I DROVE SHAKE TODAY!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so happy for Mimi and Shake and hope we get to see video/pix soon
default_smile.png

Myrna-that comment someone made to you to quit driving a mini makes me sad too. I have to say there is a side to some of the ADS stuff, the side that is so dismissive of minis ( and I know sometimes people bring it on themselves) that makes me not want to be involved with any of it. Makes me just want to drive here and enjoy the happiness it brings me. The way I see it, although I may not be anybody special, my time and money are important and hard earned to me,the time I have put into training my horses and the money I have spent on my gear. I don't need to feel looked down upon or second rate by anyone.

Angie

Sorry, Mimi, I misread the part about the other people in the arena. Forget that part of my post, and it's all positive!

No worries, Susanne. I'm just thilled to have so many friends to share Shake's progress. I'm excited to get him out today and drive him again! Today, we are going to spend some time doing our simple ring figures and 90% solo. I'm going to have hubby on the safety line for the first pass and then have him drop away, leaving the safety line with me in the cart. If that goes well, it's into the great outdoors tomorrow. Well, the outdoor arena, but that's a start.
default_biggrin.png

It sounds like the important part is having enough helpers to be able to walk the cart around without attaching it first, and that it's okay to be ground-driving in that circumstance?
No, we just lead the horse with a halter and lead or a blinder bridle and halter and lead. The purpose of this lesson is to get the horse used to the bumping of the shafts in the tugs and the shafts bumping them in a turn. If the horse doesn't like it, you can just let the shafts slip out of the tugs and the horse is free of "that thing". If we were to line drive while doing this lesson, we would have less control, nevermind that the horse has to think about being directed by the bit as well. We want them just to accept the cart at that point and not complicate the lesson.

I have to say there is a side to some of the ADS stuff, the side that is so dismissive of minis ( and I know sometimes people bring it on themselves) that makes me not want to be involved with any of it. I don't need to feel looked down upon or second rate by anyone.
That is why we NEED good drivers to drive minis in an accepted way with good equipment to show people how they ARE "real" driving horses.
default_yes.gif
There are people that are doing that, and we have made great strides. People look twice when the best dressage score in an entire CDE comes from a mini (not mine... he's a bit limited by his driver....
default_rolleyes.gif
....I like the principles of dressage, just not doing it....boring....
default_laugh.png
) The other thing that is helping is VSE drivers reaching out to other drivers. That could be offering to let them drive your horse, like the NW is doing at the Oct. ADS meeting, and discussing the features and benefits of minis with whoever will listen. We have multiple friends that have driven Morgans, Arabs, Haflingers, Fjords, Sport Ponies, etc. that now LOVE to drive their minis because they are so much easier to take to the shows (less of everything except ability and heart!). The best thing to do is let your big horse friends drive obstacles with a mini and see how they can negotiate them SO easily!
default_wub.png

If you want to be accepted driving a real driving horse, then handle and drive them like they are real horses, not tinker toys or pets. Perception is a lot of the problem and the solution. I was reinforced with that when I gave a driving clinic a few weeks ago. All of the 4-Hers had simple, uncomfortable pipe carts (both big and little horses) with cheap harnesses that didn't fit, and their average horses were going less than brilliantly (which in some cases was directly correlated to the cheap equipment). The leadership said that driving just wouldn't catch on in their county. Well...I can see why. The rest of the members are watching the drivers bounce around in those carts with their less than fancy horses. Why would I want to do that, too when I can ride my fancy QH with a big silver saddle? If people could be exposed to what driving could be, then they would more likely to want to participate, too! That is how we got started in the carriage shows, we went to watch and decided we wanted to do that, too! If people see mini drivers doing less than acceptable stuff with their horses, they sure don't want to be lumped into that group! Again, perception is the problem and the solution. We need good mini drivers to help move the up the acceptance level!
default_yes.gif

Preliminary results of the new ADS survey are coming in and right now minis are the 4th most popular breed! One director was surprised at that, I suppose because the numbers of competitive VSE drivers is not booming throughout the country. But people need to realize that since minis can't really be rode, driving is pretty much a given if people want to do something with their minis. We're a "captive audience"!

Now let's get out there and drive those horses correctly!
default_biggrin.png

Myrna

Progress Report: Shake is well on his way now! I can't believe he's only been actually hooked 6 times now. He's walking and trotting circles, three loop serpentines, long diagonals, short diagonals, and figure 8's. All of that bending work we did while pulling the tire and in the shaft trainers is really paying off!! He seems to just LOVE this! I almost took him outside today (we have been working in the indoor arena), but I decided to hold up on that and wait until they finish getting the new footing laid in the outdoor arena this week.
default_biggrin.png

default_aktion033.gif
!! Love the updates
default_yes.gif

I was all set to start my green gelding back in harness today but the weather has forced me to stick to the round pen work for now. As soon as the rain lets up and our arena dries out a bit he is ready to be hitched again (he has been hitched a handful of times since he was a late 2 year old so this is just a restart)I envy your progress right now, I have not yet even been able to drive my favorite mare yet this spring.

