I know, silly, but this brought a tear to my eye

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn R

Reaction score
I was waiting to get a good pic, not the best that I posted, but I just had to share. Two weekends ago I went to visit my gypsy vanner in training. She had been there 1.5 weeks, I went past her stall and she wasn't there, figured maybe she was turned out, walked past the riding ring, and there she was. She was in the middle of being worked and RIDDEN!!! I have to say I really teared up. I told the instructor that it meant so much to me to see her reaching this point, having a purpose and doing well at it. For those that don't recall my post awhile back, my girlo Stevie lost her eye in January in a very freakish very sudden mishap. I did alot of praying and did my best to continue to work with her at home. I was so happy to find a knowledgable trainer that was willing to work with her. I must say that even the trainer teared up. I am not a hopeless cause, I know that some horses are better off being put to rest rather than suffer the fate they have, I know I am fortunate enough to have had insurance on her and that many could not afford the operation so they would be forced to euthanize, I know I am fortunate for that. As for Stevie, well, I said it before and I will say it again, War Horse eat your heart out, she is one in a million
default_smile.png

One very nice woman that helps out at the stable bought me a book for my son based on the movie Brave. She said she couldn't resist, Stevie looks just like Angus from the movie. I had to chuckle, I thought the very same thing when I saw the movie trailer months ago.

Hope you all don't mind me sharing, if down the road any of you have to deal with something like this, please know it is managable, they still can have a purpose and they can still have a great quality of life and earn a very special place in the hearts of people they come in contact with.

DSCF3551.JPG

DSCF3549.JPG

AWESOME!!!!! There's no reason a horse with one eye can't be ridden and used with proper training. Your girl is very lucky to have you! She's beautiful!
default_firstprize.gif

I didn't know she had lost an eye but it doesn't seem to have affected her one little bit. She is obviously doing beautifully. I can understand your being teary-eyed. Give her a kiss from another Gypsy lover.

Lizzie

Keep us updated on her training. I'm really anxious to hear more about her and how she responds as she progresses. Something tells me this is going to be one very special horsey.

Well, that's terrific Carolyn. I bet you are so excited!! Your story reminds us all that we never know what is in store for our horses and for some reason the bigger ones seem to have more accidents at least that's what my experience has been. Years ago, the day after my Quarter Horse gelding had the highest score in training level dressage he couldn't even walk. He must have been kicked in the shoulder and within days we he had muscle atrophy. It was horrible to see this beautiful creature dragging his front left leg. I had several vets and chiropractors out and finally I got the terrible diagnosis of permanent nerve damage around the scapula. I made the call to put him down which was the hardest thing I ever had to do. He was my best friend and I loved him so much but I couldn't stand to see him suffer. The vet came out and the barn owner met the vet to save me from the pain.........Long story short, the vet wanted to try something else and after months and months of daily chiropractic type work on him, his nerve regenerated and years later he came back and was shown at some local shows. His dressage career was over but he was back in the ring and loving his job. He lived to be 25 and then suffered a debilitating stroke. I had many, many years of enjoyment with him and it may have been a different scenario but there was love and joy all the same.

That's awesome! And, yeah, horses deal well with losing one eye if the sight is good in the other. When I was showing on the A Circuit, there was a huge black stunner that had only one eye and competed in the Grand Prix jumper ring! A little scary seeing how he approached those jumps, with his head cocked to one side, but he was very competitive
default_smile.png

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Lizzie, it happened in January, it took me several months to even write about it. I felt so horrible, not to mention I felt like a horrible owner. It happened on a Sunday, that Wednesday I was pretty upset with my husband when he came home from work. I snapped at him and said he could have asked how she was doing. He responded with, " I didn't think I had to ask, she was galloping around when I pulled up. She'll be fine." His reply was music to my ears....

Since then I have realized she is a real trooper and has a heart of gold. The only decision I have made, which I am sure she could handle, but I rufuse to chance is that I will not be taking advantage of the free breeding she came with. She is part of the family and I am not willing to accept the risk that comes with foaling. Once again, silly, I know, but when one chooses to breed one chooses to accept what can go wrong, I am not willing to accept the risk factor.

I will have to post an updated photo of Cal (Excalibur) the in utero colt purchased to be her companion and my husbands future riding horse.

Thanks for letting me share.

Beautiful story! I used to trail ride an app that lost an eye to uvenitis, and he was very good at what he did, in fact I donated him the boy scouts for their program. Your girl is beautiful, you are very lucky to be owned by her.

Latest posts

Back