I have a question about open shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genie

Reaction score
If a competitor is rude, disruptive and unsportsmanlike toward other competitors and/or the judge, at an "open show", should the show organizer deal with the competitor at the time or later?

Also, is there anything in either AMHA or AMHR rulebooks to guide the show organizer with regard to the proper procedure?

I as a show manager if someone came to me with this complaint or I seen it was going on I (as manager) would call in the steward and talk to them and both of us would handle it and if at an AMHA show I would take care of the situation. It is not the judges or anyother helps responsibility to handle this. The only other maybe would be the show committee. But to me the less people involved the better.

I would deal with it at the time. Depending on how severe it is I may even write them up and send to the club putting on show and the sanctioning club.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto the above.... if it's an open show, A or R has nothing to do with what goes on there. You would need to speak to whoever that was at the show. And I too, would deal with it immediately.

Show Manager/Show Organizer was the same thing in my mind.

When you say "write them up" are you laying out specifics such as "an apology to the affected party, say the Judge for instance"

Thank you for your response. It isn't an easy situation to assess.

I think it's always best to deal with a situation right then and there. If a person is being rude and disrespectful to the judge and/or a member of the show committee and/or other exhibitors, it's up to the show committee to decide how to handle it. (ETA - The judge does have the right to excuse a person from the ring if the behaviour you described is taking place inside the show ring.)

I had an incident once where an exhibitor came to me (the judge) at the very end of the show and became extremely rude and beligerent in my face. I was talking with the show committee at the time, so they witnessed the exchange between us. I tried to calm the person down, but they would have none of it, and eventually stormed off. I wrote up an "incident report" for the show committee, and was informed a few weeks later that they had decided to ban that person from the show grounds in the future.

If you're referring to an open show at one of the fall fairs for example, I think most of them have rules prohibiting such behaviour, and the fair board reserves the right to withhold the payment of prize money or some other such consequence. I don't have any of the fair books in front of me right now but, if you do, it might be worth looking up for future reference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for that information.

I am referring in particular to local fairs and we will ensure there is something in the Fair Book to cover that type of situation.

If a competitor is rude, disruptive and unsportsmanlike toward other competitors and/or the judge, at an "open show", should the show organizer deal with the competitor at the time or later?

Also, is there anything in either AMHA or AMHR rulebooks to guide the show organizer with regard to the proper procedure?
In the AMHR if any member or non member participating in a club activity violates any of the AMHR's rules, 2 of which include unsportsmanlike conduct in or out of the showring at any sanctioned show and failing to treat officers, directors, employees or representatives of the Corporation with courtesy and respect, they are subject to discipline which usually means banishment from showing or attending shows for a period of time appropriate to the offense, or a fine, arrived at by a committee of board members.

Of course this only pertains to sanctioned AMHR shows as they have no control over open shows not under their jurisdiction but you could certainly set up rules and regulations regarding your show if you haven't done so already and follow the AMHR's example of how to discipline.

I think you need to use your own discretion as to whether or not to deal with the person at the time or later. If they are angry enough to pack up and leave without causing any further disturbance I would let them so that the show can go on without further to-do. Then your show committee can discuss the event at a later date and decide what, if any, punishment is to be meted out to prevent them from that behaviour in future. If they stay, I think I would prevent them from re-entering the show ring and possibly causing any further disturbances ruining the day for the other exhibitors.

I like Judy's idea of hitting them in the pocketbook. Obviously if they are behaving like poor sports they aren't at a fair show to enjoy themselves so it must be for the money. If the punishment for behaving badly is the withholding of prize money that may be the only thing that will keep them in line.

Thanks for your feedback.

I appreciate the various approaches and can hopefully come up with something suitable for our Fair Book.

I agree, fairs are for fun, and not for just winning, this is a place for fun and newbies to start out.

It is hard to put on a fair show being you are just volunteering your time, and no thanks, best to put all rules in writing.

Thanks Mary.....you hit the nail on the head
default_aktion033.gif

You and Glen always offer your thanks and I appreciate your compliments and helpful hints too.

We put these things on to get the community involved and to see people have fun and enjoy the beautiful horses. Most people understand what it's really about.

Here's a quote from the Binbrook Fair's General Rules and Regulations:

"13. Judges have been vested with the authority to deny the award of a prize and/or suspend from exhibiting, anyone creating a disturbance or using obscene language."

And in the Rockton Fair prize book, under Judges and Judging:

"3. Any exhibitor or attendant who is guilty of creating a disturbance whether by openly criticizing the judge or using obscene language to any judge or officer, shall therefore forfeit the right to any award and may be suspended from exhibiting by the Director in Charge."

Also from Rockton, under the Powers of Society section:

"5. The Directors in Charge shall be at liberty, for cause or in their uncontrolled discretion, and without giving reason therefore, to bar any exhibitor or any animal from participating in, or competing or continuing to participate or compete in any event, and also cause any exhibitor and any such animal to be removed from the premises of the society."

I'm pretty sure that every fair would have some sort of similar language in their prize lists.

I think with an open show, there's not really any set, universal rule for dealing with jerks. Unfortunately! I guess when issues arrise, the show manager has to decide how to best handle it and hopefully not add to the disruption. It's a shame how some people can behave.

It is a shame.

From my earliest memories I learned good sportsmanship. Through school and as an adult involved in sports, I was always aware of sportsmanship and manners.

We have young people showing, like 4 H members, and my grandchildren, and if they are not good sports they are reminded and will "sit it out", if they have a problem with remembering.

When an adult sets this type of example it can work in a couple of ways.

For the good and they see how the other competitors feel about the person, or possibly the young people will think it accomplishes something, and then take on the same behaviour.

I have thought sometimes that a judge might be intimidated by a competitor who is known to get vocal and nasty if they are not pinned, so award the person to keep them quiet.

Latest posts

Back