I am having a hard time deciding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katiean

Reaction score
Tonight a man came to my door asking if I would sell my Stallion. After talking a bit I did give him a price. I made the price high enough to ensure he would not be a slaughter horse. I really do not want to sell him but money is tight. He is coming back tomorrow to take pictures to send to his friend, in Mexico. I think what bothers me the most is that he would be going to Mexico. I can't inspect the farm. I have not talked to the friend. I know they have 3 other minis that they are taking to Mexico. My Dusty has never been away from home except for one trip to the fair grounds for a proper bath and clipping. He is a very gentle boy and does not kick or bite. I have been walking him to give him road manors before I put him to cart. He has been ground driven. Just thinking about Dusty going to a new home makes me want to cry. What would you do?

I think that unless you have no choice, I would keep him. For one so loved, I would be afraid of too much regret and worry to send him so far.

Barb

In cases like this, I put a high price on the horse. If they are willing to pay it, and I still have issues, I just tell them I've decided to keep the horse for now. But most of the time, if someone randomly asks if any of the horses are for sale, I say no. If I say yes, and they ask a price, I tell them, but make sure they know the horses are worth next to nothing if don't have their papers (a lot of neighborhood kids ask). Our farm is located in a not so terribly nice area, so that last part is something I add to discourage anyone from trying to steal them. Our gates have locks on them, but that won't stop someone if they are really determined. So far we've been lucky, with only 2 gate opening episodes(both before the locks), and one very minor fence cutting (hole big enough for a horse nose, but that was it- and that was one of the neighbor's teens).

If it's a horse I really don't want to sell, the horse doesn't have a price, period.

Something doesn't sound right here. Personally, I would not sell anything to this person.

I don't let any horse leave my farm without being paid for either in cash or it's equivalent or once a cheque has cleared. I'm not sure what you think doesn't sound right here? I get people that stop by all the time asking if a certain horse they have seen me driving or seen on my farm from the road is for sale. They could be from the farm down the road or from Mexico, makes no difference. This fella has a friend in Mexico that is looking for Minis. He has seen one he thinks his friend might like, wants to get pictures to send to him. A Mini is not worth buying to ship all the way to Mexico for anything but a pet or breeding animal. I can't see what the "scam" could be? We don't always get to "inspect the new home" before selling but then some people that I have bought from had to take me at my word too. I think there are a lot more good homes for Minis than bad.

I think that you need to make the decision Katiean. If you want or need to sell the horse and this fellow is willing to pay the price you are asking and you are comfortable with selling to him, then do so. If not, then don't.

If I was in a positon that I needed to sell then I would put a fair price on him and sell him when you get the right "vibes". from the buyer.

If you aren't in that position, then put a high price on the horse, if your thinking is that you would sell most of your horses if the price was right.

You can be more comfortable that things will be good for him , especially when they have a big investment. I know this also is not always the case.

I am sure that any of us who have sold a horse have had the odd reservation or a dissappointment later on, for one reason or another.

Sometimes it's the person who you would least expect to have poor animal handling conditions that surprises you
default_new_shocked.gif

Maybe your location sees buyers from Mexico a fair bit. If it happened up here in Southwestern Ontario it would scream "SCAM".

If they were using cash then fine, but a certified cheque, money order or draft are all instruments that are easily forged or fraudulent.

Mexico or not: Don't sell him, you are already crying about the idea of letting him go. Money is good but your love for him seems stronger than the value of money. No matter what you decide, good luck
default_smile.png

Let your heart/head make the decision for you and NOT the $$$$ amount.

Coincidentally there have been a lot of buyers from Mexico around here in Texas lately. I personally haven't sold any horses to them myself but I have (several) friends/acquaintances that have done so. They actually purchased (50) miniature horses a few months back and now another group has just recently purchased another (50). I personally think that it's a bit suspicious/peculiar that there purchasing them without any regard/knowledge of conformation, bloodlines or breeding history.

I'm one who likes to know EXACTLY where my horses is going and I want that one on one relationship with you so I'll have to comfort in knowing that my horse is well cared for long-term.

Just do what's right by the horse and you'll be fine....

Last edited by a moderator:
You cannot unsell him. No one can tell you what you should do, and until YOU know in your heart what you want to do, I wouldn't do anything.

