How to give a miniature horse a bath in the winter/cold weather?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Eowyn

Reaction score
Hello,

I must admit, I've been lacking grooming my mini and she's become very dirty--especially when rolling in the mud in her shed. The weather is finally getting in the 30s, but it gets colder and night and today its in the 20s (Fahrenheit) I want to give her a bath --at least just get her coat clean again. She has white fur so it's looking a bit yellow. If I used hot water and a rag, will she dry fast?--I don't want her to freeze. I don't have a blanket for her, but I do have a full body sleazy if that helps anything XD Thanks!~

Edit:

Thank you all for the answers, I'm glad I never gave any of my horses bathes in the winter, and I never did under 70 degrees either so now I know ;) I guess I was confused because when I googled it, some people said you can with hot water and a towel. I won't be doing that! Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not give her a bath unless it is going to be warm (65-70 or above) for several hours. Yellowish hair is much preferrable to a sick horse. You can try a shop vac and clean all the dust and dirt out and possible then put something like miracle groom on a rag to wipe her off, but getting her totally wet for a bath may be the biggest mistake you ever make for her.

I just reread your post. NO WAY would I give her a bath. TOO cold and she will not dry for hours in that temperature. A sleazy is no help against cold.

Okay--and she's not sick, its just the dirt that just makes her yellow XD Thanks =)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to get stains off, they make spray on products to do that without using water. Or Baby Wipes work quite well. I would not give a bath even in warm weather without a blanket or some kind of "robe" to put over them.

Most definitely no bath now.And when you can invest in a blanket for her.You may never need to use it,but it is a nice item to have on hand in case of??I have had horses get hypothermic and shivering in very cold weather and had to use a blanket(and a few other things) to get body temp back up to normal.A dirty horse is much better than a sick horse.being dirty never killed a horse but a very cold horse from being bathed could lead to serious consequences.

We have a rule that no horse gets bathed at less than 60*F. And sometimes that leaves them shivering and cold - especially when they stillhave a heavy coat like right now. The heavier, winter coats - don't dry quickly.

When I do bathe them at less then 75*f - I stand them in the sun (either loose on grass or tied) to dry - but that can be hard on a show coat, too. Also, one oc those microfiber towels along with a squegee can take a lot of water out of their coats and help to get them dry.

A shop vac that can lift water - works wonders! You can deep vac down to the skin - a curried horse to get loose, scurfy hair and dirt off AND also to get extra water out of/off the coat.

I agree with all the others that it is too cold to bath, but you can do a dry version. Curry as much as possable, and I'm actually using a shedding blade this time of year, as the shedding has began. Rub corn starch into the yellowed or stained areas then brush off. Works temporarily until the weather warms up.

I wouldn't give her a bath unless it's going to be warm (70s) during the day and at least in the 50s at night. Just give her a good currying with a metal brush and use a horsehair brush to extract some of the extra dirt! Mine are a little dirty, too--they LOVE rolling in the snow and mud, so it just happens. But I keep them curried out and they actually don't look half bad!

Okay thanks for the info =) I never gave a horse a bath in this cold of weather, but I just wanted to make sure. And I agree with you, bevann, a dirty horse is much better than a sick horse.

No bath and no sleazy as that will flatten her hair and it is the puffiness that traps the body heat and keeps her warm.

I can appreciate having another groom a holic on board but NEVER in a million years would I consider a bath until its super warm and even then, if its before summer, warm water. Just don't do it.

You'll be surprised at how just a good curry comb and brush session will do to brighten that yellow so that it's closer to white. Unfortunately, this is one of things that you have to accept when you have a white horse...they often will look anything but white! But bathing in such cold temps is a really bad idea unless you have an indoor heated wash rack/stall AND a heated stall or area to keep the horse in until they are completely dry.

Latest posts

Back