I butchered...I mean CLIPPED one of my yearlings

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

Reaction score
I went to a clipping/grooming/halter showing clinic yesterday. Had a fabulous time and learned a lot. I bought my first pair of clippers. I was bent on clipping our silver bay girl today...even if it was just neck and head.

Well, what an adventure! My poor sister comes for a visit and got roped into playing assistant! For her efforts she got pooped on
default_new_shocked.gif

My poor sweet girl...she was not a happy camper. As a result, I really couldn't do a complete job, especially of her face. And I had a tough time figuring out what was her mane and what was her coat, so it looks pretty iffy there too.

The good news, I think my girl is going to look very grey when all is said and done. I could not be more thrilled. She has a really cute head too. Not as dishy as some but I really like it. I think I'll let her shed out. She was pretty stressed by what we did do and I don't want to "ruin" her by putting her through more if we don't have too. I'm positive our 2 yr old and other yearling will be much more receptive to the whole process.

So, without further adieu....here is some pics of my pretty silver bay girl:

BEFORE:

IMG_3961-1.jpg

AFTER:

IMG_3979copy-1.jpg

IMG_3972-1.jpg

IMG_3977copy-1.jpg

It is very hard to get a good job.......I still can't because I try to do things too quickly
default_no.gif

It looks like you may have been clipping "with the hair growth" rather than "against?"

She's a pretty little lady, that's for sure
default_biggrin.png

I'm terrible at clipping my husband Art is really good at it

so he gets the job and I hold the horse.

I can do some legs that look ok but I stink at the body

Great first attempt

It is very hard to get a good job.......I still can't because I try to do things too quickly
default_no.gif

It looks like you may have been clipping "with the hair growth" rather than "against?"

She's a pretty little lady, that's for sure
default_biggrin.png

Yes, I was clipping "with the hair growth". We talked about this in class yesterday. I can't remember exactly why, but I decided that since I wasn't clipping for a show or something like that, that this "with the hair growth" direction was "better" for a beginner like me. I probably have it all wrong in my head :p

Thanks everyone
default_yes.gif

No.....You didn't "butcher" your baby........but next time clip AGAINST the hair growth.
default_laugh.png

Try using a number 8 blade to start with, not a 10. The 10 is a standard for show cutting the body. The higher the number the closer to the skin it clips. Eventually you will begin collecting number 10's........30's, 40's will be for show clipping the face.

The more you clip the more you will learn.
default_yes.gif
And just as long as you don't have super cold temps, you'll be fine.
default_wink.png

The good news, I think my girl is going to look very grey when all is said and done.
She will probably get her golden color back with time. I have a silver bay mare, much the same color as yours, and even with clipping (her clipped coat is very silver) with time she is golden again.

Not bad for your first clip. I clipped my silver bay girl today, too; I clipped with her hair, leaving tons of clipper marks, but I was going for itchy woolies removal rather than show clip, and didn't want to clip too close and leave her cold with our still changing spring weather. [i had to do something, she's pregnant, due fairly soon, and she gets really thick winter woolies that really get itchy this time of year, she had already ready rubbed big bald patches on her neck and rump.]

Oops! Sorry mod! You'd think after a year of being here, I'd know where to post things!

I use #7 blades
default_smile.png
I think I will get some 5's this year.

Clipping just take practice.....
default_biggrin.png

Back