I don't know what is meant by "Futurity"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stacyeking

Reaction score
I've been looking at futurity stuff in the mags, but I still don't really get it. Would someone please explain what it is, and what the benefit is?

I am not joking. I really don't know. We don't show except locally as of yet, but I'd like to as time and money are more available...

Please?

Stacye

Lots of clubs offer futurities for their members and all work basically the same way with some minor variations. I nominate all of my mares in the AMHR futurity - I do not have any nominated for AMHA's futurity, so will address only AMHR.

Before March 1 - you nominate your stallions at a cost of $25 each. Each mare can be nominated at a cost of $5.

This allows you to show the resulting baby at the AMHR National Futurity which is held in September in Tulsa. Pay-outs are based on the number of stallions and mares nominated and the number that actually show. In smaller classes they pay out to 6th place but in the really large classes I believe they are paying out to 10th. Some of the pay-outs were pretty substantial....there are often over 50 weanlings in a class!

You can sustain a horse in the futurity each year which then allows you to show the horse in the Yearling, 2 year old and 3 year old futurities. The sustaining fees are again EXTREMELY reasonable. $10 for a yearling, $10 for a 2 year old, and $20 for a 3 year old. 3 year olds can also compete in halter, pleasure driving, and roadster driving (correct me if I'm wrong - but only one type of driving). Each year a percentage of the nominating / sustaining fees are held back and move up with that age group so that the pay outs can be pretty large in those 3 year old futurity classes, even though the number of horses competing is fewer.

Colts can also be nominated for the Super G (gelding incentive program). They do not show until they are 3 years old and must have been gelded by that time.

So...the premise behind it is that you nominate your mare and stallion and then show the resulting offspring, and you can sustain them until they are three? And the incentive for doing so is the chance to receive a payout?

Yup! It's a great way to promote young stock and can be an incentive for buyers.

What I wish they would do in the R, is just lump it together so you wouldnt have to remember to pay it once instead of me trying to remember who I paid in what ughhh.

In the AMHA program you nominated the Stallion and mare one time but the futurity is only for the yearling year.
default_sad.png
I liked showing my 2 yrs in it, and 3 yr old hunter but that is no more and you didnt re nominate it was just a one time fee.

Latest posts

Back