Hurricane Prep with regards to our horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

Reaction score
So, living in the mid-Atlantic region, we're in preparation mode for Hurricane Sandy. Because of its large size, unless it moves completely out to sea (which most models do not believe it will do), we will have some level of impact here in Maryland. Where we are specifically located, flooding is not an issue but high winds or tornadoes spawned by the storm are something we have to be prepared for.

We have everything else under control (batteries, charging things we might want to use if we lose power, having flashlights collected, grill's gas tank filled, filling every possible container with water, making sure anything that could be picked up by high winds is put away outside, etc.). My concern now is how to manage the horses during what could be the "height of the storm". Do I leave them out and let them determine what's best (i.e., going into their stalls) or do I stall them and basically force them to stay inside until the worst is over?

I'm curious to hear what others would do (or have done) in this situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in Maryland too, and getting prepared. Just got in from setting up temp. stalls in my indoor. What I'm doing is bringing in the horses that are in paddocks that are surrounded by trees, as I'm concerned that branches or trees will fall on fences, and the horses could panic. The only ones I'm leaving out in paddocks with run-ins are the ones up by the big barn, cause there're arent any big trees and I can keep an eye on them from the house. My big guys are staying in their stalls, as are the stallions. They won't like it much but it is safer for them. I don't like my guys out in the wind as I've had eye injuries before from stuff getting in their eyes. Last year we had gone to the sale in Pa and got 12"s of snow, but I think we here are just going to get hit with lots of rain, wind and I'm hoping no tornados, as they have a habit of coming accross the river. Good luck to us all!

I am in Maryland too. I will be preparing the horses just as I did for hurricane Irene. They will be locked inside. My turnout areas have a lot of trees around them that concerns me. The horses actually did remarkably well even during Irene.

I have put all my solar garden lights in the back yard to charge up as they are great for using inside the house and barn when the power is out. Stored some water. Filled every gas jug I have for the generator and chain saw. Make sure the first aid kit has all supplies.

They say out doors is the best place for them but I saw first hand that it's not always the best. I like my horses in the barn during the night and out during the day. My horse sitter stops at noon to feed lunch. I ask my neighbors to keep an eye out as well. I am not worried about the rain it's the tornado that could pop up that I worry about.

Hoping everyone and their babies are safe.

We are getting prepared here in southern New England too. I worry about the wind, so put fly masks on everyone to protect their eyes when they are out. I have a few that stay in run-ins so are out at night, but I close off any areas where branches or trees might fall. I am not just concerned about them getting hit by falling branches, but about them EATING the "manna from heaven". Thank goodness we got a generator last year, but I will still make sure we have water in addition to the water in our pond.

Please go to Moon Dance Farm (a LB member) who suffered through a tornado last year. http://moondancehorsefarm.com/Tornado.html

There is MUCH good information here about being prepared for disaster...many things I would not have thought of...one of the most important but horrible, have some means to euthanize mortally injured animals. Such a horrible thought, but for the sake of the animals we love, a necessity.

Please remember to put your name and phone number on your horses, thankfully we did for Rita and where able to find our horses when they ran off sometime during or after the hurricane. For light colored horses a livestock marker or sharpie works ok. Good Luck from the Gulf Coast.

Thank you for that link Charlotte!

Very helpful reminders for us all.You can substitute "fire" for "tornado" and the requirements would be the same.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Trees are not an issue for us. Based on their behavior in the past, I'm more than certain they will stay in the stalls during the worst of the weather despite not being "forced" into the stalls. Still, we'll watch and determine what we think we should do as the storm gets closer.

We are in southern NJ. and are fortunate to have our house and barns up on a hill with no trees within 300' although we are surrounded by trees. We will be keeping all of our horses in their stalls. They are always in at night and out during the day. But during bad storms we always keep them in so they are used to it occasionally and do very well stalled. in our mares barn we have a 10' x 30' dirt hallway where we will take turns letting them have some time to walk around somewhere different and is great when cleaning stalls. We have 4 of the big rubbermaid water tubs from when we had full size horses so with 3 barns we have 1 filled outside each barn and 1 at the house. we have a generator but it is not covered so we can't run it when it is raining. Only running extension cords into the house but last storm we had a whatcha- ma- call- it LOL installed so we can switch over to use our water pump for the well also. Moving extra feed and hay to each barn. Our Koi pond during the last storm had no electric for a few days (we didn't think of it ) and we lost one of our 18" Koi
default_sad.png
- so don't forget your fish ponds with losing your electric for the pump. we have not stocked up on food since the fridge may go out and cannot run generator in the rain.

prayers for all in the storms path ...and hoping we all have no problems other than some boredom with the weather

This storm is getting pretty darn serious with regards to how hard it may hit us, even as far inland and away from water as we are. I believe we will be stalling just for my piece of mind. We have a 100 gal trough, 50 gal trough, and 3 sixteen gallon muck buckets filled with water right now. Plenty of hay and feed. Nibble net bags are at the ready too.

