I just smile...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My boyfriend likes to call my mini an oversized dog and I have told him wait till that "dog" bites you in the butt one of these days. haha.

Funny thing in a serious situation though, when my old boy was down on the ground during his "episode", my mini decided max was getting to much attention so he started running around trying to untie my boyfriends sneakers as we were trying to deal with max. He was being such a stinker, the owner of the farm had to put him in the barn to get him to stop bothering us lol. He is still on the untieing sneaker kick since he has discovered them lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the only comment that really, truly gets up my nose is when you start talking to someone older and they turn out to be "horsy". Then you find out they had a mini, or possibly two when they were younger (over here there were and are plenty of truly tiny UKShetlands ) and then they spoil the whole thing by telling you earnestly that theirs were way, WAY smaller than yours! The last time this happened we were leaning on my gate looking at a group of stallions and geldings the largest of which is 32" to the withers, full grown, and the one he picked to point at was a little black gelding who is 27"!! At that point I had to remonstrate, after all he had just told me he had bought this "falabella" (they are always falabellas, even though at the time he was talking about there were not any in the country!!) for his son to ride and it had come with a saddle and bridle. I challenged him to find a saddle and bridle to fit my 27" gelding! Memory is a tricky thing, after all.

My husband was asked, the other day, "why a mini, and what do you do with it?" I wasn't there, at the time. My husband had gone to feed Halo, while I was with my Mom. Anyway, my husband proceeded to tell them, that it was his wife's horse, she has always wanted one, but didn't get one until now, and doesn't know how to ride, and that eventually, we do plan on cart training my mini. My husband then proceeded to say, that right now, we are teaching and working with Halo on ground manners. The reply back, was you couldn't teach a mini ground manners. Found out, that years before, this person had a mini, that kicked a family member in the back. So, now, from how they talk, due to that, all mini's are brats and can't be taught anything. My husband said he didn't argue back. We just plan on proving them wrong, as they are at the barn, where Halo is boarded, all the time.

Even when you prove them wrong these type of people tend to stick with their convictions. They just reason it out that you have a very rare miniature and every other one is still 'a brat'. On my less charitable days I think it is not a bad thing if people who are so quick to base an opinion on one horse/incident never bother to own a mini. It is better for the horse not to belong to someone so closed minded, in fact pity their saddle horse if they have one because if anything goes wrong it will be the horses fault not theirs.

True...very true. But we can hope and pray, to change their minds.
default_pray.gif

We have had our first mini for about 3 month now. Shes is 19 yrs old, and my husband still has to call her "the baby horse" I wanna strangle him. He knows she is not a baby horse.

I have had full sized horses for about 26 yrs now. Got my first mini three months ago, and i gotta say, I LOVE her!!

We have had our first mini for about 3 month now. Shes is 19 yrs old, and my husband still has to call her "the baby horse" I wanna strangle him. He knows she is not a baby horse.

I have had full sized horses for about 26 yrs now. Got my first mini three months ago, and i gotta say, I LOVE her!!
I'm so happy to hear you got an older horse! I just got a 20 year old retired brood mare this year and she is an absolute darling. She is working in harness now. She's had 13 foals but I still call her Miss Bridget. I wouldn't THINK of calling her Grandma Bridget... I think it's cute your husband calls yours the baby horse.

I'm so happy to hear you got an older horse! I just got a 20 year old retired brood mare this year and she is an absolute darling. She is working in harness now. She's had 13 foals but I still call her Miss Bridget. I wouldn't THINK of calling her Grandma Bridget... I think it's cute your husband calls yours the baby horse.
I took in a paint filly from a friend when she moved. Was gonna train her and had a back injury. Was gonna rehome her and this lady feel in love with her. Didnt have the rehoming fee so offered up a mini in trade. Was told she was 7 on the phone, but when she got here I could tell she was older. But she has some spunk. She reminds me of a little arabian. All spunk But yet so behaved. I wouldnt trade her for anything!! Congrats on your new addition!!

Latest posts

Back