husky killed minimare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marion 59

Reaction score
i never ever believed that this will happened! friday and saturday i hang flyers everywhere in town, of course not telling what the dog did, just that we found it.

yesterday someone called and asked if the dog had a blue collar on. yes!!

my husband only told them to contact the animalshelter and they claimed their dog.they wanted to take him home and the shelterpeople told them, what he did and that they need a rabies test done. i heard, you only can test it on a death animal?

tomorrow we are going to the police, to press charges and getting us a lawyer.

does anybody knows a lawyer in texas that has minis themself? someone, who knows about the breed and that these are not worthless ponies.

there is so much to think about right now.

she is never replaceable in my heard, but at least i hope that these dogowners have to pay for it.

I know in my days of liveing on a farm we have shot more then one dog who was attacking our animals. And I wouldnt hesitate to do it again.

If I owned a dog that did something like that, no matter what the animal was, it would be put down right away.

Once an attacker always a attacker.

You should pursue being reimbursed for your horse. Their homeowner's insurance would probably pay. Maybe you won't have to get a lawyer. Being a victim is such a heartbreak. Good luck!

Marsha

Best of luck to you Marion! I hope they PAY. I know $ can't ever replace her and her foal, but they should pay.

Maybe our own Vicki might help you? She's in TX and helped the forum solve that big case (thread pinned above) Wouldn't hurt to ask.

marion 59 said:
does anybody knows a lawyer in texas that has minis themself? someone, who knows about the breed and that these are not worthless ponies.

she is never replaceable in my heard, but at least i hope that these dogowners have to pay for it.

485565[/snapback]

Good grief, "worthless ponies"?????? Where on earth did you get that?????

I would think that the law is already set up to protect you, no matter what kind of "worthless" animal the dog killed. Any attorney can handle the fact that these people's dog killed and destroyed your heart!

There won't be any monetary amount that can bring back your mare, but I hope you do pursue some compensation anyway. The owners are the ones who are at fault because they did not have control of their dog.

Blessings,

MA

Good grief, "worthless ponies"?????? Where on earth did you get that?????
In order to get compensation, you will have to prove the value of the mare. I've had to give a deposition on the general value of miniatures. The opposing lawyer kept trying to use general horse auction values. Get some experts in your area to give you written valuations. Include future value also!!

You will definitely need a lawyer. If you know any professional trainers, they would be an excellent source of information and valuation.

Thank goodness you know who owns the dog. Unfortunately you had to experience such a loss.

marion 59 said:
i never ever believed that this will happened! friday and saturday i hang flyers everywhere in town, of course not telling what the dog did, just that we found it.yesterday someone called and asked if the dog had a blue collar on. yes!!

my husband only told them to contact the animalshelter and they claimed their dog.they wanted to take him home and the shelterpeople told them, what he did and that they need a rabies test done. i heard, you only can test it on a death animal?

tomorrow we are going to the police, to press charges and getting us a lawyer.

485565[/snapback]

When I was Animal Control (Texas 2001-2003 Certified Advanced Animal Control Officer) an animal found loose and without rabies tag/proof of vaccination was delt with as follows1.first and foremost owner gets a Citation for DOG AT LARGE

2.Because it was involved in an animal/animal attack... Held in quarantine for 10 days.. (horse is also home quarantined for 30 days) after 10 days could be petitioned BY Animal Control to be being desinated a DANGEROUS DOG which carries fees/fines and strict compliance as to housing/muzzling

3.If dog is to be tested for Rabies, the head is removed and sent to the Lab at the owners expense (commanly do not test an owned dog unless it shows signs of sickness/or exhibits suspitious behavoir)

unfortuneetly animal to animal attacks do not always merit the same as animal to human...but IMO the advice given as to pursuing this as a civil offense is well taken

I am soooo sorry about your mare.. IMO too bad you did not witness the attack... with a shotgun. I have seen too many animals killed or maimed by dogs running loose and so very frustrated by owners who fail to take responsibility and refuse to believe their 'beloved' pet would ever commit such a sin. Good luck...and feel blessed you at least have the owners of the dog vs a stray

Last edited by a moderator:
You do need to follow this up carefully. Since the dog is owned, and is probably/hopefully fully vaccinated, and it did not attack a human, chances are it will be releases back to it's owners. If this is going to happen it needs to have strict controls over it. No-one wants to see a healthy animal put down if there is an alternative but, this dog will do this again. It was not, from your description, out for a chasing spree, which if we are fair, most dogs will do if given the chance. It was out to kill. Check what your shelter intend to do now the owners are known.

