How to get started in jumping?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakrunfarm

Reaction score
We've gotten our first two minis and are thoroughly hooked. (I was warned!)

While our main focus is and will continue to be halter, I think the jumping just looks like a WHOLE ton of fun.

I'd like to know how to choose a jumping prospect:

Age, size, does color matter? Are mares better than geldings or vice versa?

And then how do you start them? Yourself? Do you send off to a trainer?

Would I be better off as a beginner to buy one that is already trained?

Do you begin them over ground poles, then a couple of cavalettis and go from there? How high are the jumps at the AMHR shows?

Any tips and info you can share would be much-appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just started jumping mine 3 months ago on low jumps just high enough for her to jump for them.. then i increased the size and she clears a full 2.6 ft course with no problem
default_smile.png

I have no real formal in put but just personal experience. I take my horse on walks through our woods and at a couple of spots there are trees down, two are large limb size and one is huge(about 28 inches high). As I take them for walks I have just approached the smallest of limbs to see if they would be interested in jumping over it...well to no surprise Pokey my oldest, tallest(33 +/-) and largest(around) had no desire to jump and looked at me as if I was a complete fool for even thinking such a thing. She did eventually and will occasionally step over the small limb. Now Rue, the smallest(30.50 +/-) is will occasionally jump the smaller limbs but she would rather not be in the woods, she thinks she is too pretty. Cowboy(31 +/-) loves to jump and his favorite is the biggest tree, he is so full of personality and it seems no matter what I ask of him he is up for the challenge. So I guess in answer to your question-mare-stallion-gelding it comes down to the horse. I love doing this with my horses but have never competed at a show. It is also one of my favorite classes to watch. Keep us updated on what you decide to do and whatever it may be enjoy!

We find that almost all minis like to jump. Ours wait impatiently at the fence for their turn when they can see the others being jumped in the back yard. If you know enough to ask about starting over ground poles and then cavallettis, you are on the right track!! That is just how you start them. Read more on the 4-H info on our website.

At AMHA jumps can go as high as 44" - try to watch the show on-line starting this weekend. For AMHR they go up to 30" and then any jumping off for ties is timed. I think we jumped about 7 of our 13 minis tonight - all the ones that are 3 or older except the 2 mares who are weaning foals. Even the 30" stallion who rarely gets jumped had a go and he clearly remembered everything and went right over the fake brick wall. The sizes of our jumpers (well, some are hunters) ranges from 28 1/2" to about 33". We find that the smaller ones tend to have the best form and sometimes they can jump he highest too.

Have fun and don't raise the jumps too fast.

First don't start them too young. Wait until at least in their second year so as not to cause strain on young bones and muscle. As for showing in AMHR they have to be 3 (in their third year not by birthdate).

Start over ground poles walking then trotting. Praise them for clearing the pole instead of "knocking" it. When you can put several poles one after the other and they clear them well, then raise the pole 4-6" off the ground. Again practice until they can easily clear this. Now get some standards and begin to raise the poles.

If the horse doesn't like to jump, you'll have to make them go over every time or they will at least hesitate every time. My mare started easily and cleared them all easily. My gelding was one who did NOT like it until he saw the other horses jump at a show. They were all in line and we took him for a try and wa la; he now jumps nicely.

However the mare still is better in that she will do the hunter course with flowers or walls etc. and he will hesitate. She is 34" and has cleared 36" in an AMHA show. Don't get me started on the AMHR timing the second run as I don't feel it is a jump class as much as who can run fastest (me 68 or an 18 yr old!)

The jumps in AMHR in "hunter" class are limited to 24" while they can go up to 30" in "jumper" on the second round.

There is no difference in age, color, or sex for finding a good jumper. I believe, the real secret is in your horse trusting you completely.

Age, size, does color matter? Are mares better than geldings or vice versa?

- As long as the horse is older than 3 and younger than 20 I would say that's a good age. The older the horse the harder it is on their joints, so make sure you stretch and warm them up properly and don't keep "drilling" over a high jump. Personally I find an A horse easier to control but if you have a B horse and can keep up with them great. Of course color doesn't matter. For me my gelding and mare are both good at jumping. The gelding seems like a natural, but the mare has had lots of experience. Some mares are moody and may not want to work, but I know plenty of gelding that will refuse jumps, run too fast, or not want to move. It all depends on the horse.

And then how do you start them? Yourself? Do you send off to a trainer?

-I start with cavalettis, walking and trotting over. Then move up to a cross rail to get them to center. Then go to a normal standard jump. Honestly I would never send a horse to a trainer to train for jumping. It is so easy and as long as you are in shape you can do it yourself.

Would I be better off as a beginner to buy one that is already trained?

-Already trained will be easier, but most minis I have worked with are able to jump

Do you begin them over ground poles, then a couple of cavalettis and go from there? How high are the jumps at the AMHR shows?

- I believe hunter is 18-24 inches.... not sure about jumper.

I think a lot has to do with the horse's personality, rather than size, gender, etc. Some horses, like ours, love to jump. (He's 18, by the way, and that hasn't slowed him down a bit). Others don't seem to enjoy it much, and while you can make them jump if you keep after them, you can tell it just isn't their favorite thing to do. Since you already have two horses, when/if they are the right age (as mentioned in other responses) why not see if it is something they enjoy. You might not need to buy a "jumping" horse.

Max's Mom, our two are both just weanlings, so I will need to get something older to give it a try with.

I can see how personality would be very important. I want to be sure it's something the horse would like doing. No fun for them to be a square peg in a round hole!

You've gotten great advice already...I certainly can't add anything useful. Except maybe to say, enjoy!!! We started doing hunter this year and LOVE it. Even this tubby old fart managed to get around without a fault by the last show of our club's season
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back