This hits a chord with me since my husband has been saying that he wants us to downsize the herd and I recently advertised one of my stallions "for sale or lease". I had a couple of different people immediately interested, and as I discussed things with them I realized over the course of several days that I did NOT want to sell this stallion. Luckily, one of the interested parties was still interested in leasing him, came to see him and she's thrilled and excited about him. So, we'll cut back on having one more horse for a little while, and the stallion will get plenty of action that he wasn't going to get here this year, so everyone is happy.
default_yes.gif

Another time, someone was interested in a yearling colt I had, and I cried thinking about letting him go. I probably *should* have sold him, but instead I gelded him and kept him, and he went on to become my National Champion Jumper, Reserve National Champion Multi-Color, with multiple Naitonal Top Tens in a variety of classes, and a Halter Hall of Fame. I LOVE that boy and it was the best decision to keep him instead of sell.

The difference, I guess, is that I haven't NEEDED to sell my horses for money reasons. And it can be very tough emotionally to sell horses, but sometimes it's the best thing to do so. But if your heart is telling you to keep him and you will greatly regret selling him, then I say follow your heart, and find a way to come up with the needed funds another way. Good luck with whatever you decide!

I don't care if I get flammed for this but the last place on earth I would want to see any horse go to is Mexico! Do some research on what happens to horses there.

Tonight a man came to my door asking if I would sell my Stallion. After talking a bit I did give him a price. I made the price high enough to ensure he would not be a slaughter horse. I really do not want to sell him but money is tight. He is coming back tomorrow to take pictures to send to his friend, in Mexico. I think what bothers me the most is that he would be going to Mexico. I can't inspect the farm. I have not talked to the friend. I know they have 3 other minis that they are taking to Mexico. My Dusty has never been away from home except for one trip to the fair grounds for a proper bath and clipping. He is a very gentle boy and does not kick or bite. I have been walking him to give him road manors before I put him to cart. He has been ground driven. Just thinking about Dusty going to a new home makes me want to cry. What would you do?
What happens in Mexico happens in the USA and Canada too. There are good and bad people everywhere. You say you know he is taking 3 others. How do you know that? Is it possible that where he bought those minis they told him about your boy? I've also had folks drive by, see the horses, and stop. Some buy, some are tire kickers.

One thing to ask yourself is "why am I in Miniature Horses?" Are you actively breeding your horses? If so, you probably can't keep them all. Do you have the parents of Dusty? Is he related to many in your herd? If so you wouldn't want to keep him as a breeding stallion, in general.

What do YOU want to do with him? Breed him, geld him, show halter, drive? If he meets your criteria for any or all of these things or any others you think of, then keep him.

It really hurts sometimes to sell a horse you are attached to. But only you can make the decision based on fact and emotion on whether to keep him or not. But make sure you understand that if you are breeding Miniature Horses at some point you might have to sell some. Or even if circumstances change and it's getting tough to take care of what you have. You pointed out that money is tight. Would selling him help pay bills and keep the others fed?

When you have a buyer in your doorway is the best time to sell. But I would insist on cash.

My opinion only:

We live on a fairly busy road and our pastures/barn are in full view. We don't have any sign up, but still get people stopping by and asking if we have any ponies for sale. We always say no even if we do. First, they are usually impulse buyers who see a pretty pony in the pasture. Second, they have not put thought and planning in to it. They have not researched bloodlines or training. They also think that any pony should not cost more than a couple hundred bucks for their kid/grandkid to hop on. Also, I need to have the time to research them to see if they would give a pony a good home. Don't sell him to someone off the street especially if it seems rushed.

I don't care if I get flammed for this but the last place on earth I would want to see any horse go to is Mexico! Do some research on what happens to horses there.

i have to agree. i have heard horror stories about horses being used as drug mules to move drugs around without the cops knowing.

as far as i know, that hasnt happened in the USA or Canada yet....

i've also heard horror stories about their training methods for making a horse "dance"
default_no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
i have to agree. i have heard horror stories about horses being used as drug mules to move drugs around without the cops knowing.

as far as i know, that hasnt happened in the USA or Canada yet....

i've also heard horror stories about their training methods for making a horse "dance"
default_no.gif

A drug mule doesnt really mean a "mule".

Something doesn't sound right here. Personally, I would not sell anything to this person.
I Am not sure why???? There are plenty of good buyers in Mexico and buyers there who pay good money for quality horses and have nice facilities.

I have a friend who has sold several QH to Mexico and they are doing great she gets pictures and updates and has made VERY good money as well I might add.

There are just as many horses abused by ignorant morons here in the US in fact I am sure in each of our own personal states as there are other places and just as many horses being cared for and loved in wonderful new homes

My motto has always been: If you aren't SURE, then DON'T!

I have a lady looking at several Minis right now. Just don't have those good vibes. No deposit, so, I may just say no.

Latest posts

Back