Well, lets see. A lawyer in Texas that has minis?

How about
rolleyes.gif

Jane Macon, Alamo Miniatures

Robin

I think you're biggest worry should be this, if they turn the dog back over to the owner, chances are he will be taken back home, which must not be to far from your farm and as dogs will do, he'll come back to YOUR PLACE to have his fun again. Once they do this and get the taste of blood, I'm sure he'll do it again. I think you should get on this right now and insist something be done with this dog now, like put down. I'm so sorry for you and your mare but hope the rest stay safe.

What happened to your mare was just horrible, a very sad tragedy. I'd be upset beyond belief. Please accept my condolences.

I'm just going to throw something out here for this situation that you may just want to take into consideration.

When dogs roam around here, their owners just don't care and certainly don't go looking for them. They are your classic irresponsible dog owners.

Because the people that owned the dog bothered to track him down to get him back, might mean that there is a chance that they love this dog and may also be very responsible dog owners. Sometimes, dogs just get out, or break their chain, etc. and people are frantic to find them. This may be the beloved family pet.

I had a alaskan malamute that got loose on me once. He pushed his way out the door past my elderly aunt when she wanted to go sit in the yard, while I was at work and caused havoc all day long in the neighborhood and property damage. I had some repairs to make and offered monetary restitution on my own. Didn't mean I was a bad irresponsible owner.

The people are responsible for what the dog did while running at large, just like I was of course, they are and should pay by all means and be held accountable. I"m just saying that maybe these are not bad people and may be willing to settle up peaceably without court. I think it would be a good idea for you to speak to them personally and feel them out and see where their heart is in all of this.

Again, please accept my deepest condolences. I can only imagine your grief.

Marty said:
What happened to your mare was just horrible, a very sad tragedy. I'd be upset beyond belief. Please accept my condolences.
I'm just going to throw something out here for this situation that you may just want to take into consideration.

When dogs roam around here, their owners just don't care and certainly don't go looking for them. They are your classic irresponsible dog owners.

Because the people that owned the dog bothered to track him down to get him back, might mean that there is a  chance that they love this dog and may also be very responsible dog owners. Sometimes, dogs just get out, or break their chain, etc. and people are frantic to find them. This may be the beloved family pet.

I had a alaskan malamute that got loose on me once.  He pushed his way out the door past my elderly aunt when she wanted to go sit in the yard,  while I was at work and caused havoc  all day long in the neighborhood and property damage. I had some repairs to make and offered monetary restitution on my own. Didn't mean I was a bad irresponsible owner.

The people are responsible for what the dog did while running at large, just like I was of course, they are and should pay by all means and be held accountable. I"m just saying that maybe these are not bad people and may be willing to settle up peaceably without court. I think it would be a good idea for you to speak to them personally and feel them out and see where their heart is in all of this.

Again, please accept my deepest condolences. I can only imagine your grief.

485803[/snapback]

sorry, for the mistake to duplicate martys post.

i know ,that some dogs are made this way, either through their breeding or people that not treat them right.

about responsible owner... , the shelter people told them what happened and we are the only one here in town, who has minis. i think they should contact us !!

Thank you Marty. I have refreigned from posting my feelings on this as my feelings are like yours... Their may be more to this story than the owners being irresponsible.

As a dog owner, I can honestly say that EVERY dog I have ever had has at one point gotten loose. I have a kennel in a fenced yard. The Kennel has a roof, cement floor and a pad lock on the door. But that doesn't mean that my dog has not on rare occasion bolted past me when I answer the front door and then had a grand ole time roaming. Of course I am always in hot persuit if they do get loose.

And I can honestly say that every dog that I have ever lived next to has at one point gotten loose. If this is the first time that you have ever seen this dog, then chances are that this dog is one that may have just gotten loose.

Now what I would do is ask the humane society if these people are repete offenders. It is those that are the repete offenders that one needs to worry about IMO. If they are not known leash law breakers, then ask these people's neighbors if they see the dog running loose often. If the neighbors say that this dog is always locked up, then you can bet that they feel just aweful that their beloved pet killed your mare.

