are pink beans?
I love beans, red beans, white beans, green beans....chick peas, pickled beans...Oh my I love beans but

do not have a clue what PINK beans are.
LGahr--I get the Pink Beans from the Goya section of my grocery store. They look like pinto beans and are probably the same size, but they are meatier and taste oh soooo good!!! In spanish they are called "habichuelas rosadas"...pink beans.

Ohhhh that friitos recipe sounds yummy!!!

Back