I have some driving questions...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How exactly do you achieve a good headset? What am I to be doing with my hands ect. and how exactly do I want his head and neck to look?
This isn't something you can learn by reading or in a post on the forum here. From the sound of it you have no experience either riding or driving a horse and I would highly recommend for your and your horses comfort and safety that you get some lessons on a well trained horse with a good teacher.

I do have a bitting rig although I don't use it as such. It does have many uses other than creating a head set which will do your horse no good anyway. I have one for Minis and one for ponies as they are far more adjustable to fit many sizes of horses than a harness saddle is and I get all sizes of Minis and ponies in for training. I don't use the harness until I am at the point of hitching up and I can ground drive and train them to yield with the bitting rig. I don't believe in the use of side reins or martingales or checks and won't put one on a horse until the end of its training and only then if I know it is to be used in the breed show ring. I don't recommend any beginner to use any of these appliances on their horses as they don't know the correct and proper use of them and will do more harm than good.
I do have experience riding a horse, I took lessons for years and years before getting into the minis. I just want to make sure I am doing everything correctly, you never know what may be different between riding and driving so I just want to make sure I know everything I can before I start. There is a proffesional trainer at the barn I board Fever at aswell as an Amaish girl about my age who has trained minis to drive so if I find that I am getting stuck I always have them right there for backup.

Becky I commend you for wanting to teach your horse to drive. You CAN do this and do a good job. The only thing I will say is NEVER EVER HOOK YOUR HORSE ALONE! My kids train all their own respective horses and do a good job. They show at a national level with their own horses and pin. The key to training is working in partnership with your horse and knowing when you need help and asking the proper person. Good luck, have fun and I know Fever will make a good driving horse for you. Linda B
Thank you and don't worry, I won't ever be doing any of this alone, my mom, dad, or sister will always be there.

I always use my splints and bell boots, only because my horse has nicked himself before, but I use them for jumping and driving, as I do a lot more cross country so he needs the protection. I would suggest them highly.

"I do have experience riding a horse, I took lessons for years and years before getting into the minis. I just want to make sure I am doing everything correctly, you never know what may be different between riding and driving so I just want to make sure I know everything I can before I start. There is a proffesional trainer at the barn I board Fever at aswell as an Amaish girl about my age who has trained minis to drive so if I find that I am getting stuck I always have them right there for backup."

Its good to know that you do have some experience behind you and some knowledgable help close at hand. It always scares me when I hear someone who doesn't have any experience is starting a horse driving - don't like to see people or horses get hurt so I always recommend getting some knowledgable help!

Handling a horses mouth when driving is exactly the same as when you are riding. You want to achieve the same head set and frame and do it correctly so that the horse stretches and rounds and developes the muscles necessary for self carriage off his haunches without resistance. The only difference between driving and riding is that you can't use your seat and legs as effectively. You will find though that your entire body position will effect his carriage and therefore it is every bit as important to sit correctly in the buggy seat as the saddle. Good luck with him!

Latest posts

Back