And remember that most large breed dogs will chase anything smaller than themselves and will kill if given a chance IMO. Everyone has to remember that canines are preditors and it doesn't matter the breed. I have seen all kinds of dog breeds chase minis. Heck, my grandmother's sheltie was one of the worst that I have had to deal with! While the little toy dogs may not kill, they are still just as capable of biting as a large dog. So ALL dogs should be treated as dangerous weapons.

Honestly, I feel sorry for everyone involved!

Marion59, you definately will never get her value back as you can't replace an animal that you love. But hopefully you can at least recover the fair monetary value for her and the loss of her future foals.

And please, if you can find it in your heart to feel a little compasion for the owner of the dog that attacked if you can discover that this was truely an accidental occurance of the dog running loose. I am sure since they were looking for the dog that they love that dog like you loved your mare. Try to give the owners a chance to make things right without having another animal's life lost. If you can find out that this is not normal for the dog being loose, then try to find compasion in your heart for those owners as they honestly are trying to be responsible owners. (If it is normal, then that dog needs to be removed from their care.) And please remember that these people are going to have issues with their homeowner's insurance company now. If they use their homeowners policy to cover this attack, the insurance company will most likely not renew them in the future as they have a dog that is a risk. I know someone who filed a claim for their dog attacking another dog... The person that filed had issues with insurance after that.

Again, so sorry Marrion59 about your mare. It just breaks my heart that you lost her. But at the same time I can find a little compassion for the dog owners just as long as the dog running loose was an honest accident. (If it is a normal thing, then I am would be very angry instead as those owners needlessly caused the death of your mare and I would have no compassion at all as they not only risked their dog's life, but they risk all life as well!)

I agree and disagree with the posts here . I am so sorry about your mare.. but a dog getting loose isnt acceptable and a dog that chases a mare well that isnt somthing smaller then it first off but.. even so that isnt normal behavior for a dog IMO .

We have had SEVERAL loose dogs over here of all types the worst offender was a husky that lived across the street he did come in and chase the horses after bringing him to animal control 3 times they finally refused to give him back to the owners and put him up for adoption. The next worst offender was the shepard next door who got mmore and more agressive each time she came over.

But we have had several other dogs that come to visit and they may go to the fence and watch the minis but dont offer to chase or whatever. those dogs i will put in the kennel and look for there owners. Most of the time it is a oops got out sorry kinda thing but.. and a big BUT here is they didnt KILL LIVESTOCK- accidently got out or not.

to me the killing part says it all and this dog if not having done so before will do so again and will more then likely work on getting out to do it.

Bad situation for all involved
no.gif

Wanted to add though that the shepard and thed husky were both very people friendly dogs
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
SunQuest said:
Thank you Marty. I have refreigned from posting my feelings on this as my feelings are like yours... Their may be more to this story than the owners being irresponsible.
As a dog owner, I can honestly say that EVERY dog I have ever had has at one point gotten loose. I have a kennel in a fenced yard. The Kennel has a roof, cement floor and a pad lock on the door. But that doesn't mean that my dog has not on rare occasion bolted past me when I answer the front door and then had a grand ole time roaming. Of course I am always in hot persuit if they do get loose.

And I can honestly say that every dog that I have ever lived next to has at one point gotten loose. If this is the first time that you have ever seen this dog, then chances are that this dog is one that may have just gotten loose.

Now what I would do is ask the humane society if these people are repete offenders. It is those that are the repete offenders that one needs to worry about IMO. If they are not known leash law breakers, then ask these people's neighbors if they see the dog running loose often. If the neighbors say that this dog is always locked up, then you can bet that they feel just aweful that their beloved pet killed your mare.

And remember that most large breed dogs will chase anything smaller than themselves and will kill if given a chance IMO. Everyone has to remember that canines are preditors and it doesn't matter the breed. I have seen all kinds of dog breeds chase minis. Heck, my grandmother's sheltie was one of the worst that I have had to deal with! While the little toy dogs may not kill, they are still just as capable of biting as a large dog. So ALL dogs should be treated as dangerous weapons.

Honestly, I feel sorry for everyone involved!

Marion59, you definately will never get her value back as you can't replace an animal that you love. But hopefully you can at least recover the fair monetary value for her and the loss of her future foals.