Ugh...this is stressful!

I've aleady been through hurricanes and my share of tornados with horses and in no way would they be outside. I actually saw a large branch fly into the side of a horse once and I'll never get that out of my mind. Put them inside!

Here in Delaware we are about 5 miles from DE Bay as the crow flies and about 20 miles from Atlantic ocean.Not looking real good for us.Horses will all be in my old dairy barn that has been here for almost 100 years.2 Corgis &1German Shepherd in the house with us.Water drawn in muck buckets in the barn will last several days.Water in buckets in shower to flush toilets.If power goes out I'm not concerned about how I smell-just keeping all living things safe.We have a generator but since Karl had a pacemaker put in he can't get near the thing.Will have to call in some help for that if necessary.Can't wait until thursday when this mess is all behind us.Lots of prayers for all of you out there to keep you and your loved ones safe and all your critters safe also.

I am no where near that path but am thinking about all of you in the path of this crazy storm and praying for all of you daily. May the Good Lord keep all of you and your family and pets/animals safe through the bad week ahead.

Bev, so glad you have checked in, I'm so worried about all of you on eastern shore. My son and his family are over there in Queen Anne, so I hope it moves a little further up north. It really hasn't effected us yet, just some wind, but I think I'm ready, for sure we will lose electric as we always do even in a little storm, so like you, I stocked up on water. I'm going out at noon and bring all my in that are still out. Good luck to us all.

I'm in VA, 50 miles inland from VA Beach, so the storm is hovering between us and NC coast right now.

It's actually still affecting the coast as far down as FL, somewhat.......very spread out storm! Slow moving.

Right now I've had some winds, not bad yet, more rain than I want -- not heavy just constant -- and expect it to get worse over next 24-36 hrs. In my case, I have a generator that plugs into a device that is between my meter & electric base, so I can run most anything in my house, with caution about keeping high pull items off (HW htr & well) until I need them, then not use other items at same time. I actually flip the breakers off for those two until I need them.

Horses, all have barns/run ins and use them as they desire. I CAN close them in if need by but, when it gets really windy they all move inside! Also have a 12 stall barn ready if I need to move any in there. My main prep was to fill gas containers, car/truck, etc. and bring in extra hay, feed -- in case -- as I still have pasture and they may need inside hay instead. No trees near a shelter or house. Of course, had to be sure everything was secure from blowing around, etc , and move my chickens into their new house with feed and waterers to handle several days of supply. (actually just finished roof on that coop yesterday AM!)

So far, so good. But, tonight & tomorrow may be far different. I'm hoping that the bands of really heavy wind/rain continue to miss me! This AM the weather showed constant 35-40 mph winds at the beach and gusts to 60, with dropping temps. That is sure to continue for a while. We just never know with weather, can/should prepare for worse and hope for best. I'm ready as I can get for something I don't want to happen LOL.

We're 30 miles off the coast of Atlantic City where the direct hit is suppose to happen. By tomorrow afternoon we should be getting hurricane force winds and they are reporting for this until Tuesday. The rain and stormyness should be out of here by Thursday. We've spent the weekend getting the barn prepped to contain my two little guys...hay and lots of water in there. The chickens will be left in their Amish made coop with grain and water and my little Call duck will be going inside the brooder bedded down with hay, water and food for him as well. All light objects such as lawn chairs and tables have been set up in the storage garage. This storm is very unsettling. And the media reports are very scary. I've had to withdraw from watching them and just get reports from the online storm trackers. I just pray that this thing when it does hit, is not as monsterous as they are reporting it will be and that we can all stay safe, humans and animals. I sooo wish it were Wednesday already. Wide spread power outages are to be expected...the reports last night said maybe people being out for a month's time...geez! We have a generator but cant set it up until after the rains. Stay safe everyone.

I am in MA directly on the water and all my horses are only ten minutes inland. We already have winds and it hasn't even hit us yet. The ocean is already scary looking from the house, so starting to get really nervous of just how bad this will be. I have heard its going to be a repeat or worse than "the perfect storm." My college classes are already canceled. All ponies will be safe inside with tons of extra hay and water. Praying everyone stays safe and sound wherever Sandy travels!

I live in Ohio and we are preparing here as well. They are predicting high winds, and snow of all things!

Water troughs are full, and there is an extra trough in the barn aisle. Picked up all lawn furniture and pool stuff and put it away.

The generator is full and extra fuel has been bought and it has been serviced and run.

The old Arab mare (30) has been stalled. She is very unhappy, and we will have to get her out ASAP as she is a weaver and can't afford to lose weight.

Window A/C units are out so the windows can be shut tight.

Boy, didn't I pick an awful week to return to work after two months of disability leave!

Here in Southern Maryland we already have winds and some rain.. Expected to be a lot worse tonight through tomorrow night. Not looking forward to it at all and really hoping it isn't as bad as Irene last year.

Horses are safe, locked inside stalls.... Really hoping for no damaging tree loss..

Stay safe everyone!

Back