I hope I'm doing the right thing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casnos Minis

Reaction score
[SIZE=18pt]Well Cassidy can't steer Philly. She rides her every day except in this god awful heat. She is just too head strong for her and it scares her. She was doing so well in her lessons, but now she's a little scared everytime she rides. She's never been bucked off or anything like that, and Philly has never been agressive with her. She just knows Cassidy doesn't have the strenght to make her go the way she wants her too. It's not enjoyable for her to ride Philly and Philly gets a little annoyed when I give rides to the other kids on her. I wanted to ride, but I had a bad accident back when I was 16 and I haven't really gotten over it. I thought I had, but I can't bring myself to just get on Philly and ride. I'm having a hard time with this decision because Philly is such a good girl other wise and I have gotten atttached to her, but I can't afford lessons on her and I don't have a trailer to truck her to lessons for me. [/SIZE]

Christy

I know it's a hard decision to make, but I think you're better off not having a child ride anything they're not comfortable on - or able to make obey their commands. Good luck finding her a good home.

There's two ways of looking at this:

I think I've talked more parents out of buying horses for their kids that anyone in the world and instead, I'd advise lessons, lessons, and more lessons.

1. You should call your trainer back to evaluate if at all possible. Sometimes parents think that after a handful of lessons that they are ok to then go off on their own prematurely and then get into a bit of trouble. Not saying this is the case with your daughter and her trainer, I don't know. You've only had Philly about a month or so and I do hate to see you give up on her so soon. That's barely enough time for Philly to settle in. Philly may also resent having to have a variety of riders. Sometimes horses that have been used as school horses get to hate having to put up with different mounts after a while. Perhaps you can get the trainer back for a while and she can get her bitted up properly and schooled on the lunge line and train her to give to the bit like she should; but being head strong is not an easy fix. This would involve having your daughter have to step back while the horse is being re-schooled and that takes time and patience and money. But it's possible that a good trainer can get this pony up and going in time the way she should and probably worth a try, but you won't know until you get the trainer back out to do an evalution.

Here's the flip side

2. Having a horse that is head strong is very frustrating for anyone especially if they are green. The trainer should be there to try a prospective horse for the student and she would detect right off if this was a good mount to invest in. I noticed in a picture that you posted that the horse was posed with a chain on her nose and I wondered what was up with that. The child can get so frustrated then it becomes a chore to ride instead of a happy time. The child can become frightened and once the horse realizes that, many horses will capitalize that and then take it to another level and who knows what will be next, if anything. If Cassidy is already apprehensive about riding Philly, it's not going to be an easy road getting her to ride another horse if her confidence has been compromised. Before you know it, she might say no more horses and be soured from the whole thing.

You might want to consider that if you sell Philly not to buy another horse at all for Cassidy and just put the money back into lessons and let her continue to be schooled for a year or so at a good reputable stable, even if it means traveling a distance.

The bottom line is that Cassidy needs to be with a trainer with or without her own horse. Things like this happen all the time and you are not alone so try not to feel so badly about it. Best wishes in whatever you decide to do during this difficult time and big hugs to Cassidy from the mountain.
default_wub.png
:

You need to do what is best for you and your family.

This is just a hunch, but when you said about your daughter not having the strength to steer Philly, it makes me wonder with kids riding her, if she's just ignoring the "steering signals" because people are balancing basically off her bit. If you have constant pressure on the horse's mouth, they will not really steer. It does NOT take strength to properly ride a horse. It takes balance and light hands.

[SIZE=18pt]Thanks everyone for your input. I really apperciate it.[/SIZE]

Marty- Thanks alot, your advice is so welcomed and I'm glad your there. I think selling her and putting the money back into lessons is what's best right now. She'll still have the minis anyways.

Christy

[SIZE=18pt]I already have someone coming to look at her tomorrow. We've been emailing back and forth for a few days now and they are coming tomaorrow after luch. They live about 2 hours away. I'm sad, but if this works out it will be the best for Philly in the long run. I didn't want her to just become a lawn ornament. I really had hopes of getting back on a horse, but I can't bring my self to do it. I might end up taking lessons to get over my fear. I had shattered my radial head (elbow) and had to have surgery. This was when I was 16, I can do ground work with any horse. I took some lessons while in high school and was fine. I just can't get over the fear of being thrown again. Not that Philly would ever do that. [/SIZE]

Christy

Christy --

Do you have any interest in driving the minis you have? Or do you already? If you don't already, it might be a great way for you and your daughter to enjoy horses and not have to worry about being thrown or riding lessons. I've owned 2 riding horses since before I got into minis and I actually prefer driving to riding now, not out of fear but because driving's just so much fun
default_yes.gif
:

Plus, if in shape, one mini is most likely strong enough to pull BOTH you and your daughter on flat ground!

Jill

[SIZE=18pt]Jill- We are training my 2 year old gelding to drive. I've driven Belgins alot when I was in high school and loved it. Smarty has a great little trot and he is built like a little draft horse (kind of). We are going to make a cart. Thanks for your suggestion.[/SIZE]

Christy

How old is Cassidy??

How about a larger Mini for her to ride??

I know we have a wealth of ponies here, so we are spoiled but I cannot think of a 13.3hh I would put a tiny child on as a riding pony, even though I have met many, many ponies this size who were trustworthy.

I have always got ponies that suited the child's size, which, of course, has meant either selling or placing them as they are outgrown.

I have never tried the "one size fits all" thing
default_smile.png

I think you are doing the right thing stopping before something happens and, if you go for another riding pony I would get a Welsh or a "B" Mini.

[SIZE=18pt]Rabbitfizz - We have a "B" size mini. Our rescue mare Trisket aka Honey. We were going to "break" her to ride for my son. She's 35", I've gotten the saddle on her with no problems. She doesn't like the bit, as she hates anything in her mouth. It takes me forever to worm her. Cassidy is 6 1/2 and weights 50 lbs. If she can ride Honey then fine. Eventually we will get another pony. She loves the lesson horse she rides. She's 12 hands, she's actually perfect for her to ride. [/SIZE]

Thanks,

Christy

Lessons for you would be great. Let me tell you why. I got my first DVT when I was 19 and now 35. I was told to not do anything that I could get any tramua from to avoid another one. Well to make a long story short I haven't ridden in a while. Well 2 years ago I decided now was the time. Jump up on a horse and she ran off with me. I was on a run away horse and got thrown. I didn't go to the doctor, like I should have because I know I would have got a butt chewing, but I couldn't walk for a week from the pain. So that didn't make me want to ever ride again, but I have had the itch. So my neighbor had a mare and wanted to get into minis so we traded. I seen this mare ride around the neighbor hood and she did fine so I figured what the heck. Give it a shot. So I got her and she was bad about slinging her head with the bit. That scared me because I couldn't trust her. Then stupid me let the neighbor take me on a trail ride with the mare in heat. So I was a nervous wreck by the time I got home. So my husband thru a fit and told me no more horse. I decided to take lessons from a friend of mine and that was the best thing I could do. She understood what had happen and has been working with not only me but the horse on her fighting the bit. The horse was never taught not to fight it and was broke the cowboy way. Now I have a dressage trainer working with her and man what a difference. She works with her a hour and with me the other hour. I am having so much fun and I'm so glad I didn't give up.

Take the lessons, you'll be so glad you did.

Latest posts

Back