Congrats Mimi, I've been keeping up on FB! Shake is doing wonderfully and that's all down to your careful training.
default_wub.png
Still waiting for that video...
default_impatient.jpg

Forgive the veer off-topic below. It's such a fun conversation! I promise if you post video I will talk about Shake and only Shake!
default_whistling.gif

RhineStone said:
No, we just lead the horse with a halter and lead or a blinder bridle and halter and lead. The purpose of this lesson is to get the horse used to the bumping of the shafts in the tugs and the shafts bumping them in a turn. If the horse doesn't like it, you can just let the shafts slip out of the tugs and the horse is free of "that thing". If we were to line drive while doing this lesson, we would have less control, nevermind that the horse has to think about being directed by the bit as well. We want them just to accept the cart at that point and not complicate the lesson.
Now see to me, that does not sound safe at all.
default_unsure.png
Just let it drop? Isn't that going to spook an unhappy horse even further? What if it struck their hocks on the way down or they stepped on a shaft and broke it??
default_new_shocked.gif
Maybe I'm misunderstanding and you're talking about having a second person walk the cart around with the haltered horse, in which case I have no objection at all but still feel that at some point the horse needs to put together listening to the bit and being in the shafts at the same time (if only with a header's assistance.)

RhineStone said:
Preliminary results of the new ADS survey are coming in and right now minis are the 4th most popular breed! One director was surprised at that, I suppose because the numbers of competitive VSE drivers is not booming throughout the country. But people need to realize that since minis can't really be rode, driving is pretty much a given if people want to do something with their minis. We're a "captive audience"!
Ha!
default_laugh.png
So true. I've often wished that our minis could be ridden as Kody, at least, would have been the best eventer ever at 16h. Due to their size however I'm stuck driving whether I'm really that interested in the sport or not and that's how the ADS got me. Of course that's also how the ADS got a lot of mini drivers, so perhaps they ought to take that into account and market those recreational driving opportunities and safety clinics strongly towards the minis. Not everyone wants to do the fancy stuff!

(Warning, soap box below.)

Just saying "DO THIS!" isn't enough. It sounds like a bunch of silly safety rules for no good reason. SHOW people through accident videos what can happen if they don't. EXPLAIN the reasons behind each rule. And if the reasons no longer apply (like some things that were based on speedily hitching coaching four-in-hands for long road journeys and are now being applied to a single horse in an easy entry), then consider that some rules may no longer be as dire as tradition would have us believe. Checks were once traditional too, according to my reprinted coaching library. It took a lot to change that and many people howled about "safety" and "tradition" and "the rules" ... and now that those stubborn minds have been changed, people howl just as fervently the other way.
default_rolleyes.gif

Just sayin' that a wise mind will learn all the rules, learn the historical and modern reasons behind them, and sort through them for which ones are applicable NOW. Most will be as the basic nature of horses does not change. Some will be but cause more risk than harm in a modern environment. And others must be applied on a case-by-case basis to do what is safest for the individual horse. But no matter what, you must KNOW the rules and know WHY they are in place before you can argue for disobeying them. A good horseman questions everything for the good of his horse but also understands that it is wisdom to learn from the mistakes and experiments of those who have gone before. One of the things I like about driving is that you can actually find the historical basis for most of the commonly-held safety rules.
default_wink.png

Off my soap-box now.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
I, too, am interested to see this infamous Shake!
default_yes.gif

Just let it drop? Isn't that going to spook an unhappy horse even further? What if it struck their hocks on the way down or they stepped on a shaft and broke it?? Maybe I'm misunderstanding and you're talking about having a second person walk the cart around with the haltered horse, in which case I have no objection at all but still feel that at some point the horse needs to put together listening to the bit and being in the shafts at the same time (if only with a header's assistance.)
No, we generally have a separate person hold the cart, so they can just grab the shaft behind the tug and let the horse walk out. Yes, eventually the horse is put in the shafts with the bridle when they are comfortable with both line driving and the cart. Remember, as many steps as you can break it up into, the better. (That's a John Lyons method.)

Actually, I have only had a couple of horses that I didn't feel comfortable putting to the cart. One was an Egyptian Arabian (should be a separate registry from the rest of the performance Arabs
default_rolleyes.gif
default_laugh.png
), and the other was a Welsh pony cross. Both horses had a "tentative" feeling about them, like they were just waiting for the moon to crash.

(Where did the soapbox come from....
default_unsure.png
?)

Myrna

RhineStone said:
(Where did the soapbox come from....
default_unsure.png
?)
It does seem a bit out of place after the editing I did on the first paragraph, doesn't it?
default_laugh.png
It fit right in when I was ranting about not trying to make everyone live up to the standards of Traditional Carriage Driving when some are only there because that's the only way to enjoy their small horses.
default_blush.png
Obviously, I thought better of that rant.
default_rolleyes.gif

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back