How would you feel??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minibossmare

Reaction score
How would you feel and what if anything would you do if you purchased a horse, half down and half when the paperwork was given to you, and you find out in a matter of weeks before you have paid the other half, and before they have the paperwork fixed........that someone you know had the same horse priced to them quite a bit less....Would you feel like you where taken advantage of? What would you do? I know people have a right to ask what they want for their horses, but it sure hits you in the gut when you find out so and so you know could have bought it for alot less.
default_sad.png

It wouldn't bother me at all. You were pleased with the terms, so why worry about it? I am more likely to offer a discount if a person is going to pay up front, and not come down if a customer needs to pay a horse out. Besides, prices are always subject to change. Don't worry about it and be pleased that you are getting the horse!

I even have a disclaimer on my web site/price list "Prices subject to change and horses to be withdrawn without notice." It is part of doing business.

I would not be upset. Was this other person a previous buyer or friend? That can determine what people charge and special prices they give. Alot of factors can go into 'special offers' that sellers will offer buyers. Anything from they know the buyer to the buyer planning to show the horse and help promote their stable name or they a repeat customer, etc etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
It wouldn't bother me at all. Perhaps this other person was a more serious competitor and the current owner wanted the horse shown. I get offers all the time to purchase horses from friends who know I'll show the horse all season at much lower prices than what they advertised the horse for.

I agree - would not bother me a bit.

I will lower my own advertised prices sometimes if the home is right or if I know without a doubt that they will promote the horse well. I just sold a good horse to someone for a price that I would not give to almost anyone else. But the particular circumstances of the new home offered other benefits to both me and the horse and so was worth it to me.
default_yes.gif
:

I will add though that what WOULD upset me as a seller is to offer someone a "special" price, then have them repeat that price to the person who does buy the horse. :nono: That would be the last time they were offered any special consideration on prices.

Well, it might be several factors. If the other person was paying all up front, then maybe that could be why a lessor price? Of if the other person was going to show the horse and you not, that could be another reason (since showing is good advertising). Or it could be the other person had kids and the seller felt that horse was ideal for kids? Or, maybe the other person has purchased horses previously from the seller? It could be a lot of things that do not mean the seller took advantage of you.

Another thing, too, is maybe the other person ASKED if they could do better on the price. With the horses I sold this past year, I only came down on the price of ONE and that's because only that buyer asked if I could do better. No one else tried to negotiate and I was just wanting to "get it over with" in terms of moving the horses on to new, good homes. The price was at the bottom of my priorities and I would have negotiated all the prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I could have paid for the horse all at once, but once I saw the paperwork was a nightmare, I said I would give half and the other half when the paperwork was straightened out.

The person offered the horse for less money was looking at several horses and that was the price shot off at her. It is nothing to do with having kids, as I have children too, and this person does not show, nor do I.

It just hurts when someone says oh you got that horse, well I didn't want to give $$ for it so I passed, then to find out you gave $$$ more than they where even willing to give.
default_wacko.png
:

I'd try and not dwell on it since it's already done. It could even be the other person is telling a lie or confused as to what the price was "way back when". Then, still, my opinions on what my horses are worth can change as they mature or as I notice this or that...

To be honest - it might annoy me for a minute or two - and then I would think of all those reasons the others mentioned --- plus - I don't negotiate well -- so I usually pay more for things than other people I know do for the same items.

Bottom line - if you were happy with what you got and the price you agreed to - at the time you agreed to that price - then be happy now.

This is not much different than buying something and finding it for less somewhere else.

JJay

Well thanks guys, I guess now I feel stupid, cause I was so upset I sent the seller an email, and told them what I had learned and that I awas upset about it.

I guess if it was a couple hundred I wouldn't have thought anything, but it was quite a bit more, so my first reaction was to get mad........I haven't heard back from the seller yet, but I will apologize, I guess it was their right to ask what they wanted.

I just have had some really bad deals lately and feel like I have SUCKER written on my forehead whenever I am dealing on horses.

default_wacko.png
:

Well thanks guys, I guess now I feel stupid, cause I was so upset I sent the seller an email, and told them what I had learned and that I awas upset about it.

I guess if it was a couple hundred I wouldn't have thought anything, but it was quite a bit more, so my first reaction was to get mad........I haven't heard back from the seller yet, but I will apologize, I guess it was their right to ask what they wanted.

I just have had some really bad deals lately and feel like I have SUCKER written on my forehead whenever I am dealing on horses.

default_wacko.png
:
Don't feel stupid, I agree, my first reaction would be to get upset, ask opinons just like you have done, you can see the reason from other peoples views.

Email them back and apologize but ask why the increase? Might be surprise with their answer.

Good Luck

The purchase price of the horse in question is really a relative thing. I can't tell you how many times I have looked at a horse at someone's farm and been offered the horse for a certain price and turned it down. Then several months later see the same horse at a sale and end up buying it for considerably more than I could have bought it for at the farm. Now that makes me feel really stupid.

Hopefully you enjoy the horse and evidently felt you were getting your money's worth when you bought her. All the facts surrrounding the sale that the other posters have mentioned may have played into it and there may have been even more that you don't know about yet.

Enjoy her and forget about the other persons input would be my suggestion. The input they gave was pretty poor manners anyway on several fronts.

:saludando:

It wouldnt bother me either. I know if a person is a repeat customer I normally give them a discount. I had a lady that bought one from me last year come back and buy my last 3 mares I was selling. I nocked off a few hundered to her being a repeat customer as well as for keeping all three together.

Also some people would like to see there horses in homes with certian people so that some times makes a difference, or if they are friends.

We have reduced the price on several horses to friends & to repeat customers. Have also reduced the price because the horse WAS going to be shown or we knew the horse was getting an excellent home........ A good home is worth more than high dollars in my book.......... We usually price our horse to the general public but sometimes we do sell for less depending upon several factors.

My first inclination would be to suspect that the person who told you they were offered a lower price was lying--simply because I know someone who's always doing that sort of thing. I know not everyone is like that, but once you know someone that is that way it makes you take every one with a grain of doubt.

This person I know--she's jealous every time someone else buys a new horse and every time she'll come up with something rude--usually the story goes something to the effect that the seller had previously called her and begged her to take the horse for a ridiculously low price, but there was such & such that she didn't like about the horse & wasn't about to agree to take that nag. :lol: The truth of the matter is--generally if she actually did talk to the seller about that particular horse it wasn't that the seller called & begged her to buy the horse cheap--she was the one to make the phone call, liked the horse but discovered the price was out of her league and so couldn't buy it. She'd just change the story around to make it sound like she could have had the horse first but it wasn't a good enough horse for her so she turned it down.

Anyway, I always make sure that a deal I make is one I'm happy with, then I don't care what someone else was or wasn't quoted for price.

And to continue along Minimor's line of thinking... if I was the seller and found out that someone I had offered the horse to at a "special" price revealed that to someone else -- I would be very careful about doing business with them again!

The only time I consider the price of a horse "public information" is when it is sold at auction. Otherwise, what I actually sell a horse for is "private business."

There is another way this may have happened. I had my husband price a horse to someone that was here at the farm. These people got a really good deal because of the breeding, but my husband didn't ask me about it first, so he didn't know the exact breeding. (We were out in the pasture looking at weanlings) If these people had turned this horse down and left, his price would have more than doubled, but a deal is a deal and if one of us gives a price, we will stick with it--with that buyer only. If I did price the same horse higher to the next person and they were friends to the first person, I probably wouldn't even know, but would be willing to give a reason if they asked.

Angie

Latest posts

Back