I got a mare! :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesi

Reaction score
She's a very sweet 8 yr old, AMHA/AMHR mare. Her name's Sophie.

She's solid chestnut, the only marking she has is a star.

My one question is she has a blue eye. I've heard that has to do with spotted genes, more specifically overo, am I correct?

I can't find any pictures of her parents, so if you know what color they are could you tell me?

She's out of Aspen Ridge Farms Heros Joker and Aspen Ridge Farms Heros Flash Dance.

I've found pictures of some with the same parents, some of them are spotted, some overos.

She's supposed to be bred to a chestnut overo, so I know the foal will be chestnut. I used a foal calculator, and found that I have a 50% chance of a solid foal, 50% chance of overo. I think if she's got a heavily spotted background then that raises the chances of a spotted/overo foal..

So, if you have any information for me I'd be grateful.

Thanks!

Jesi

Congratulations! You are right, blue eyes are associated with splash and frame. Overo is really a pretty general term that means any pinto besides tobiano. Perhaps someone on here will be more familiar with those horses to know what type of overo she is likely to be.

CONGRATULATIONS on your new mare!

Yes, blue eyes are a sign of them carrying splashed white or frame overo. If she is bred to an overo, I would sure be checking to find out if the sire is a frame or pslashed white, and also since you own the mare now, you can color test her. If they both carry the frame gene, there is a 25% chance you will have a LWO foal. This results in death of the foal within hours of birth.

Eeeh.. How would I go about testing her?

Here's a picture of the stud she's bred to.
sophie012.jpg

I think he's absolutely gorgeous, but all I know for sure about his color is what I was told.

So does he carry the frame gene? And I'll be sure to try and get her tested.
default_smile.png

**I don't have any pictures of her yet, other than what I took on my phone, but I'll be sure to post one soon for you guys
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It's near impossible to tell just by looking, but from what I can see, he appears to carry sabino and tobino. (which are safe) BUT, that does not mean he does not carry frame too. They can carry multiple pattern genes. The best thing would be to test the mare. Also, of you know more about the stallion's background, that too may help as frame does run stronger in some lines.

Latest posts

Back