And please, if you can find it in your heart to feel a little compasion for the owner of the dog that attacked if you can discover that this was truely an accidental occurance of the dog running loose. I am sure since they were looking for the dog that they love that dog like you loved your mare. Try to give the owners a chance to make things right without having another animal's life lost. If you can find out that this is not normal for the dog being loose, then try to find compasion in your heart for those owners as they honestly are trying to be responsible owners. (If it is normal, then that dog needs to be removed from their care.) And please remember that these people are going to have issues with their homeowner's insurance company now. If they use their homeowners policy to cover this attack, the insurance company will most likely not renew them in the future as they have a dog that is a risk. I know someone who filed a claim for their dog attacking another dog... The person that filed had issues with insurance after that.

Again, so sorry Marrion59 about your mare. It just breaks my heart that you lost her. But at the same time I can find a little compassion for the dog owners just as long as the dog running loose was an honest accident. (If it is a normal thing, then I am would be very angry instead as those owners needlessly caused the death of your mare and I would have no compassion at all as they not only risked their dog's life, but they risk all life as well!)

485845[/snapback]

I have to say yes my dogs have gotten out and gone on walkabout on a few occasions however they NEVER killed anything and if they had I would have shot them myself.......my dogs occasionally chase my own stock however they get reprimanded and have slowly learned that is flat out unacceptable....we have a tiny pygmy goat and I feared the dogs might find him tasty...however a slow and careful introduction has lead to my dog's thinking the goat is a weird dog with evil horns.....the goat takes no grief from the dog's so they don't give him any.......owners can teach dogs...and I am sorry if you are going to own a breed (husky, shepherd, etc...) that is well known for roaming and chasing stock you darn well better take extra precautions to make sure they don't get out and in the event they do and then kill something well suck it up and deal with it........

Many people seem to have zero sense about dog's EVERY dog is a potential lethal weapon...would you weild a gun in such a senseless manner?......

I am so sorry about your mare...that is just awful

I just have to ad this, I'm shocked at the people who'd give this husky and it's owners a second chance. The way I read the original post is that the people were there, the dog jumped the fence and killed the mini instantly. There's no way the dog would be allowed another chance at this farm. If it's someones beloved pet and gets loose again, what'll it kill and how many next time if no ones around? I think most people do agree, once they've done it once, they'll do it again. A month from now, will there be another sad post about this dog killing more livestock? I can see dogs getting out and roaming but to bring down a horse in a moment like that, the dog knew what he wanted to do and did it. I love dogs, very much, anyone who knows me knows how much I love dogs but once a killer, always one and I'm sorry if it offends but my advice is to still, make sure it doesn't happen again. Around here that dog wouldn't be allowed a second chance, not a chance for him ever to me near my minis again. Money can't make up for the damage, I think it's up to the owners to protect there miniature horses in any manner that it takes. A beloved pet shouldn't be getting out and going and killing a miniature horse for any reason. The dog's simply dangerous. I'll just ad that yrs ago, my brother raised Siberian Huskys and they were killers by nature. I shudder to think what would happen if the dog was returned to the owners. I just hope it all turns out ok whatever they decide to do with the husky.

I sent you a PM... I am so sorry to hear about this. What a HORRIBLE death. I do NOT UNDERSTAND these dog owners who let them run loose....

Money will not bring the mare back, or ease anyone's pain, but sometimes it is the ONLY way to wake up these dog owners who just think it is ok to let their dogs run where ever... I bet this is not the first thing this dog has attacked- they usually start with something smaller.

Are you sure the dog was not running with others?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sooo sorry about your mare. I can't even imagine how bad you must feel.

I've owned Siberian Huskies since 1982 and used to actively show and breed them. We still have two older ones. Obviously I love the breed, but I must say, as I used to stress to prospective puppy owners, that they should always be kept in an enclosed area or on lead and NEVER left to their own devices! They are very gregarious and can get into all kinds of trouble. I only hope that this dog was an escapee and not allowed to roam on purpose.

We have spent thousands of dollars on 6' chain link fencing for our dogs. But still we must contend with at least two neighbor dogs who regularly rip open our garbage, soil our front lawn, chase our cars, run fence with and cause our dogs to bark, and cause us worry that they will get in with and harm our horses. The owners of these dogs contend that we live in the country and dogs run loose in the country. I guess they figure the county leash laws do not apply to them.
sad.gif

Shelley

I just thought I'd better come back and explain that I don't mean all huskys are killers, what I meant to say is that some breeds are more abt to do these things and need special handling, be raised in different ways. Just dont' want people getting upset thinking I meant All Huskys Kill. But they do have a tendancy that way. Love all dogs, but not killers.

Latest posts

Back